KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Why did Owen and Beru really dislike ObiWan?

Why did Owen and Beru really dislike ObiWan?
Started by: Robin Darkside

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why did Owen and Beru really dislike ObiWan?

I know that they must have really cared for their son Luke. But ObiWan was the one who brought Luke to them. Shouldn't he get a little a credit for that?, and he promised to look over Luke, which was really cool and totally explained why Obiwan was a strange old hermit on Tattoine. So, Owen and Beru know that Obiwan is looking out for him. They shouldn;t bring him down. I guess times change during that 20 year interval, but if it wasn;t for Obiwan then Luke wouldn;t be around. They would be harvesting on their own.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 02:23 PM
Click here to Send Robin Darkside a Private Message Find more posts by Robin Darkside Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gollum1956
Jedi Master

Their was a comic where darth maul comes back cybernetic and nearly kills Owen and Obi Wan fights and nearly gets killed and Owen raises and shoots Darth Maul with a blaster somthing like that.And as he came their he was followed and nearly killed with Owen.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 03:04 PM
Click here to Send Gollum1956 a Private Message Find more posts by Gollum1956 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

thats interesting for a comic book

The fate of the galaxy lies with the Empire.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 03:08 PM
Click here to Send Robin Darkside a Private Message Find more posts by Robin Darkside Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

But that's no reason to hate Obi Wan,i think they hate him cuz they know he's going to take Luke away from them.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 03:14 PM
Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

yes, thats the obvious reason, they dont like him because he might follow Obiwan and get himself killed or something. But they still should appreciate Obiwan. Luke has a destiny and Owen and Beru should know that. The only reason Luke left was because they died

Old Post May 27th, 2005 03:21 PM
yerssot

Anakin left Shmi, I think Owen was pretty sure that if he stayed, Shmi would have been saved sooner and survived the trip.
That and now that they can be save, this crazy guy they never met wants to take the kid away again after 18-19 years to fight a battle he simply can't win

Old Post May 27th, 2005 03:56 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

We'll never know. All we have is a line from OB1: "He was afraid you'd follow old OB1 in some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did." Not that Anakin actually followed OB1 per se, but what the heck. The PT turned OB1 into a liar anyway.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 06:35 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

it all depends on your point of view

Old Post May 27th, 2005 08:47 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yodafan

I think they raised luke like parents and didn't want Obi-Wa to take him away from them and get him killed. They knew that one day Obi-Wan would want him to be trained as a Jedi.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 08:50 PM
Click here to Send yodafan a Private Message Find more posts by yodafan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

if he wanted to train luke, why not start that at the decent age like with the younglings?

Old Post May 27th, 2005 08:51 PM
EHmasterJedi
Jedi Master

It wasnt so much that they didnt want obi-wan to take him away, it was that Owen didnt want luke to know to much to fast, like Vader being his father, as Owen said "thats what im afraid of", if he was to become a Jedi or ever face his father the Force would make it happen, which it did, thats what Obi-Wan was waiting for a sign from the force to train luke, which happened when luke practically went to Obi-Wan.

Owen didnt hate Obi-Wan, he was just trying to protect luke from himself/egerness.

Last edited by EHmasterJedi on May 27th, 2005 at 09:15 PM

Old Post May 27th, 2005 09:11 PM
Click here to Send EHmasterJedi a Private Message Find more posts by EHmasterJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
adele2k5

no they make out like his a crazy old man to luke as he must of seem him watching him until the truth is revealed. i dont think owen hated obi1 its just hes loves luke as his own and doesnt want him to end up like anakin

Old Post May 27th, 2005 09:24 PM
Click here to Send adele2k5 a Private Message Find more posts by adele2k5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

I don't wanna mention fan fiction here, but I had an idea for an Episode 3.5 so to speak, and in it, I was gonna address this issue. Basically it was gonna involve a whole other plot besides Luke and such, focusing mainly on the extinction of the last 200 Jedi that actually start the rebel alliance, but there would be scenes with Luke and Leia on their respective planets. And one scene I had was Obi-Wan training Luke in some very light things, like, the ability to focus, and how to control anger and stuff, not actual lightsaber techniques or something. Anyway, in it, there was gonna be a conversation with Beru and Kenobi, where Beru tells him that although they trust Obi-Wan, and they're thankful for him, they still think it would be best if Luke wasn't seen with the old man with the lightsaber. Obi-Wan, in his scenes, acted as a godfather to Luke in a way, or a babysitter, whilst slightly training him.

I've always thought that they were just nervous about Luke turning evil, not that they disrespected Obi-Wan or anything.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 09:30 PM
Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mysterio69
bored as f.uck

yes, but owen states that "he died around the same time as your father." obviously, luke has no contact with obi-wan. "ben kenobi is just a weird legend around those parts.

Old Post May 28th, 2005 02:07 AM
Click here to Send mysterio69 a Private Message Find more posts by mysterio69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

I didnt think beru and owen disliked Obi wan,... where did this all come from>???

Old Post May 28th, 2005 02:09 AM
Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I think it was fear that history would repeat itself. Listen to him say "that's what i'm afraid of" when Beru mentions anakin in ANH. Owen and Beru know the score and don't want another Darth Vader in the family.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post May 28th, 2005 02:15 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

oh true ^

Old Post May 28th, 2005 02:17 AM
Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

nobody said Owen hated Obiwan, only that he didn't appreciate him. Yeah, maybe Luke should have learned the force by Obiwan at a young age. But then this was at a time where Obiwan failed with Anakin and maybe didn;t want Luke to turn out the same way. The oportune moment came when Obiwan was too old and Leia needed that R2 droid safely delivered.

Old Post May 28th, 2005 09:50 PM
mysterio69
bored as f.uck

i don't think he hated or underapperciated him. he just knew that now the son of one of the 2 most evil bastards in the galaxy is now in his custody. quite the undertaking, i'd say. and he obviously knew why he had to take him and didn't want him to have any contact whatsoever w/ obi-wan. yoda and obi-wan obviously planned on using luke later to defeat the empire, and i'm sure owen figured that was the case.

Old Post May 28th, 2005 09:57 PM
Click here to Send mysterio69 a Private Message Find more posts by mysterio69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mysterio69
i don't think he hated or underapperciated him. he just knew that now the son of one of the 2 most evil bastards in the galaxy is now in his custody. quite the undertaking, i'd say. and he obviously knew why he had to take him and didn't want him to have any contact whatsoever w/ obi-wan. yoda and obi-wan obviously planned on using luke later to defeat the empire, and i'm sure owen figured that was the case.

that makes sense, It would be hard for Owen to let Luke go. He also tried his best to keep him from joining the academy after all his friends have gone

Old Post May 28th, 2005 10:01 PM