KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel

Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Martin Scorcese Slams Marvel

Link

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 08:24 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I overall disagree, even though I'd not compare the story quality of a film like GoTG to his The Departed, they're both great films, but for different reasons and "cinema" is a very broad thing.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Oct 4th, 2019 at 09:03 PM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 08:51 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Old timers in the 60's said the same thing about Westerns.
In the 80s it was over the top action movies, etc.

Nothing new here.

Last edited by Inhuman on Oct 4th, 2019 at 09:09 PM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 09:01 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Especially considering multiple marvel movies have plenty of relationship and character building. The soul stone fight between Hawkeye and Widow was so touching because they've shown for years that they're at least as good friends as Cap and Bucky are just for one example.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 09:08 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

scorcese is correct. thumb up

unlike him, I enjoy some comic book movies, but they are all pretty dumb and lacking any true substance

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 09:12 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

His point seems to center on the apparent lack of "convey, emotional, psychological experiences to another", is simply wrong though. That happens even in comic films, you may personally feel they're shit performances (and some are), but they happen.

Tony with Peter

Thor with Loki

Thor in Infinity War when he's talking about all he's lost in life and what keeps him going

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 09:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

I see no complexity in their linear and predictable human relationships. The addition of funny wisecracks and banter doesn't change that. Characters switching from good guy to bad guy to good guy definitely does not change that (yes, I'm talking to you as well, star wars)

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 10:42 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Well that was quite pretentious of Scorsese.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 11:18 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

In fairness, I don't think they're aimed at him.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 11:26 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Scorsese says comic book movies aren't cinema just like Bill Maher says that Stan Lee is overrated just like Roger Ebert says that video games aren't art.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it or even acknowledge it.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 02:08 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I expected better from someone like Scorcese, tbh.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 02:18 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

F^CK THAT ***** SCORSESE..

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 03:37 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Usually hear this talk from a director every 5 month's these days. He's entitled to his opinion doesn't mean i have to agree with it.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 04:07 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Based Scorsese laying out facts.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 04:31 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Somewhere Quanchi just added Scorsese to ...."THE LIST!"

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 06:27 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Its his opinion. Disney shills dont allow different opinions.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 08:17 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Joss Whedon replied to it on twitter.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 08:34 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
scorcese is correct. thumb up

unlike him, I enjoy some comic book movies, but they are all pretty dumb and lacking any true substance
I'm going to semi agree but go a step further. These "comic book" movies bar character names bear little resemblance to comic books. They do not convey the scale of a cosmic comic, or even the kitsch emotional narrative of how Kotvac died for love in Avengers 167. No comic book movie has had the high melodrama of Miller's first Daredevil run say. They are more 1 dimensional than the two dimensional pages they are taken from. That is not to say Iron Man 1 or V for Vendetta are not great films. They are exceptions to everything I just said and there are others. Focussing on the soap opera and crossover elements of Marvel comics hasn't helped the plot.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:30 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Re: Martin Scorcese Slams Marvel

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Link

(please log in to view the image)

Obviously some comic films are better than others at conveying real psychological and emotional human experiences. But they all largely overwhelm those elements with "theme park" spectacle that is more aimed at kids and the inner child of adults. So I think Scorsese certainly makes good points. The best films (no matter what genre: sci-fi, drama, action/adventure, etc) do incorporate real humanity in them, so completely disregarding a whole sub-genre seems a little extreme and close-minded, but I imagine he's speaking more out of irritation that comicbook films have basically taken over the market and smaller, more human films get buried and obscured. Which is why I still value the Oscars because they still serve as a vehicle to expose people to great films that they may not otherwise know about. Green Book, for example, was amazing. I likely wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for the Oscars.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
F^CK THAT ***** SCORSESE..

Lol, So all you comic nerds, try not to get all your panties in a bunch, because Scorsese is an old-school filmmaker, so this shouldn't be all that surprising.

Originally posted by Robtard
I overall disagree, even though I'd not compare the story quality of a film like GoTG to his The Departed, they're both great films, but for different reasons and "cinema" is a very broad thing.

Right, cinema has changed drastically with advances in technology. It was inevitable. My mom always says she can't stand all the new special effects. She watches tons of movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I mean, I get it, the special effects often do overwhelm real human experience. Anyone should be able to sympathize with that especially coming from someone from a much older generation. That being said, I was able to turn my mom onto some great modern films like The Matrix Trilogy. She loves the Matrix films' mixture of ideas and human connection. At least the special effects largely exist in support of the story (with some spectacle, of course).

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 03:15 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by Kazenji
Joss Whedon replied to it on twitter.

You don't care to share what he said?

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 03:16 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote