KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Luke & Leia question

Luke & Leia question
Started by: Falacerjedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Falacerjedi
Force Lightning user IRL

Luke & Leia question

...sorry if this has been asked in another thread I searched a few of em but didn't find an answer to my question...

So end of RotS Bail, Yoda and Obi-Wan all know about the twins and where they are going, their names, etc, etc...

...fastforward to ESB and when Luke leaves for Cloud City to face Vader for the first time Obi-Wan says "that boy is our last hope" but Yoda says "no there is another"... Did Obi-Wan forget about Leia while he was watching over Luke all those years? He knew about the twins in RotS so it seems unlikely he forgot about her so did he think because she had not yet realized her connection to Luke & Anakin/Vader that she maybe wasn't able to use the force or feel it yet?

Been rewatching the original 3 movies to try and make the connections between the new 3 movies and the originals to see how well GL connected all the stories and similarities and a few questions have been popped in my head.

...again if this was covered somewhere else post a link to it and i will read that thread - thanks!

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:16 AM
Click here to Send Falacerjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Falacerjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Falacerjedi
...sorry if this has been asked in another thread I searched a few of em but didn't find an answer to my question...

So end of RotS Bail, Yoda and Obi-Wan all know about the twins and where they are going, their names, etc, etc...

...fastforward to ESB and when Luke leaves for Cloud City to face Vader for the first time Obi-Wan says "that boy is our last hope" but Yoda says "no there is another"... Did Obi-Wan forget about Leia while he was watching over Luke all those years? He knew about the twins in RotS so it seems unlikely he forgot about her so did he think because she had not yet realized her connection to Luke & Anakin/Vader that she maybe wasn't able to use the force or feel it yet?

Been rewatching the original 3 movies to try and make the connections between the new 3 movies and the originals to see how well GL connected all the stories and similarities and a few questions have been popped in my head.

...again if this was covered somewhere else post a link to it and i will read that thread - thanks!

I don't know. It didn't seem the twins got a blood test for their midicholrians, so maybe Obi Wan didn't think Leia would be as powerful as Luke.

This has bugged me too.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:19 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

what are you saying....obiwan should have trained leia as well? i dont really followconfused sorryembarrasment

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:20 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

ummm

probably more rhetoric than anything else. It could easily be changed to Yoda saying "no, remember there is another," without chaning the meaning.

Also, and I doubt it since there are so many female Jedi, but Obi-Wan could be being sexist, but a more likely version of this theory is that he just assumes Luke's been trained already, whereas Leia hasn't been AND it's getting pretty late for anything to happen so if it's gonna happen it has to happen soon.

John 3:16 ^Thanks Ast Rofan^

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:20 AM
Click here to Send Lazerlike42 a Private Message Find more posts by Lazerlike42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

maybe leia aint as attuned to the force? can she see the ghosts in rotj?
maybe she has more of padme's side of the dna...and luke has anakins...? confused

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:22 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

lol.... this is going to start a "genetically do midichlorians get passed through paternally dominant or maternally dominant genes" thread

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:24 AM
Click here to Send Lazerlike42 a Private Message Find more posts by Lazerlike42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

^ Agreed. Time was running out, and Obi probably figured that Leia wouldnt be attuned to her powers as Luke was.

Remember, in the OT's there was more than one occasion where people were saying that Luke was just like his father. He had more of his father in him that Leia did most likely.

And Luke was a fast learner.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:26 AM
Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

(the purpose of that line "no there is another one" was aimed at the audience as a cliffhanger.)
But for the sake of debate well there is also the fact that Leia yet had to be trained in the skills of the force and the jediways. As long as Leia wasnt "introduced" to be trained in the ways of the force she was kind off safe from Vader and the Emperor. They hadnt picked upon her force abilities, if any, but probably would if she was to be trained.
Yoda wasnt exactly young and I dont know how they as jedi ghost could train her, and with time running out for the rebellion, the new death star and stuff there wasn`t simply time to train her either.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:36 AM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

very good points! Yoda was near death and without training Leai couldn't see the ghosts

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:40 AM
finti

he he looked at your profile Lazerlike42, your birthday is the day Return of the Jedi premiered in Norway, and the date you registered onto this board is my birthday...........................ok back to topoic last hope huh

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:50 AM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Duffy

But Bail and his wife still had a chance of functioning in society prior to the takover of the empire. Bringing up a Jedi would put pay to all that so they probably decided to bring her up as a normal girl.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:52 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Duffy a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Duffy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

who were to train her as a jedi?, Obi Wan and Yoda was in exile to hide from Vader and the Emperor

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:55 AM
Fishy

And who would be insane enough to do that?

Vader and the Emperor would have hunted her down if she was a Jedi. All Jedi became enemy's of the republic,they needed to die. Palpatine would have done everything he could to make sure Leia would die. He would have send his entire army there to kill her if he knew about a Jedi there.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post May 21st, 2005 09:12 AM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

Originally posted by finti
he he looked at your profile Lazerlike42, your birthday is the day Return of the Jedi premiered in Norway, and the date you registered onto this board is my birthday...........................ok back to topoic last hope huh
big grin

Old Post May 21st, 2005 09:32 AM
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

You know what else....the line: "There's something familiar about this place" would have been perfect if ObiWan and Luke stopped off at Dagobah to see greeny off.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 10:17 AM
Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

double post...Scuse me..

Last edited by tlbauerle on May 21st, 2005 at 10:22 AM

Old Post May 21st, 2005 10:17 AM
Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

thats all right tlbauerle with that cool sig of yours we dont mind

Old Post May 21st, 2005 10:58 AM
kimmeh
vixen

Originally posted by finti
(the purpose of that line "no there is another one" was aimed at the audience as a cliffhanger.)
But for the sake of debate well there is also the fact that Leia yet had to be trained in the skills of the force and the jediways. As long as Leia wasnt "introduced" to be trained in the ways of the force she was kind off safe from Vader and the Emperor. They hadnt picked upon her force abilities, if any, but probably would if she was to be trained.
Yoda wasnt exactly young and I dont know how they as jedi ghost could train her, and with time running out for the rebellion, the new death star and stuff there wasn`t simply time to train her either.

This is the biggest plothole of the saga to me. It annoys the hell out of me that GL didnt do more to tie this one up.

No Leia hadnt been trained but its not like Luke had years of training either. No yoda wasnt young but he certainly had more than enough time to train Leia had he wanted to. And besides the fact, by now we see that Yoda aint exactly that great of a teacher.. Blinded by his arrogance... still holds true in ESB IMO.

Basically to me its a matter of George putting taht line in ROTJ, then when he made the PT said 'oh I'll get to that', and once he got to it time was running short so he axed it. Dodgy at best...

Old Post May 21st, 2005 01:02 PM
Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

Yoda has had 20 years of training under Qui-Gon and has learned the errors in his ways by ESB. He's not being arrogant when he is forceful or confident in what he says to Luke. It's important for a good teacher to be confident always and forceful when required.

Furthermore, Luke had come to Obi-Wan on Tatooine, and been trained to the point where he could see Obi's ghost to be told to go see Yoda. If Luke dies or turns to the dark side, there is no way whatsoever for Yoda (and Ben for that matter) to get Leia to Dagobah for training.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 01:11 PM
snehin
Darth wolf

this topic is forever binding noone nows why obi-one took luke

Old Post May 21st, 2005 01:13 PM
Click here to Send snehin a Private Message Find more posts by snehin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote