KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Lucas really screwed up

Lucas really screwed up
Started by: gambit420

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
gambit420
Ultra Member

Worried Lucas really screwed up

Ok, I saw ROTS opening night and loved it. Somehow tho, I felt a little empty when we left the theatre. I went again last night and now I’m bothered more than ever. This is ultimately how Episode III falls short:

Padme telling Obi-Wan there is still good in him. "We can bring him back... but I'm just going to give up and die now" *sigh

Did the Emperor remind anyone else of Joker in the Batman movie? especially when he's hanging off that senate pod laughing?

"Come with me, there is still good in you." "Obi wan once thought as you did" - No he didn't. The whole time Obi-Wan's attitude you are a sith and I'll take you out if I have to. He never once asked Anakin to stop all this, he knows he’s a good guy but he’s been tricked.

No Imperial March at all, altho it played in Episode II

"Your father wanted you to have this” - Not only did Anakin never say this, it's no longer a weapon of a great hero. "Here's the lightsaber your father used to chop up little kids 20 years ago"

When Palpatine takes out Mace's posse', the first jedi he stabs is looking completely the opposite way?!

The Jedi Temple Raid - This scene had soo much potential too, instead it's cut short like the rest. It would have been cool to see Vader take out one adult jedi

What was up with Palpatines extra deep voice right after he kills Mace?

No spoken dialogue between Obi-Wan and the Lars family! What does he tell them happened to Anakin? and why do they resent obi-wan so much in episode 4? A man they've never seen before just shows up and and hands them a baby? c'mon it's a moisture farm not an orphanage.

Palpatine Declares the Empire - This scene was well done, but why is everyone cheering? He's eradicating democracy and turning our galaxy into a nazi-police state. Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!

No rebellion scenes at all. This is one of those things u'd naturally expect to have been at least mentioned in the prequels

Anakin's final move in the duel - What? that's it?? We've waiting 30 years for that??

Tarkin - ok he's in it for 10 seconds. He even scurries out of Vader's way on the Star Destroyer. But in Episode 4 he's the emperor's right hand man, ranked higher than Darth Vader??

The Emperor and Vader look weaker - The Emperor gets owned by Mace then later runs from Yoda. The only Jedi Vader kills are kids, not to mention the nooooooo scream

The youngling taking out stormtroopers scene was awful. I'm not saying it was a bad idea, it could have been filmed better.

I am far from picky, but episode 3 left soo many questions unanswered. Would it have hurt to have included those scenes? Some of these should have been a priority. I'm sure they'll add some in the special ultimate archival edition. Please let me know what you think!

Last edited by gambit420 on May 21st, 2005 at 05:31 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:19 PM
Click here to Send gambit420 a Private Message Find more posts by gambit420 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ness
Dayz'd and confuze'd

ya that piss me off to

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:27 PM
Click here to Send Ness a Private Message Find more posts by Ness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gambit420
Ultra Member

Oh, and for some reason the battle droid voices are changed (?)

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:29 PM
Click here to Send gambit420 a Private Message Find more posts by gambit420 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The New History
Just leave me alone ok

but the rest was completely bad @$$! rock I didn't have much of a problem at all with III really. completely lived up to my expectations.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:38 PM
Click here to Send The New History a Private Message Find more posts by The New History Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

Re: Lucas really screwed up

Wow, you sooo didn't get it. let's see if we can clear some of this up for you.

**"Padme telling Obi-Wan there is still good in him. "We can bring him back... but I'm just going to give up and die now" *sigh"**

Fable stories have people dying of a broken heart, this is a myth. So you kinda just have to overlook that. Sorry I don't have a better arguement there.

**"Did the Emperor remind anyone else of Joker in the Batman movie? especially when he's hanging off that senate pod laughing?"**

Actually, yeah he did. I thought was very unrealistic.

**""Come with me, there is still good in you." "Obi wan once thought as you did" - No he didn't. The whole time Obi-Wan's attitude you are a sith and I'll take you out if I have to. He never once asked Anakin to stop all this, he knows he’s a good guy but he’s been tricked."**

Yes he did, he said "my teachings have failed you". The whole last bit of the duel was like a philisophical debate. Obi-wan did do what he had to, but he was trying to talk him out of it. I think you just need to see it again. Even at the beginning of the fight, he tries to get him back.

**"No Imperial March at all, altho it played in Episode II"**

No overture, but it is in there, listen to the soundtrack. But I do agree, I would have liked to have heard more.

**“Your father wanted you to have this” - Not only did Anakin never say this, it's no longer a weapon of a great hero. "Here's the lightsaber your father used to chop up little kids 20 years ago" **

Ok, that was always a lie. Ben also said Vader was a different person than Anakin. It was all to protect Luke from knowing the truth before he was ready, but still inspire him as a Jedi. Can't believe you were waiting for Ani to say something along those lines.

**"When Palpatine takes out Mace's posse', the first jedi he stabs is looking completely the opposite way?!"**

Didn't notice that, I'll look next time I see it.

**"The Jedi Temple Raid - This scene had soo much potential too, instead it's cut short like the rest. It would have been cool to see Vader take out one adult jedi"**

I agree with you there, the DVD should have some extended footage of this added back in. There are 5-6 scenes being re-edited in when it comes out on DVD.

**"What was up with Palpatines extra deep voice right after he kills Mace?"**

To show the depths of his power.

**"No spoken dialogue between Obi-Wan and the Lars family! What does he tell them happened to Anakin? and why do they resent obi-wan so much in episode 4? A man they've never seen before just shows up and and hands them a baby? c'mon it's a moisture farm not an orphanage."**

Its implied, we know what they know when we watch 4. Don't take things so literally.

**"Palpatine Declares the Empire - This scene was well done, but why is everyone cheering? He's eradicating democracy and turning our galaxy into a nazi-police state. Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!"**

Hitler was applauded to when he started the Nazi's. Thats the point of the scene. hence Padme saying "So this is how victory dies, to thuderous applause".

**"No rebellion scenes at all. This is one of those things u'd naturally expect to have been at least mentioned in the prequels"**

These scenes will be edited in on DVD.

**"Anakin's final move in the duel - What? that's it?? We've waiting 30 years for that??"**

Again, don't know why that was cut, probably going to be put back in though. They won't waste all the extra footage they have.

**"Tarkin - ok he's in it for 10 seconds. He even scurries out of Vader's way on the Star Destroyer. But in Episode 4 he's the emperor's right hand man, ranked higher than Darth Vader??"**

Another example of you reading to much into it. Tarkin leaves because he's got s**t to do. He looks at Vader like "what the hell is that?' because he's pretty weird and intimidating. 'Specially when you've never seen him before.

**"The Emperor and Vader look weaker - The Emperor gets owned by Mace then later runs from Yoda. The only Jedi Vader kills are kids, not to mention the nooooooo scream"**

He didn't run from Yoda, he knocked him down hard. And he was faking his defeat. That's why Ian overacted that scene, an old stage trick to tell the audience he's lying to the other characters in the scene. He also springs up yelling "unlimited power" implying he was always gonna win, and throughs Mace half a mile away.

**"The youngling taking out stormtroopers scene was awful. I'm not saying it was a bad idea, it could have been filmed better."**

Yes it was. The comic version was better, the youngling is being chased, runs out of he temple, blocking the shots coming at him from behind, and then a trooper talking to Bail shoots him down. That kid in the movie was Lucas' kid, so he probably just did it for him. I agree, its lame.

You make some good points, but some of your points will be cleared up when you watch them a few more times and let it all sink in.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:38 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rubinator
is SYLAR

you are right

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:40 PM
Click here to Send rubinator a Private Message Find more posts by rubinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
randi_jedi

Natalie Portman is such a great actress, I just felt that he scenes fell flat and short. Don't get me wrong I loved the movie, but this is a nit picking thread. Another 20 minutes of exposition would not have hurt this film at all.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:41 PM
Click here to Send randi_jedi a Private Message Find more posts by randi_jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

i totally agree. Its almost like we have to wait till DVD to REALLY see ROTS. Thats kinda lame. I know the edits had to do with the theatres and gettiing it on more screens, same with LOTR, but its really just silly to do that to a movie like this that could have been 4 hours and still made its money. Anyway, at least they'll be a lot of excitment when the DVD comes out I guess.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:43 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The New History
Just leave me alone ok

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
i totally agree. Its almost like we have to wait till DVD to REALLY see ROTS. Thats kinda lame. I know the edits had to do with the theatres and gettiing it on more screens, same with LOTR, but its really just silly to do that to a movie like this that could have been 4 hours and still made its money. Anyway, at least they'll be a lot of excitment when the DVD comes out I guess.
yeah, that does suck. I want him to just take the PT and just put everything he wants in it without worying about the time.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:45 PM
Click here to Send The New History a Private Message Find more posts by The New History Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

Serously. How much better would AOTC have been with showing Padme's family? That was where all the character development was!! It really would have given it a softer feel. And it would have been a great parallel to showing Ani's childhood home in TPM. Who knows, maybe when all 6 get boxed up together he'll re-edit stuff back in to all of 'em. We can only hope...

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:53 PM
The New History
Just leave me alone ok

Serously. How much better would AOTC have been with showing Padme's family? That was where all the character development was!! It really would have given it a softer feel. And it would have been a great parallel to showing Ani's childhood home in TPM. Who knows, maybe when all 6 get boxed up together he'll re-edit stuff back in to all of 'em. We can only hope...
yeah, I couldn't believe he cut it. timing wouldn't have been a problem considering it was only 2 freakin minutes long!

Old Post May 21st, 2005 05:56 PM
Darth Halo
Dark Sith Lord

hey I feel the same way about this movie it is indeed very good and I have been waitng for a very long time to see it. But a lot of things were left out that could have been explained and I think some scenes needed to be left out. I really don't understand why kashyyk was filmed for so long. Also can anyone notice that in ANH anakins saber is not blue.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:12 PM
Click here to Send Darth Halo a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Halo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

oh christ...not this s**t again. Yes it was, ANH just has crappy effects, and the color correction team oversaturated the green in that seen on the DVD. And that's all we vets want to hear about that convo!

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:23 PM
Ic3man

Threepio's memory loss??

Did any one notice that Threepio..having been made by Anakin on Tatooine..and having lived with the Lars family...has no idea he landed on his home planet in the beginning of ANH??? i mean.. that was the weirdest part i found about the transition from ROTS to ANH.....he might have had a memory modification...but still..how does he remember all the battles but not know his own planet....strange isnt it

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:36 PM
Click here to Send Ic3man a Private Message Find more posts by Ic3man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

Yeah strange....unless of course you were listening when bail gave the droids to captain antilles and said "..And have the protocol droids memory erased".

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:38 PM
Ic3man

Oh yea...i forgot that..he did say that didn't he....hehe...oops...my bad..oh well....i guess everything fits...now...i feel better

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:44 PM
Click here to Send Ic3man a Private Message Find more posts by Ic3man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ic3man

one thing i liked about ROTS..was the character build up of Anakin....from "I Will follow the Jedi Order"...to..."Are the Jedi hungry for Power"...to..."The Jedi are traitors to the Republic"...all thanks to the infamous...Palp..

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:46 PM
mephistodesigns

there were a lot of little details easy to miss when everything was happening soooo fast.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:47 PM
gambit420
Ultra Member

Re: Re: Lucas really screwed up

He didn't run from Yoda, he knocked him down hard. And he was faking his defeat.

I was referring to when Palpatine tries to run away in his office and yoda asks why he's leaving if he's soo powerful. Good points tho

Last edited by gambit420 on May 21st, 2005 at 07:00 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:57 PM
alexanderluthor
THE MAN

you all guys are right!!! right after the movie ends.... iwas like walking on thin air, i just couldn't believe such greatness, and the final scene...... it was like saying A NEW HOPE is coming or something like that, then i went home, and started to think how many things this movie lacks of, i didn't like that for example, most of the things were rushed, i know it's only a 2 hour movie but... still, lucas should have thought about this before, anyone knows what am talking about?

Old Post May 21st, 2005 06:58 PM
Click here to Send alexanderluthor a Private Message Find more posts by alexanderluthor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote