KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Best Screen Depiction of Helen of Troy?

Best Screen Depiction of Helen of Troy?
Started by: Slowpoke

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Slowpoke

Best Screen Depiction of Helen of Troy?

Helen is the most beautiful woman in Greek mythology, but her character was a bit bland, so was Paris after the war started, so the screen adaptations usually add a lot to both their characters and their romance.

I've watched most of the screen depictions of Helen and that's my feeling.

(please log in to view the image)

Hedy Lamarr probably was the best choice to play Helen in movie history(the other one was Grace Kelly). She did play the character in Love of the Three Queens but the makeup and hairstyle was not so good. And it was about an actress playing all three famous female characters. It gave little characterization to Helen.

Elizabeth Taylor was another legend, she played the character in Dr. Faustus, the Gothic style fit the movie well, but not the Helen in mythology.

Rossana Podestà was a good Helen. She was so nice and cute in the 1956 Helen of Troy, other than being blonde she fit Greek beauty very well while she was Italian. The movie made Paris a big hero and Helen a lovely woman to love him since they met each other. Typical Hollywood love drama.

Irene Papas(Trojan Women) was probably the biggest miscast. She is the only Greek actress who had played Helen in famous movies but she doesn't look beautiful to me at all. Vanessa Redgrave's Andromache was much more beautiful than her. In this movie that was based on the famous play, Helen was more of a vile being in Trojan women's eyes but she also spoke for herself. I say she acted ok but didn't have much screen time.

Sienna Guillory played the role in 2003's Helen of Troy miniseries. This miniseries was criticized for changing the mythology too much, especially making Achilles a big bald mongol and Agamemnon a pure villain who raped Helen.

But this version probably gave Helen the most character development. It showed her life before she met Paris. She was cursed by her beauty and suffered so much in her life. She chose Paris not just because of the goddess Aphrodite, but also because he cares about her. In the end she had lost everything, and could do nothing but follow Menelaus(who was a nice guy in this movie) back to Sparta, waiting for the reunion with Paris in the afterlife. It made her a real tragic figure, I like this one a lot and the theme music of Helen was so beautiful.

Diane Kruger is the most beautiful Helen in my eyes, and she is one of my favorite actresses, but the movie didn't give Helen too much importance, Petersen wasn't even planning to let Helen show up in the movie before WB asked him to do so. She and Orlando Bloom lack of chemistry due to the script. The director's cut version gave her more screen time. This is the only version which Helen and Paris both survived and went away in the end. Menelaus was killed by Hector in the middle of the movie.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 08:45 PM
Slowpoke is currently offline Click here to Send Slowpoke a Private Message Find more posts by Slowpoke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I don't know much about her representation in films, but Troy (2004) is one of my favorite movies. It's fantastic.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 09:01 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slowpoke

The 1961 Italian version, Helen was depicted as a villainous woman.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 10:31 PM
Slowpoke is currently offline Click here to Send Slowpoke a Private Message Find more posts by Slowpoke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Troy is the best film and the woman paying her is arguably the hottest, based on superior filming technology though int sure

Old Post May 4th, 2019 12:03 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I don't know much about her representation in films, but Troy (2004) is one of my favorite movies. It's fantastic.

thumb up

Old Post May 4th, 2019 12:36 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I’m partial to Bar Paly.

She went from victim/resigned to being lusted after/using men...

...to kick ass, self assured warrior who could deal w. men as an equal...
...over the course of a couple of appearances and a small but enjoyable character arc on DC’s LEGENDS OF TOMORROW.

She (Paly) is the hottest of the helen actresses bar none (no pun intended):

Old Post May 4th, 2019 09:53 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Hott indeed. thumb up

Old Post May 4th, 2019 01:25 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

yes thumb up

Old Post May 4th, 2019 08:43 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slowpoke

Yeah she's good while it's not really based on the Trojan war.

I still think Diane is the most beautiful one.

Old Post May 4th, 2019 09:04 PM
riv6672

Well, she was transported from there. stick out tongue

AKA, glad you liked the pick, though. thumb up

Old Post May 5th, 2019 09:16 AM