KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Review of first 8 minutes of ROTS at AICN

Review of first 8 minutes of ROTS at AICN
Started by: vanyoda

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
vanyoda

Review of first 8 minutes of ROTS at AICN

This was at Ain't It Cool News today.....

Hi Harry,

Long time reader of the site - appreciate all the info you guys manage to pull together. Not sure if this has been posted yet, however I figured I'd send it in just in case.

The company I work for recently was visited by representatives from LucasFilm and a marketing firm, and I was fortunate enough to sneak my way in to the licencing meeting they held. I thought I was going to see some cool new toys, posters, clothing, etc, etc. and was pretty hyped to at least get a peek at some juicy tidbits... little did I know that they had planned to screen the recent Teaser Trailer (this was days before the official release). That was a cool bonus and I was happy just getting to see that early. However, I wasn't expecting that they had brought with them the first eight minutes of the movie! I just about hugged the person who "snuck" me in! But I'm a man.. and men do not hug other men... right? Right?

Well anyway, the scenes were not 100% finished - there were temp soundtracks in place (can't wait to see it with a full John Williams score in place!), computer renditions of sequences and even some voice dubbing for seens that had dialog but not actual shots of the actors - that was funny to hear Anakin's voice to drop a couple octaves when cutting to an exterior shot of his ship. It opens traditionally with the scroll which had some temp text in place as well - at least I hope it did (it was a bit choppy in spots), explaining that General Grevous(sp?) has struck at Coruscant and in a bold move, kidnapped and is holding hostage, Chancellor Palpatine. He is attempting to make his escape from the planet which leads to a HUGE capital ship battle over Coruscant - which is where the opening footage starts. The new ships look great - especially the new (old?) Star Destroyers (which have been shown briefly in the new trailer). The shots of the cap ships slugging it out toe-to-toe are amazing! Never really have we gotten to see that in a Star Wars flick before - so it's something to see here.

It closes in on two new Jedi fighters that are cruising there way along one of the larger ships - followed closely by clone-piloted Republic fighters (look like predecessors to the X-Wing). Anakin and Obiwan are piloting the Jedi fighters and are attempting to get to Grevous' flag ship in order to stage a rescue of Palpatine. All the while the camera is zooming in and out as the enemy ships come screaming in and clone ships are exploding all around them. Anakin and Obi-wan do a lot of back and forth banter with Anakin wanting to help clone pilots in trouble but Obi reigns him in and keeps him on track. Hayden's acting seems a bit wooden in spots but there were a couple of good moments - especially one where Obiwan gives orders to engage enemy craft and Anakin grins evily and says "this is where the fun begins" or something like that. You can see his love for battle and how he views it quite clearly at this point.

Most of the other details are sketchy because it comes at you so fast - the dog fighting and ship combat (at least the finished stuff) was excellent - the opening scene blew away the space battle in Return of the Jedi in it's intensity, in my opinion. The scene that we saw winds up with Obi's ship getting hit with some kind of "missle" that expels a whole bunch of little "bug" droids that climb all over his ship and start dismantling it bit by bit. He tells Anakin to go on ahead but the ever stubborn Anakin tries shooting them off of Obi's ship, which pisses Obi off a wee bit. After getting yelled at, he then pulls up alongside and tries to knock them off with his wing, pissing Obi off even more, who keeps yelling at Anakin to go on without him and get to the Chancellor. As Anakin continues to bat at the small droids, one hops over to Anakins ship and starts to attack R2 while Anakin yells at R2 to "get it!". That's where it ended for us.

The LucasFilm rep went on to tell us about some key points in the movie as well as show us some concept art from the film. The first painting was once Anakin gets on board the Seperatist ship - it shows him standing facing Count Dooku, with Palpatine sitting in a throne of sorts in his Darth Sidious garb (very reminiscent of the throne room in RotJ). He says this is where Anakin kills Dooku/Tyrannus and becomes Sidious' new apprentice. This appears to happen very early in the movie which I wasn't really expecting... The next picture/painting he screened while talking a bit about the Anakin-Obiwan duel showed the two of them hovering (at least that's what it looked like) on some kind of floating platforms over bubbling lava! The last pic he showed was a painting from what he said would be the biggest, BADDEST, lightsaber duel - if not the most anticipated one - of the movie (which we got a hint at in the Trailer): The Emperor versus Yoda! That one caught me by surprise because for some reason I never thought they would have Palpy fighting with anything other than Force-lightning...

I usually tend to stay away from spoilers and have up until that day with RotS... but seeing what I did really got me excited to see what Lucas has up his sleeve for this chapter - it looks to be fairly dark and FILLED with lightsaber battles from beginning to end. I... can't... WAIT!

If I'm not terribly out of date and you do use this, my name is Remo. Thanks Harry!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:38 PM
Click here to Send vanyoda a Private Message Find more posts by vanyoda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

That's awesome. Glad the guy at Lucasfilm agrees with me about Yoda Vs. Sidious being perhaps the most anticipated duel of the film. yes

I like George.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:47 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darktim1

sounds exciting especially the yoda part.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 07:38 PM
Click here to Send darktim1 a Private Message Find more posts by darktim1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
:.Space Opera.:
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh shit, i was hoping they wouldnt put in the lava surf boards.

ART is where the legend began...

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 08:37 PM
Click here to Send :.Space Opera.: a Private Message Find more posts by :.Space Opera.: Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gangularis

it might be cool, you don't know. besides, you already knwo they won't be on them the whole damn time.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 08:57 PM
Click here to Send Gangularis a Private Message Find more posts by Gangularis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

I think that the Yoda - Sidious deul is so anticipated be cause like he said, no one ever thought of Palps using a lightsaber, and how excited did you get when Yoda pulled out his little lightsaber in AOTC? So i dont think it will be as exciting as the OB1 - Ani duel or even sa epic---but surely highly anticapated. What Remo said sounds like GL finally found his way back to how star wars should be. words cant express my feelings for this movie.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 09:03 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by :.Space Opera.:
oh shit, i was hoping they wouldnt put in the lava surf boards.

RM said there would be no surfing at that the rumor was 'ridiculous'.
perhaps there will be stationary platforms, perhaps just chunks of flat rock floating on lava...or perhaps this is just bullshit...it IS AICN after all wink

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 09:03 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gangularis

or perhaps it's like the review says, it was "concept art" and not finished shots..

i like that he mentions anakin's voice is an octive lower. i thought i noticed that in one of the webdocs.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 09:22 PM
Click here to Send Gangularis a Private Message Find more posts by Gangularis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
izz316

I think its fake because do think Lucas would show a preview of the movie for toy meeting. Everyone knows whats happens in the space
battle. I think it fan made story. It also like aotc thing with speed chase
when obi wan telling anakin off and anakin not listening.
On the the force.net scipt which I believe to be true mentions when a star destroyer gets blown up and all clone troops gets away
in space which everyone will notice and he never mentions in the review.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 10:23 PM
Click here to Send izz316 a Private Message Find more posts by izz316 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

I, for one, don't "anticipate" the Yoda vs Emperor fight. It just seems.. off. I'm sorta looking forward to the Anakin vs. Obi-wan duel. But hey, that's just me.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 10:29 PM
Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
izz316

I am looking for the anakin vs obi wan fight because emotion it has because its father vs son. its more emotion than luke vs vader because
anakin knew obi wan for years and thought of him as a father.Luke
just knew that vader was his father. it will give more emotion to obi wan vs vader.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 10:35 PM
Click here to Send izz316 a Private Message Find more posts by izz316 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Crow_T_Robot

Re-read it. He says that Yoda v. Sidious is NOT the most anticipated duel of the film.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 11:50 PM
Click here to Send Crow_T_Robot a Private Message Find more posts by Crow_T_Robot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedijunky1138
Dark Lord of The Sleepy

I don't trust this guy. Some of it may be true but why would LFL show people the first 8 minutes of the film? Also why would they let just anyone in to see it? I know, I know he said the someone sneaked him in but I think that if it were true that LFL would have more security than that. What company does this guy work for anyways? Sorry but I think this is just a lot of spoilers and the trailer put together to get this unbelievable story. Most of the stuff he said we already know about.

BIG DEAL!

I know I sound like a prude but I just don't believe this story.

I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 12:05 AM
Click here to Send jedijunky1138 a Private Message Find more posts by jedijunky1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naredhel
General

It was officially screened... I posted a message a while ago seeing if anyone had it and would release it big grin

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 12:21 AM
Click here to Send Naredhel a Private Message Find more posts by Naredhel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

quote:
Originally posted by Crow_T_Robot
Re-read it. He says that Yoda v. Sidious is NOT the most anticipated duel of the film.

ok why do YOU go re-read it. he says "one of - if not the most anticipated..."

theres a big difference between "is not" and "if not". read more closely next time.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 12:29 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Ok, here's exactly whatt he said "Would be the biggest, BADDEST, lightsaber duel - if not the most anticipated one - of the movie"

I like George.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 12:44 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CHRISTIAN

it;s fake,i dont believe him

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 01:17 AM
Click here to Send CHRISTIAN a Private Message Find more posts by CHRISTIAN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anakin2Vader

quote:
Originally posted by Crow_T_Robot

aaahhhh hahaha LOL

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 01:17 AM
Click here to Send Anakin2Vader a Private Message Find more posts by Anakin2Vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Boris

It must be online, we must find it.....

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 01:21 AM
Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xanatos
Pop Corn

Thanks for volunteering stick out tongue

I dont care what any one says Inutaishou is the best Inuyasha charachter followed by Sesshomaru.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2004 01:28 AM
Click here to Send Xanatos a Private Message Find more posts by Xanatos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote