KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The irony of Anakin's dream

The irony of Anakin's dream
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

The irony of Anakin's dream

I don't know if this has been addressed before, but I kinda like the bitter irony of Anakin's dream in ROTS: he dreams of Padme dying and to stop that he joins the Dark Side, but because of that move he actually makes the dream come true.

I thought this ties in nicely to Yoda's warnings to Luke in ESB: "Always in motion is the future."

In a way, what Anakin saw in his dreams was Padme's fate when he would turn to the Dark Side, but all he saw was her fate.

George said in The Making Of... that it was Padme that caused his turn to the Dark Side. In a way that is true, but only because Anakin is indeed too arrogant to deal with his premonitions properly. Maybe one can't blame him since his mother's death came about and seemed inevitable.
But I think now that it wasn't Padme, but Anakin wanting his own way with everything that caused his fall. Padme just made it come out, but it seems it was inevitable.

Anyway, I thought that Anakin causing his own nightmare to come true was nice inr elationship to tthe way Yoda handles the subject in ESB. Obviously, the frog learned from it.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 08:01 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Re: The irony of Anakin's dream

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
I thought this ties in nicely to Yoda's warnings to Luke in ESB: "Always in motion is the future."

Yeah, I thought it tied in quite well. But I still find it odd actually seeing in Anakins dream, that was a bold move by Lucas.

Anyways, I got to be a stick up your ass...the quote is: "Always in motion the future is." big grin

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 08:06 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, my Yoda-talk is getting a tad rusty.

It was a bold move, but a good one. I still find that George doesn't really hammer it home well, as he didn't in the PT with many great finds, plot points and ideas. But in ROTS it worked quite well, despite of that.

It's extremely bitter, but you don't get it straight from the film. It does kinda change the view on the ESB nocvo between Luke and Yoda: Luke could mess things up badly by following his premonitions... Lucky for the universe, he didn't.... almost though...

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 08:08 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

It's also pretty ironic how potent the Force is with General Greevs. (When he was alive of course...)

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 08:08 PM
Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Huh???

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 08:09 PM
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

sorry.

The dream thing was pretty spoily though when I first watched it in the cinemas.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 08:11 PM
Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
It's also pretty ironic how potent the Force is with General Greevs. (When he was alive of course...)

I will slap you time and time again if you don't get it into your head that Grievous doesn't have the Force sensitivity of a Sith or a Jedi.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 09:07 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

yup.. along with a few other twists in the PT this dream was quite effective and haunting....

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 09:40 PM
Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
sorry.

The dream thing was pretty spoily though when I first watched it in the cinemas.

Spoily in a way yes... but not in the way that this dream is both cause AND result of Anakin's tur to the Dark Side.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 09:59 PM
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

Agreed.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 10:13 PM
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

I was half expecting Padme to go out guns blazin'!

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 10:13 PM
Eleonora

I think about that a lot. It's plainly cruel. If he hadn't had that dream both their fates would have probably been somewhat different. In a way the conclusion is a trigger for the action, in logic and philosophy this is a paradox.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 10:27 PM
Click here to Send Eleonora a Private Message Find more posts by Eleonora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

Not to mention the relationship between Non-Force users and FOrce users...

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 10:31 PM
aj_vader

wots goin on here? people are saying grevious can "use the force" he cant

whats giving you these impressions?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 12:14 AM
Click here to Send aj_vader a Private Message Find more posts by aj_vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

In response to the OP, it's the self fulfilling propechy that is prevalent in SW, case in point, Anakin's fall and grace, fulfilling the main prophecy, and also his prophetic dream.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 12:39 AM
Click here to Send Gryn Jabar a Private Message Find more posts by Gryn Jabar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

"if you go, help them you could...but you will destroy all for which they have fought and suffered"

yet another line from yoda's experience i would say

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 12:49 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Commander Duck
The Expendable Jedi

Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
I will slap you time and time again if you don't get it into your head that Grievous doesn't have the Force sensitivity of a Sith or a Jedi.

Get him Ken! He's relentless with that subject. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 01:25 AM
Click here to Send Commander Duck a Private Message Find more posts by Commander Duck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Eleonora
I think about that a lot. It's plainly cruel. If he hadn't had that dream both their fates would have probably been somewhat different. In a way the conclusion is a trigger for the action, in logic and philosophy this is a paradox.

Only if we were to say that Anakin was merely a pawn in his fate. But he wasn't. If he had been less arrogant and more open to learn about the meaning of his premonitions, people could have helped him out. Now he was subject to his own insights which were limited. Of course, by marrying Padme in secret he'd already gone down that path,.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 08:33 AM
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

laughing out loud

makes sense. Anakin wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. Seriously speaking...

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 08:36 AM
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Think about this:

In his first dream we hear Padme screaming "Anakin, help me!", yet in the second we see it is Obi-Wan with her, not Anakin. I think this means that she was always going to die, but it wasn't until Palpatine began his manipulating that her destiny changed - that is, the circumstances of her death changed.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 08:37 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote