KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Why "I, Frankenstein" is going to suck the balls of a homeless man

Why "I, Frankenstein" is going to suck the balls of a homeless man
Started by: Lestov16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Why "I, Frankenstein" is going to suck the balls of a homeless man

I just viewed the trailer to the new Aaron Eckhardt film, I Frankenstein, and like most of you, I am massively disappointed in the way the Monster is being portrayed. But why? The film doesn't look terrible by any means, and had Frankenstein never been mentioned, I would have loved to see this film as an escapist popcorn flick. I have no problem seeing Aaron Eckhardt as a brooding undead badass taking down demonic gargoyles. But NOT AS FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER. By including the Monster here, they have

a) negated the point of the original story, mainly the point about the Monster being unable to blend in with society due to his appearance. Obviously, Eckhardt doesn't seem to have too much trouble in this adaptation

b) makes Frankenstein into some kind of Harry-Potter-esque magic world that it never was. I know the story of Frankenstein is a fantastical one, and obviously galvanizing stitched up body parts won't bring it to life, but it was never supernatural like this. It was pure sci-fi.

c)completely missed the point of the original story, which was about a man who played God and couldn't control his creation. This film is generic "stop bad guys from conquering Earth" stuff and will probably not even attempt to convey the original story's message.

This trailer reminded me massively of Van Helsing, in which another famous literary character was updated into an action hero, but at least with Helsing, he actually was a monster hunter in the books, so the viewer can make the stretch that he hunts other monsters too. With this film though, they have changed the Monster's character so unrecognizably that it doesn't even qualify to be called the same character.

This is why people are upset at this film. Not because it looks like a popcorn flick, because there are plenty of great popcorn flicks (i.e. Pacific Rim), but because it's trying to pass itself off as a sequel or spin-off to Shelley's original work, but completely disregards everything that made Shelley's work so famous. It's blatantly clear that they chose the Monster as the protagonist here not because they wanted to adapt Shelley's character to modern times, but merely because Frankenstein's Monster is universally popular and is a safe bet to draw in a profit.

Films are art first and money-makers second. Unfortunately, due to the high costs and profits of making films, Hollywood has long forgotten this. Films have to have SOME originality to them. Even Pacific Rim, whose premise of giant robots vs giant monsters has been done to death, was entertaining merely because it was trying to tell it's own original story, rather than dumb itself down to market itself to the widest audience. It's tragically obvious though that the makers of I Frankenstein don't want to tell a story. They just want your money, and they will appeal to the lowest common denominator to get it. As I said earlier, if this film used it's own original protagonist, I would love to see it. But the filmmakers are essentially pimping out Frankenstein's name ONLY to attract an audience to pay to see it.

The filmmakers are trying to attract an audience purely on the popularity of Frankenstein. That means that the filmmakers were focused more on making profit than making art. That means that they didn't have any passion in making the film. That means they didn't put much effort into making the film. That means the movie is going to suck ass.

In conclusion, I will state once again. If this film had it's own protagonist, I would be ecstatic to see this film. But seeing the filmmakers try to exploit Frankenstein's popularity only confirms that they don't care about the film, only the profit it will generate, and thus more than likely produced something mediocre, or worst.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Oct 24th, 2013 02:45 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I enjoyed Frankenstein Unbound. 1990.
Cheesy as it was, It's far more acceptable than this trash.

Last edited by the ninjak on Oct 24th, 2013 at 05:07 PM

Old Post Oct 24th, 2013 05:02 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Even when they showed this at the San Diego Comic-con it didn't get a positive reaction

i checked out the trailer a few months back and meh from me too.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2013 05:54 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, the more I see from this, the dumber it looks. New TV spot below. I know I keep mentioning it, but I'd seriously much rather see the Wachowskis do their Doc Frankenstein as a live action film. I think it would be a little more self-aware and probably more irreverent.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 12:50 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

After seeing a trailer it didn't look quite as bad as I thought, but I love Aaron Eckhart as an actor so I might be a bit biased here, not that I'm expecting much out of it or anything still.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 01:52 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Movie looks pretty bad. Surprised Eckhart took this on.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 03:08 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Me too actually. Doesn't seem fitting for someone awesome like Eckhart to be in this... trainwreck of a film.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 03:31 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

if yvonne strahovski is nude then, this will be worth it

hahahaha

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 05:19 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Here is some advice. Go see the movie before crying about it.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 05:53 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
if yvonne strahovski is nude then, this will be worth it

hahahaha

Still watching this as a download, looks way too crappy to see in a theatre.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 06:06 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Well it feels the same vein as Legion & Priest. Both not perfect but at least entertaining.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 07:16 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I know this is another movie based on a comic......which i first heard about a few months back

i'm guessing the comic is better or not.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 07:37 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Originally posted by quanchi112
Here is some advice. Go see the movie before crying about it.
This coming from the guy who hated Man of Steel before it even released.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 08:40 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Lestov, sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 01:17 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Yeah try reading up on what its about, Rather then ranting on about thinking it might not have something to do with the Mary Shelley story.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 01:21 PM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

It's going to suck. I am willing to bet 1 billion imaginary dollars (or $7 in food stamps; your choice).

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 04:11 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Robtard
Still watching this as a download, looks way too crappy to see in a theatre.

i might be doing the same.. very doubtful i will be paying money to see this

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 06:22 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

It looks like cheap and easy entertainment. I mean, there's a lot of gutter trash released lately with high profile actors (Hansel and Gretel, etc.) so this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. I wasn't particularly concerned with Frankenstein being done correctly any more than I'm upset about yet another Dracula adaptation on tv that has steampunk style technology. I might Red Box this at least. The action might be redeeming.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2013 07:45 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

It looks like the CW version of Frank. All about getting the little tweeny girls to SQUEEEE!!!

muh gawd this could make BILLIONS!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2013 01:09 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
It looks like cheap and easy entertainment. I mean, there's a lot of gutter trash released lately with high profile actors (Hansel and Gretel, etc.).

Hansel & Gretel was actually decent....well i thought it was.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2013 02:05 AM