KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Do you think the Star Wars special effects suck?

Do you think the Star Wars special effects suck?
Started by: macgeek2005

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
macgeek2005

Do you think the Star Wars special effects suck?

Whenever i'm watching a Lord of the Rings DVD, I notice that the picture looks SO MUCH MORE realistic. Like ur watching real life, and when I switch to star wars, it looks almost animated. Like changing from Geonosis arena, to helms deep. It looks like "Fake" to "Real". Does anyone else agree?

A day will come when no director has the courage to produce a film anymore.

A day will come when every single director on earth, will give up his/her work in helpless grief, overwhelmed by the greatest movie on earth.

That day......... is May 19 2005

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 10:39 PM
Click here to Send macgeek2005 a Private Message Find more posts by macgeek2005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 10:46 PM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Who really cares? We know it's fake, why bother griping about it?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 10:49 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowKing
Fallen Jedi

Could it just be easier to view realistic, although massive, castles than giant fungus, domesticated riding lizards, and immense battle cruisers?

I thought Coruscant looked like it could be real. Alderaan looked good but was the scene was edited so quickly you could not take time to note what was good about it. When Braveheart came out, I not only liked the story but was caught up in the scenic background settings of Scotland. Beautiful full open vistas, mountains, and open fields, lovingly filmed and edited to let you take it all in. Batman Begins did this with the opening scenes of a Tibetan glacier/mountain range. For some reason, GL decided to edit his pan quickly through the worlds he drove his FX team so hard to create. I think he mentions it to some of the ILM crew when he was filming as I recall in the Making of ROTS book. Like, "...this is a great background, too bad it will only be on screen for two seconds..you just get where it is and go right to the main theme of the story (Anakin's fall)..."

Until I get the DVD and watch it as often as I have LOTR, I will have to say the FX did not suck. It was bogus to use animated bodies for the clones with the Jango Fett actors head though. How much could it possibly have cost to make one or two full scale uniforms? It just would have blended in better. You don't see Peter Jackson CGI'ing leather and animal skins on his main Orcs.

Custom Sig courtesy of Ast!

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 10:56 PM
Click here to Send ShadowKing a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

That's because Jackson has more better control over his use of CG over practical effects. Lucas is stupid.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 11:01 PM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I prefer ShadowKing's reason. It actually has a good, thought out explanation. No offense.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 11:02 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

There were some terrible CG shots is both films...

I like how Lucas doesn't spend too much time on establishing shots in this film. Yeah, they may look cool but they slow the pace down and are really pointless. This is something I think he learnt from Episode I and II...

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 11:04 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Episode III was much better, I thought, effects wise.

Also, Lucas did the movie in three years. Jackson did all three over the good part of a decade.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2005 11:07 PM
Smegulated

Star wars effects have always had a certain style to them, they never were about 100% realism they were about being epic. lotr was going for realism. the geonois arena is a miniature so i don't see the problem there.
lotr was also shot on film which has a graininess to it, star wars 2+3 are shot on digital video which doesn't. The film grain makes visual effects look realistic easer. it gives the illusion of detail for miniatures and cg better because of this.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 11:50 AM
Click here to Send Smegulated a Private Message Find more posts by Smegulated Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I agree with that. The Gungan battle at the end of Episode I looks much more realistic than the Geonosis battle... because it was shot on film.

I disagree about the films having a certain style. It would be absolutely foolish for George to not go for a realistic as possible.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 11:55 AM
Smegulated

also most people over look the films design

ShadowKing said
Could it just be easier to view realistic, although massive, castles than giant fungus, domesticated riding lizards, and immense battle cruisers?

which is true, lotr could acuallay shoot locations of new zealand or at least get good referece, in star wars george wants to see alien world the can easilay be distingushed from each other. Hes used nearly every real world loction in the first 4, so by episode 2 be has to creat them form scrach basically. design wise these newer places dont exist ie kamino that weird planet in episode 3 or courasant or its dam dangerous as well like mustafar. for mustafar they did get real volcano footage though as well as minitures.

i thought Kashyyyk was very well done because they got real life footage and still for some of it and minitures for the rest it thought it was very belivible. geonossis was hard because george didn't want it to look like tatooine, which would have been easy to do, so its much more alien and red.

Last edited by Smegulated on Jun 22nd, 2005 at 12:50 PM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 12:45 PM
Click here to Send Smegulated a Private Message Find more posts by Smegulated Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Kashyyyk was pretty well done. I was very impressed with Mustafar, I thought it looked great.

The things about the VFX that bug me are the use of digital doubles (mainly for the jumps). They just don't look realistic. And also the digital Clonetroopers look really bad in many shots.

Shots that bugged me in particular: Plo Koon's death - way too cartoony, it looked awful; The Jedi on the speeder bike's death - ditto; a particular shot in the Kashyyyk battle looked really bad; some of the shots of the ships looked too cartoony; Obi-Wan being thrown by Dooku - the worst shot of the film.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 12:50 PM
Smegulated

sorry for my leactures but im not very good at getting points across big grin

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 12:51 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Do you think the Star Wars special effects suck?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by macgeek2005
Whenever i'm watching a Lord of the Rings DVD, I notice that the picture looks SO MUCH MORE realistic. Like ur watching real life, and when I switch to star wars, it looks almost animated. Like changing from Geonosis arena, to helms deep. It looks like "Fake" to "Real". Does anyone else agree?

this coming from the same guy who becomes personally hurt and offended when anyone so much as jokingly pokes at ep3? mesa confused...mesa VERY confused blink oh man i didnt just speak in jar jar did i? damn...time for a memory wipe.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 12:56 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

I agree with the fact that LOTR looks more "real"

but i also agree that SW has always had a style to it. it looks "real" but its not supposed to look 100% real. its supposed to look almost surreal. its an epic space fantasy film. its not as gritty as LOTR is.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 08:47 PM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Travizzle
Step Off

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Captain REX
Who really cares? We know it's fake, why bother griping about it?

I'm with you on this one.

Every feel like being evil?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2005 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Darth Travizzle a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Travizzle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jerlark386
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you think Star Wars special effects suck, then I'm afraid any other movie with cg effects is going to be pretty much spoiled for you.

It makes me wonder though. What would Star Wars be like if it were COMPLETELY animated.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 01:21 AM
Click here to Send jerlark386 a Private Message Find more posts by jerlark386 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vader519
Dark Lord of the Sith

Who cares, they are two different movies. Some shots lokk good in both movies, and some do not.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 01:30 AM
Click here to Send vader519 a Private Message Find more posts by vader519 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yoda my homie
Restricted

Account Restricted

are you on acid the afects are great

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 02:37 AM
Click here to Send yoda my homie a Private Message Find more posts by yoda my homie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jerlark386
Restricted

Account Restricted

if he was on acid, I dont think he'd complain. smile

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 03:54 AM
Click here to Send jerlark386 a Private Message Find more posts by jerlark386 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote