KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » General Grievous? meh…

General Grievous? meh…
Started by: Morgoths_Wrath

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Morgoths_Wrath

General Grievous? meh…

I just didn’t like the character. I think he was meant to be sort of shrouded in mystery sort of guy, but he was just kinda randomly thrown into the saga like so many other villains in the PT. Nothing was very clear about his character, in my opinion, besides that he was sort of a droid/alien creature with a cold and knew some cool lightsaber tricks. He was also a coward, which isn’t a respectable trait for any villain. His fight with Obi-Wan wasn’t terrible, but in the end he was just killed by a blaster (uncivilized, indeed master Obi-Wan).

Maybe it was just me, cause I was expecting him to be a very powerful and evil character and very central to the plot…but he just ended up being lame.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:42 AM
Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Nefarus
Redi Knight

I think that the whole coughing thing was retarded, I don't see why that was needed. But I like him alright. It would have been better if it had showed him killing some Jedi, instead of Obi-Wan schooling him.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:44 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Nefarus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Nefarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

If you watched the clone wars you could see he used to be a badass, but Mace crushed his chest giving him the coughing problem.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:45 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Nefarus
Redi Knight

good point, I forgot about that. Okay, cough aside, he still should have smoked some Jedi on screen

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:48 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Nefarus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Nefarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

he served his purpose....he was just a general of the droid army. the republic had to get rid of him, so they did. he was pretty cool with 4 sabers though.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:48 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vanquish

Ya the build up on him was that he was some bad ass jedi slayer that could basically give anyone a good fight. Turns out, he kind of sucked. He is supposed to be a killer in saber combat, but Obi took his hands easily. He got owned by obi's force push into the wall also. He fled like a ***** mid way through the duel which was lame. I was totally let down by that duel actually. Obi kicked his ass badly.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:55 AM
Click here to Send Vanquish a Private Message Find more posts by Vanquish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Anoter purpose he served was to make Kenobi look good before having to beat Skywalker.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:56 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Nefarus
Redi Knight

I thought the battle overall was good, but Grievous should have done more with his sabers, like actually hitting Obi-Wan barely with one, then blaster time.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 03:58 AM
Anakin2Vader

I liked him...liked the coughing liked the raptor like walk... liked everything about him.... except they went for too much in the duel... he should have started with just two sabers so they could give us some good footage of them fighting but instead they went directly to four sabers which is impossible to show 4 vs 1 on screen so it was just a mash up of close up shot that never gave you a good impression of a duel taking palce... i was disapointed in that for sure... but the charachter i liked

And as for him being a coward... he kinda has to be... because if he was as bad ass as his "droid self" was he would have been unstopable

Old Post May 24th, 2005 04:02 AM
Click here to Send Anakin2Vader a Private Message Find more posts by Anakin2Vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spectr4L
The Loyalist

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Anakin2Vader
I liked him...liked the coughing liked the raptor like walk... liked everything about him.... except they went for too much in the duel... he should have started with just two sabers so they could give us some good footage of them fighting but instead they went directly to four sabers which is impossible to show 4 vs 1 on screen so it was just a mash up of close up shot that never gave you a good impression of a duel taking palce... i was disapointed in that for sure... but the charachter i liked

And as for him being a coward... he kinda has to be... because if he was as bad ass as his "droid self" was he would have been unstopable

Hehe...I agree on all accounts. wink

Old Post May 24th, 2005 05:59 AM
Click here to Send Spectr4L a Private Message Find more posts by Spectr4L Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redux

Ok, so I don't remember him from ep. ii, somebody help me out with that please.

I thought Gen Greivous was like a nice try by Palpatine, but didn't quite get it right until he made Vader, so it was like Grievous was the test dummy or something. Could be totally off...I can't remember him from the second movie so maybe someone could set me straight.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 07:02 AM
Click here to Send redux a Private Message Find more posts by redux Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

No. Grievous was not a Vader prototype... He was the leader of the droid army. Dooku trained him in the Jedi arts. But he was not a Jedi, which is why Obi Wan took him out so easily.

His character I felt was cheap. And unneeded. The four-saber fight was stupid but I did like the hand-to-hand fight and how Obi Wan uses a blaster to take him out.

He's really just the Darth Maul of Episode III. As in hes just in it for kicks...

Old Post May 24th, 2005 07:07 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
He's really just the Darth Maul of Episode III. As in hes just in it for kicks...

Yeah, but I dont see him getting the rabid obsessive bordering pyschotic following. I see GG somewhere in the middle between the extremes of Jar Jar and Darth Maul.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 07:40 AM
Darth Lego
lord of the little people

Originally posted by redux
Ok, so I don't remember him from ep. ii, somebody help me out with that please.

i think they mean the clone wars mini series that aired on cartoon network, not episode II. i didnt see much of it, but Greivous might be in it.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 09:21 AM
Click here to Send Darth Lego a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Lego Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prince Nauj
Bebop

GG is a cool character but I did enjoy him in the movie. But its true about the part his chest being crushed, he isnt the same as he used to be. But i liked it when the four lightsabers came out. brilliant just bloody brilliant

lo lo Bromios lo lo Dendrites lo lo Eleutherios lo lo Enorches...

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:36 PM
Click here to Send Prince Nauj a Private Message Find more posts by Prince Nauj Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Mader
Dark Sith

I told you guys he was weak........

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:48 PM
Click here to Send Lord Mader a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Mader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowKing
Fallen Jedi

For those who did not know:

GG was introduced in the last episode of the first Clone Wars cartoon series (now on DVD and on HS).

You don't see him at first as a number of Jedi including Ki-Adi-Mundi, Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, and some Padawans are trapped in the burnt out hulk of a Republic Battle Cruiser. Apparently a great battle had taken place and the Republic forces were defeated soundly by the Droid army under the command of General Grievous.

As the Jedi gather together, they are surrounded on all sides by super battle droids and they hear the voice of Grievous congratulating them on their skills and offering them a warrior's death. Then you hear mechanical footsteps, low and metallic slowly approach the Jedi's hidden position. A human Padawan, to Kid-Adi's dismay, loses his cool and rushes out to battle, screaming...lightsaber raised.

As soon as he exits the Jedi sanctuary, he is literally stomped into the ground by Grievous who had jumped down from an unseen site on the ship's hull.

Ki-Adi and the others gather in a defensive circle perimeter and are surprised by GG who had been clinging to the ceiling above them. He ignites his two lightsabers and attacks all of them, spinning his body like a top at one point, and his hands like fan blades at another (similar to the way it was done in ROTS). His unorthodox fighting style and mechanical speed force the Jedi to stay out of his offensive reach. One alien Jedi is fooled when GG lets go of one saber in mid-air only to grab it and cut him down. Ki-Adi's padawan is grabbed by the face by GG's foot and slammed face first into the dirt, then he and Aayla are tossed into bulkhead beams in the ceiling of the broken vessel. Shaak Ti attempts to force pull debris onto GG but he flings it aside, slamming into Ki-Adi who falls into debris. Shaak Ti is in the fight of her life and when GG strikes down at her with both sabers, she force pushes at the same time and is slammed into a wall.

Custom Sig courtesy of Ast!

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:54 PM
Click here to Send ShadowKing a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowKing
Fallen Jedi

Ki-Adi approaches and tries to force pull his lightsaber from the ground where he'd dropped it.

Grievous steps on it and then, amazing Ki-Adi, lifts it with his claw like foot and is now facing Ki-Adi armed with three lightsabers!

Ki-Adi takes a moment and then in a brilliant move, force pulls a saber from Grievous' middle section where he has at least four clipped. They face each other, Grievous balancing on one leg, his three sabers bouncing as he shifts his weight, Ki-Adi, poised in high combat stance.

Grievous leaps toward the Jedi, three light sabers drawn back to strike. Ki-Adi stands his ground....

This is when the first Clone Wars cartoon series ended.

Grievous was even more of a worthy villian in Clone Wars season II.
In the last episode, he has killed more Jedi and Clone Troopers and has kidnapped Palpatine. As he boards his shuttle, Mace Windu arrives and Grievous turns, expanding his four arms with light sabers in a battle stance similar to the inital stance he takes against Obi in ROTS. Mace leans forward, his hand toward Grievous and GG's chest structure caves in...leaving GG on his knees coughing and hacking...

The ramp of his shuttle closes and the ship escapes...

and that is why he is a stunted, hacking, coughing mess in ROTS.

I don't know how much input the creators of Clone Wars had in GG's performance but I know Lucas changed his mind before he edited the movie that Grievous was not really an unstoppable war machine, but a coward who would only fight when the odds were in his favor.

Custom Sig courtesy of Ast!

Old Post May 25th, 2005 04:44 PM
Click here to Send ShadowKing a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

I'll have to check out the Clone Wars series, since I'm pretty sure they're on DVD now (at least the first season anyway)

Old Post May 26th, 2005 11:47 PM
Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SixOfTwelve
Blue Elephant Muppet

ShadowKing, excellent description. Bravo!

Old Post May 26th, 2005 11:51 PM
Click here to Send SixOfTwelve a Private Message Find more posts by SixOfTwelve Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote