KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Why are Marvel Movies doing better than Star Wars Movies?

Why are Marvel Movies doing better than Star Wars Movies?
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why are Marvel Movies doing better than Star Wars Movies?

It begs the question if Disney can knock out successful Marvel movies one after another why can’t they do the same with Star Wars movies.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 09:34 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Because they didn't plan the ST for SW...they just did whatever.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 09:37 PM
Zenwolf is currently offline Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

ST?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 09:37 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Better focus groups, much smaller and less rabid fanbase to offens, they' tend to be better overall, etc.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 09:38 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Sequel trilogy.
It's because they don't respect the source material

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 09:38 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Much better planning and great leadership.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 09:50 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Better focus groups, much smaller and less rabid fanbase to offens, they' tend to be better overall, etc.

Something like this, y'all gotta remember, Marvel and comics were considered kinda nerdy before Iron Man came out, now everybody and their dog is a Marvel expert.

SW and Star Trek fans have always been pretty touchy.

And just because one does well does not mean another would. If you had given all of Star Wars to feige and the Russo's, they could have very well ****ed it up even worse.

I also believe that Disney is a soulless Cash cow and we are going to be seeing a serious decline in movie quality from the Marvel department as well. I think Endgame really was the end.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 09:59 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
It begs the question if Disney can knock out successful Marvel movies one after another why can’t they do the same with Star Wars movies.

not necessarily a plan they had for star wars, however that is going to change

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:03 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

They had an overarching plan up to Endgame and did the detail as they went. They rarely reacted to negative reviews of certain films (probably the only big tone change was in the Thor trilogy from Dark World to Ragnarok)

They also have better relationships between characters in the MCU and the only one they pulled back on was Banner and Natasha.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:09 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Because they didn't plan the ST for SW...they just did whatever.

This is pretty much the answer. They had no real plan for the new movies, each movie was made without any real thought on how to connect to the next one. There was no coherent roadmap, if there was one at all.

Disney also less willing to take risks on who they gave the franchise to. With Marvel they would give movies to relatively unknown or up and coming indie directors. Like the Russos only directed a few television episodes before they directed Winter Soldier, if I'm not mistaken, now they've directed the highest grossing film of all time. Taika Waititi was known for a quirky vampire comedy, then they gave him the reins to Thorn. James Gunn was known for off the wall Troma horror movies, gave him Guardians of the Galaxy.

With Star Wars, aside from Rian Johnson, they've given their movies to very famous or mainstream directors or producers. Without risk, there won't be much reward for them.

This might be changing with Mandalorian. I hear Werner Herzog wants to do an episode next season, if he likes it maybe he'd do a Star Wars movie of some kind. I hope they learn from the success of Mandalorian, and see that doing something different and daring is what leads to success.

Last edited by BackFire on Dec 21st, 2019 at 11:22 PM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:20 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

Is the mandalorian that good?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:24 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It's good. Not amazing, but it's compelling and it seems to have done the impossible - be enjoyed by the majority of Star Wars fans. And it's doing all that without Jedi or much stuff about the force. Essentially it's a western in the Star Wars universe.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:26 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

The planned them out for one. For two they actually like their core fanbase.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:33 PM
Psychotron is currently offline Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Marvel plans the movies out in phases and with a competant team

With Star Wars they didn't have a plan at all, the ST is proof of that. Could say the OT is as well considering Leia turned out to be Luke's sister. erm

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:38 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

I keep seeing ST, is that for sequel trilogy?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:48 PM
steverules_2

Yeah, gets mistaken for Star Trek.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:51 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by BrolyBlack

Marvel Studios > Lucasfilm.

Same company, yes, but... different subsidiary, different people in charge of things.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:54 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

Also I would like to point out that Marvel just made movies based off of preestablished stories from the comics. I'm surprised no one brought that up already. Marvel already had 50 + years of stories to choose from. Makes it a lot easier.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:56 PM
steverules_2

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Also I would like to point out that Marvel just made movies based off of preestablished stories from the comics. I'm surprised no one brought that up already. Marvel already had 50 + years of stories to choose from. Makes it a lot easier.

Star Wars has comics and books they could’ve used

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2019 12:07 AM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

And everybody wished they did

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2019 12:12 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote