KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Reacher

Reacher
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Reacher

Alan Ritchson cast as Reacher.

"Amazon Studios, Skydance TV and Paramount TV Studios have found their Jack Reacher. Alan Ritchson (Titans) has been tapped for the title role in Jack Reacher, the streamer’s drama series based on the character from Lee Child’s international bestselling series of books."

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2020 10:10 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

saw this. don't really think he is that great of an actor so hopefully a good actress is cast and good writer

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 5th, 2020 06:59 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Well, he’s younger than the written character, but he’s taller and larger than Tom Cruise, so I’ll call it even.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2020 11:49 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Well, he’s younger than the written character, but he’s taller and larger than Tom Cruise, so I’ll call it even.

true

Old Post Sep 6th, 2020 07:05 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thats one thing i liked about Cruise's casting. It was actually age appropriate. Cruise is 2 years younger than Reacher.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2020 08:53 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

In the first book about Reacher (chronologically), The Affair, he's 36. The Killing Floor, the first book in the series, is set six months after that. So Alan Ritchson is actually the perfect age at 37.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2020 10:33 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Dreampanther
In the first book about Reacher (chronologically), The Affair, he's 36. The Killing Floor, the first book in the series, is set six months after that. So Alan Ritchson is actually the perfect age at 37.

Depends on where in the timeline the series is set/whether they’re going to adapt different books or just do present day Reacher stories.

The only info I have on the project is this thread, which is to say, not a lot. There are variables to consider, as I mentioned above, as to how age appropriate this casting is or isn’t.

I’m just making conversation though. It won’t bother me one way or the other, as to how old the character is. It didn’t bother me that Cruise was about a foot and a half shorter than Reacher, as he played the character as a badass fighter, which tracked.

I know Cruise’s (lack of) size bothered Lee Child, so he should be happy they’ve gotten closer to the mark this time out!

Old Post Sep 7th, 2020 11:33 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Dreampanther

what is reacher's skill set in the books as opposed to what tom cruise did

Old Post Sep 7th, 2020 07:04 PM
riv6672

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
what is reacher's skill set in the books as opposed to what tom cruise did

It’s easier to read the books than explain, but this is from some Googling.

quote:
Reacher is described as proficient in hand-to-hand combat. He is quite fast for his height, and often fights opponents his size or larger. His skill is attributed to the fact that he grew up all over the world, due to being in a Marine Corps family. While he is not a master in any one form of combat, he tends to incorporate moves from various styles. His favorite moves are headbutts, elbow strikes, and kicks to the groin. As Child once put it, "Reacher's fighting style is like a running chainsaw". Reacher generally goes with the flow of the fight, caring about winning more than how he wins. However, he plans out how to strike first or react to the first strike, and how he'll make sure the other person never fights him again. As he puts it, "The other guy cares how he wins, I care about pissing on the other guy's grave."

Reacher has an internal clock. He sets a time to wake up at and his body automatically awakens. He often sets a timer in fights to try and get a tactical edge. Reacher also has a fascination with numbers. In Bad Luck and Trouble, Reacher uses this to deduce that the amount of money deposited without his knowledge into his bank account was an attempt by Neagley, his colleague from the Military Police Corps, to contact him.

Reacher has extremely acute deduction skills. He generally gains his information simply from talking to people or making minute observations. He will pick up on a simple pause and relate it back to what he is trying figure out. He is known as one of the best investigators the Military Police Corps had to offer, and he led a special unit tasked with difficult cases.

Reacher is also described as skilled marksman, principally in One Shot, being the only non-Marine to win the US Marine Corps 1000 Yard Invitational rifle competition.

quote:
Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest. In Never Go Back, he is described as having "a six-pack like a cobbled city street, a chest like a suit of NFL armor, biceps like basketballs, and subcutaneous fat like a Kleenex tissue."In his youth, his physical appearance likened to that of a 'bulked-up greyhound'. He also reveals that his size is purely genetic; he states in Persuaderand Never Go Back that he is not much of an exercise enthusiast.

quote:
His various other scars include one from a chest shot with a .38 Special and a powder burn from a near-miss at point blank range, and one on his arm where his brother struck him with a chisel.

He suffers his first ever broken nose in Worth Dying For, at over 50 years of age. He resets the bone with a thump from his palm and later puts on a plaster bandage made of duct tape.

quote:
Reacher served 13 years in the U.S. Army. His education consisted of 4 years at Westpoint, and then he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant. His service included tours of duty in Lebanon and Iraq. Reacher received accelerated promotions up to Major, and then he was charged with assault on a civilian which resulted in his demotion to Captain. He was promoted again to Major before he left the service. Reacher earned numerous medals and awards during his service. The most notable were two Silver Stars, the Defense Superior Service Medal, two Legion of Merit awards, the Soldier’s Medal, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2020 07:32 PM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

^ laughing That is the most Marty Stu shit.....
(I didn't mind the movies, but that's because I'm a Tom Cruise whore, and Cruise ain't here...)

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 8th, 2020 09:50 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Lestov16
^ laughing That is the most Marty Stu shit.....

Well no doi, guy! stick out tongue laughing

Old Post Sep 8th, 2020 01:24 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by riv6672
It’s easier to read the books than explain, but this is from some Googling.

thanks

Old Post Sep 8th, 2020 07:26 PM
riv6672

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
thanks

thumb up

Old Post Sep 9th, 2020 08:46 AM
riv6672

Eeeexcellent….

Old Post Dec 4th, 2021 02:08 AM
riv6672

Extended fight scene Eeeexcellence…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4J-NDGOp6k

Old Post Jan 24th, 2022 09:54 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Looking forward to this. I don't know much about Alan Ritchson, but I am happy that he resembles book Jack Reacher in appearance, height/size and age to a decent degree.

Cruise was good and I enjoyed both films, but he was too old and too short and too small.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 25th, 2022 09:40 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Robtard
Looking forward to this. I don't know much about Alan Ritchson, but I am happy that he resembles book Jack Reacher in appearance, height/size and age to a decent degree.

Cruise was good and I enjoyed both films, but he was too old and too short and too small.

Cruise was the right age, but only the size of one of Reacher's legs!

I did like both Reacher films, though they could've been way better.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2022 10:41 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Cruise was 47-48 in Jack Reacher (2012).

Old Post Jan 25th, 2022 10:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Wait, I was thinking Jack Reacher (2012) was based on the first book, it's not, my error.

This show is though and the actor being 37-38 at filming is close enough to Reacher's 36.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2022 11:11 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Reacher books are ridiculous, like Dirk Pitt and all those generic twats. Good fun though.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 11:25 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote