KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Resident Evil

Resident Evil
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Resident Evil

https://deadline.com/2019/01/reside...lix-1202541277/

quote:
German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio.

RIP

PWNT

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 02:21 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Why RIP?

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 03:48 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

James wan is one of the producers on it, So there's some hope there from it with resemble something to do with the games.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 04:33 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I’ve always liked the movies. Good mindless fun; evil corporations, hot babes, grisly deaths, gallows humor, nice creep factor.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 05:12 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The movies were absolute shit if you were a fan of the games, But if you've never played them i can see why some people liked the movies.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 08:07 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

If such a show is set in the Aliceverse of RE, then it is doomed, yeah.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 08:26 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Why RIP?
I'm a hardcore fan of the games so maybe I'm biased, but I really disliked the movies. Anyone who hard a part in them being involved with this just rubs me wrong. Especially since they're already using the same "loosely based on the games" blueprint as the movies. REs story was never anything above a c-tier horror movie (except 7 which had a surprisingly solid story) so I'm not looking for a scene by scene translation, but I do want more effort than the d-tier action flicks we already got.

PWNT

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 09:02 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Let's entrust a TV series to the same group that can hardly keep track of the events in their own movies. Yeah that makes sense!

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 09:27 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I’m not a video game player so, no problems here.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 10:24 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

^ Pretty much what i was getting at.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 11:44 AM
riv6672

^^^pretty much what i was agreeing with.

On that topic though, i have NEVER seen the issue w. something being different from the source material.
As most of us are comics geeks we’re familiar w. the multiverse concept. I just figure what i’m watching/reading is a different reality from the more familiar one.
Now, if what i’m watching/reading sucks in and of itself thats fine, but dismissing something because its not the same as the source material? Nah.

Now, that MAY not be whats being said here, but thats how it reads.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 12:12 PM
Arachnid1

No, I wouldn't care how accurate it is as long as it was good (and translated at least a few big points like BOWs and Umbrella). They're not though. They've been universally panned since the first movie (and that was the only one I could actually somewhat enjoy). They're RE in name only, which sucks because we could at least be getting something enjoyable out of the property if it hadn't been blocked by the movies for the past 16 years. At that point, they should have just made it a new franchise. Instead, we got some of the worst video game movies ever made, and I think it's understandable that fans of the game franchise would be weary of anything tied to any of the creators of those movies.

It's like any of the MCU movies. None of them are all that accurate to the comics but they don't have to be because they're good takes in their own right (though a little heavy on all the comedy IMO). I thought Toomes being Liz's father was a great twist in Homecoming. The new reasoning for Civil War was also better done since it didn't sh*t all over Starks character by making him an outright villain.

I can't say the same about the RE movies. They didn't improve anything. The action was worse, the story was worse, the horror was worse, the characters and their development was worse, (etc...). I think your position is similar to mine for the Avatar movie. I've never seen the show so I thought the movie was at least somewhat enjoyable. My sister is a huge fan of the show though, so she hated it and understands its low ratings (after a talk with her, turns out everything I thought was cool in the movie was right out of the show so everything that was original to the movie just made it an inferior product).

PWNT

Old Post Jan 25th, 2019 06:27 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

@Riv

except when it comes to the Resident Evil games to movies comparison, It's a complete bastardization for the films starring Milla. None of the character's resemble what they did from the games

if you want proper one's go watch the animated films that have been done.

Last edited by Kazenji on Jan 26th, 2019 at 01:53 AM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2019 01:50 AM
riv6672

Like i said.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2019 04:50 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

That you don't give a shit, Okay.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2019 04:51 AM
riv6672

Not trying to be flip, its just the two responses, long and concise, still go w. its different it sucks as main points.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2019 04:52 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

And clearly you didn't read Arachnid's response, Pretty much cements my response regarding the differences for the adaption's

Old Post Jan 26th, 2019 04:58 AM
riv6672

I read it, and i got the same thing i got from yours. Its different it sucks as main points of your arguments.

I also get this conversation isn't heading anywhere remotely entertaining. Later!

Old Post Jan 26th, 2019 06:11 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Well don't forget that Paul WS Anderson is not an extremely intelligent filmmaker. So I think the opinion that the films suck is perfectly legitimate whether you're familiar with the games or not. Don't get me wrong, he's actually a decent director, but not a writer...

I mean, I knew from the first film when the disease spread through the air conditioning ducts in the super state-of-the-art facility that I was in for an idiotic series, so I gauged my expectations accordingly. And in doing that I actually enjoyed some of the sequels just as stupid fun. And I like Milla Jovavich, so that helps.

But yeah, i think it's hard to make the case that they're good movies.

I don't game either, so I have no comparison. I do know the games are pretty beloved, though, and from what I saw they seemed cool. so fans of the games probably do deserve something better, but unfortunately videogame movie adaptations don't typically get A+ production.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Feb 4th, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2019 12:07 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

I like the movies for what they are generally but they destroyed the RE games IMO. The games were atmospheric and mysterious the films did zero to to give us that. It'd be like if they remade Alien and made it like ALF. That's how terribly bad they got it.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Feb 4th, 2019 01:44 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote