KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The Visible Dark Side

The Visible Dark Side
Started by: Dim

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dim
Creativity

The Visible Dark Side

GL and Co. have said that EP. 2&3 are going to be much darker in tone then EP 1. What do you think they mean by this? I know that the overall palette of the film will be darker and more geometric, but what other visual clues might they include? Looking back on OT it seems to me that the biggest visual aspect of the Dark Side is the cave on Dagaboh. Do you think they're going to use some more of those surreal type sequences to show Anakin's fall?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2000 09:07 PM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UnknownBountyHunter

No parades like at the end of TPM. Also, less glamorous scenes. More "dark alley" type looks. Kind of like in ANH and ESB.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2000 11:45 PM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xizor

Yes, Empire darkness is needed(as is a great script and cast cohesivness). The dingy side of the galaxy needs to be seen. The horrors of slavery, the dark allies of lower coruscant(and the sad citizens oppressed by Palpy). More dark Sith encounters with lighting like in the Luke vs. Vader duels. Dark music and dark places like Dagabah(the cave), the asteroid belt, and the carbonite freezing chamber. Make it Dark scary, an incredible story and DARK!

Old Post Aug 18th, 2000 03:02 AM
Click here to Send Xizor a Private Message Find more posts by Xizor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mace23

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in EII. GL has also come out and said that it will be more of a love story. Perhaps the darkness will slowly come out towards the end of the film. By dark of course the bright colors and such will be toned down and there will be more mood swings visible in Anakins actions.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2000 05:01 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Yeah, I agree with you guys...I can imagine Ep2 will have a dingy color palette contrasted with strong lighting and an moody emotional sway to it. What's really going to be fun to see is how freaky it's going to get in Ep3. I keep trying to figure out what Lucas thinks of when he imagines dark and sinister visual elements. I hope it gets quite a bit stranger than the Cave in Dagaboh..I've always felt that that could have been a little bit more threatening. I feel like Lucas is going to try to enhance that dark, empty void quality that the OT held, but I haven't a clue how he's going to do it.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2000 11:19 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xizor

I feel the same. Irv Kirshner should direct EpIII(he says he wants the job). Or at least a director known for dark movies whose not so out of touch(like Lucas) with the job of directing.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2000 03:35 AM
Click here to Send Xizor a Private Message Find more posts by Xizor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

I think Lucas could pull it off. I don't think Kershner could handle the 16 hour work days at his age, but I think it would be nice (and smart) to have Kershner throw his 2 cents worth in.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2000 04:34 AM
UnknownBountyHunter

At least he's on the crew of Episode II. HEY! I rhymed, how about that. Well gee golly gum your #1.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2000 06:06 AM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

Irvin Kershners on the Episode 2 crew? I never knew that. What is he doing exactly?

Old Post Oct 26th, 2000 05:19 AM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I think its EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that George direct epIII. This film has to carefully bridge what he has built in epI and epII and the OT as we all know it. Tying the whole thing together doesn't involve just the rise of the empire and the fall of anakin, but every little delicate thread that George has woven into this whole fabric. "Will he finish what he begins?" HE HAS TO !!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH !!!

Old Post Oct 26th, 2000 06:20 AM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

Irvin will not at all be asociated with Epi.II.With Epi.III being dark I heard that Lucas is considering having him direct number 3.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Oct 26th, 2000 07:07 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

I heard that Lucas said that he can see no reason why he shouldn't direct all of the prequels. Also, he said that he is very eager to direct the fight scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan. I guess that shows that it won't just be a simple choreographed duel. There will also be a lot of drama included as well.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2000 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I hope I hope I hope someone like Kershner gets the job. Unless GL delivers one kick@ss movie with Ep2.

queeq out

Old Post Oct 26th, 2000 10:52 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

I agree. It should depend on how well he does with the first 2 prequels, whether he should direct the last installment of the saga.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2000 10:57 PM
theEvilJedi

Watch your month queeq.Having Irvin would definetly make Epi.III the best Star Wars film,if not the best film ever made.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2000 02:14 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

Is ass really a swear word? I thought it was a donkey.

Anyway, one thing I forgot to mention about improvement for Episode 2 is the music. Personally I didn't really like the music in Ep1 as much as the music in OT. I hope John Williams brings it more to the style of the OT.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2000 03:16 AM
theEvilJedi

It is also a name for a stupid person.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2000 04:50 AM
Darth Daft

We don't use it over here in England. We say arse which is the same as butt.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2000 02:33 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

I like arse. Hey DD, look at that chicken's cute little arse!

Old Post Oct 28th, 2000 01:27 AM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Daft

Is it cooked?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2000 01:46 AM