KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » How did Smaug know the Darkness was coming?

How did Smaug know the Darkness was coming?
Started by: KuRuPT Thanosi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KuRuPT Thanosi

How did Smaug know the Darkness was coming?

He had been seemingly asleep for sometime and yet once he awoke and was talking to Bilbo... he somehow knew that the darkness was coming... Was this every explained in the book that I'm not remembering?

Old Post Sep 15th, 2014 06:28 PM
KuRuPT Thanosi is currently offline Click here to Send KuRuPT Thanosi a Private Message Find more posts by KuRuPT Thanosi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

In the book there was no reference to this because the Necromancer was a much less important character and his machinations were just a convenient way for Tolkein of tying up Gandalf so that he wouldn't be able to help Thorin & Co through Mirkwood or with Smaug and so that Bilbo could grow as a character. At some point in the novels (I think one of the LOTR books) I believe it's suggested that Gandalf instigated the quest with the hope of using the Dwarves to kill Smaug because he realized that dark forces were gathering and it would behoove him to preemptively take out one of their potential weapons before said dark forces made their move.

In the movie canon, presumably Sauron/Necromancer is communicating with Smaug telepathically, or else he has some kind of cosmic awareness.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2014 04:50 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kadan
Ancalagon The Black

Smaug has been around for quite a bit, presumably he would have an inkling of the coming darkness.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 02:45 AM
Kadan is currently offline Click here to Send Kadan a Private Message Find more posts by Kadan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

In he extended edition it's clarified that Sauron and Smaug are in an alliance. Which, incidentally, is what Gandalf sought to prevent.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 02:51 AM
ares834 is online now! Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
In he extended edition it's clarified that Sauron and Smaug are in an alliance. Which, incidentally, is what Gandalf sought to prevent.

Yeah the problem with that from a storytelling perspective is that it makes it inexplicable why Smaug is just sitting on his ass instead of destroying the elves of Mirkwood to make Sauron's job easier.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 03:37 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote