KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Dropping lightsabers

Dropping lightsabers
Started by: yodafan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yodafan

Dropping lightsabers

In the movies when someone drops a lightsaber it turns off, why is this? If it is because there is some kind of device in the saber that detects if it is being held how could Yoda throw his lightsaber into a clone and keep it on?

Old Post May 24th, 2005 01:54 AM
Click here to Send yodafan a Private Message Find more posts by yodafan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by yodafan
In the movies when someone drops a lightsaber it turns off, why is this? If it is because there is some kind of device in the saber that detects if it is being held how could Yoda throw his lightsaber into a clone and keep it on?

I think it has to deal with pressure sensitivity, aka a device knowing when it is being held. When Yoda throws his, he could have used the force to keep pressure on the activation switch to keep it ignited.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 01:55 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Oswald Kenobi
Just Passing Through

Some sabers have a pressure switch, I'm sure. Yoda could have very well have used the Force to keep it on.

LOL to the previous poster. You just beat me to it.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 01:56 AM
Click here to Send Oswald Kenobi a Private Message Find more posts by Oswald Kenobi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
I think it has to deal with pressure sensitivity, aka a device knowing when it is being held. When Yoda throws his, he could have used the force to keep pressure on the activation switch to keep it ignited.

Damnit I was gonna bring up the Yoda thing, but I noticed you thought ahead.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 01:57 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

lol..ken and oswald are brothers laughing out loud

Old Post May 24th, 2005 01:58 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Mist
lol..ken and oswald are brothers laughing out loud

laughing out loud

Oswald...Oswald, is that you? Mom has been sad ever since Yoda and Dad put us on two different planets. Hehe, I got to go to Alderaan and become a Prince, you get to clean Moisture Vaporators. stick out tongue

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:01 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

Didnt Vader's lightsaber stay on when he threw it at Luke in ROTJ?

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:04 AM
Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
laughing out loud

Oswald...Oswald, is that you? Mom has been sad ever since Yoda and Dad put us on two different planets. Hehe, I got to go to Alderaan and become a Prince, you get to clean Moisture Vaporators. stick out tongue

you mean you got to go to alderaan and become a princess laughing out loud

and nah...vaders saber didnt stay on in rotj...it was a trick of the light stick out tongue the reflection of battle outside caused the hilt to appear to have a red glow...stick out tongue

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:10 AM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

If that is the case him and Odwald have probably kissed. sick

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:12 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

and nah...vaders saber didnt stay on in rotj...it was a trick of the light stick out tongue the reflection of battle outside caused the hilt to appear to have a red glow...stick out tongue

Just for that Princess comment...

I got to go to Alderaan and become King and play with my Lightsaber Spoons.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:12 AM
Hazardous

....ive got your address....the next sound you hear is a fat A-bomb dropping onto your house.......stick out tongue

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:18 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Now now, children...

Another popular theory for lightsabers staying on when dropped is that they flicked the switch another click so that it was 'locked on' and wouldn't shut off when thrown. I stick with that one.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:22 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yodafan

That means you would need to hold the switch all the time? The way lightsaber are thrown from hand to hand and flipped around in battle it seams odd.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:25 AM
Click here to Send yodafan a Private Message Find more posts by yodafan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadlyshot07
Jedi Knight

I agree about the yoda stabbing the clone tropper at the top of the page. They use the force to keep pressure on it when they throw it (thats just my opinion).

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:31 AM
Click here to Send Deadlyshot07 a Private Message Find more posts by Deadlyshot07 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Eh, I dunno, I just liked the switch-lock theory for throwing, not for the actual fighting.

Jedi are freaky like that, they make crazy things to kill people with...

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:32 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

I always wondered about this actually, i always assumed that a saber could (or should) have 2 ways to be activated, 1 is to simply push the button down, then when (or if) it was dropped it would deactivate. the other way is to, after it is activated, to press the switch forward to 'lock' it on, and thus would not deactivate if it were to fall. problem is that Jedi would need to 'lock' it in order to duel, yet in duels it still turns off when it falls....

an interesting predicament i must say...

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post May 24th, 2005 04:44 AM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
greg_powell2

dropping lightsabers

Of course, all lightsabers were modeled by the individual wielding it. Many had what were known as "Deadman switches" (ie. Kenobi's saber in A New Hope) that would turn off the saber in the event the saber was dropped, in these cases they did also have a lock switch that would allow the saber to be thrown. Some lightsabers did not even have external switches on them and required a measure of ability with the Force to turn and keep them on during a battle.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 03:32 AM
Click here to Send greg_powell2 a Private Message Find more posts by greg_powell2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta 62
Autobots, Roll out!

yes Greg..Hethrir and his students had lightsabers like that. Could only be activated by the Force. I'm sure that's his name anyway..haven't read the Crystal Star for years.

My myspace Galbadia Hotel (Anime/Game OSTs)

Old Post May 31st, 2005 04:04 AM
Click here to Send Delta 62 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta 62 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Does anyone else think that the constant dropping/losing/breaking of the lightsabers is symbolic of how out of touch the Jedi really are with the Force? No one drops a lightsaber in the OT.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 10:21 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lazerlike42
Darth Incompetant

lol that's because in the OT if you lose one you're in trouble but in PT if you do you just go to Lightsabers R' Us stick out tongue

John 3:16 ^Thanks Ast Rofan^

Old Post May 31st, 2005 10:25 AM
Click here to Send Lazerlike42 a Private Message Find more posts by Lazerlike42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote