KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan
Started by: DrDoom101

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
General Kon-El
Last Son of the Sith

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

I have a question ive been wondering about. If Obi-Wan is Anakin's master and mentor, why couldn't he easily defeat Anakin? He defeated anakin but not easily. He's Anakin's mentor for god's sake. Isn't one of the jobs of a master or teacher or instructor is to find the mistakes and weak points of their student or apprentice? If i were to fight my kung fu master, he'd murder me because he knows what im weak at. Same with my tennis teacher. So if Obi-Wan is a good master, why couldnt he take down Anakin easily? He knows his apprentice's weakness more than anyone else.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 05:32 AM
Click here to Send General Kon-El a Private Message Find more posts by General Kon-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Because Anakin was much stronger than he was, the only thing that kept Anakin from killing Obi was Obi's knowledge of Anakin.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 05:36 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brit
Duchess

Anakin was just more skilled than Kenobi. He was no longer Ben's apprentice, he was a full-fledged Knight, and he was more powerful, more skilled, and fought with a very offensive style, whereas Obi-Wan, whilst powerful and skilled himself, was not up to Anakin's level.

Plus, Anakin was using the Dark Side for power.

But, you're right, Ben did know Anakin's weaknesses better than anyone else. That's why he won.

Punch your lights out, hit the pavement
That's what I call entertainment
Causing problems makes you famous
All the silence makes a statement

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 05:37 AM
Click here to Send Brit a Private Message Find more posts by Brit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kon-El
Last Son of the Sith

he could have sliced anakin when he leapt to the other side of the moving platform...

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 05:42 AM
Click here to Send General Kon-El a Private Message Find more posts by General Kon-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Why would he do that? He was trying to reason with Anakin before having to kill him.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 05:59 AM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Dont base theories on mistakes in the choreography, every duel in every episode has moments like that.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 06:03 AM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kon-El
Last Son of the Sith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Morridini
Why would he do that? He was trying to reason with Anakin before having to kill him.

no, not the beginning, i meant when they were on the floating platform above the lave after they jumped off of that falling bridge thing. never mind, i cant explain it over kmc.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 06:06 AM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

After the "end for you my master" line, when Anakin jumps over and lands behind Obi, Obi clearly has an opening.

But like I said, you shouldnt base theories off mistakes in the fight choreography.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 06:10 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

Originally posted by Ast
Because Anakin was much stronger than he was, the only thing that kept Anakin from killing Obi was Obi's knowledge of Anakin.

that's really all that need be said because it correct

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 06:10 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brit
Duchess

So much for my post. stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 06:57 AM
Click here to Send Brit a Private Message Find more posts by Brit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

LOL Oh I didnt mean I didnt like your post hun. embarrasment

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 07:10 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alkaselzer
Thespian

Let the blonde win. wink

And that's because brunettes don't drown you with valley girl accents and perfume when they lose...

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 07:43 AM
Click here to Send Alkaselzer a Private Message Find more posts by Alkaselzer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brit
Duchess

stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 08:49 AM
Council#13
The Omega Male

Anakin also knew Obi Wan's weaknesses

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 09:27 AM
Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Re: Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

Originally posted by DrDoom101
I have a question ive been wondering about. If Obi-Wan is Anakin's master and mentor, why couldn't he easily defeat Anakin? He defeated anakin but not easily. He's Anakin's mentor for god's sake. Isn't one of the jobs of a master or teacher or instructor is to find the mistakes and weak points of their student or apprentice? If i were to fight my kung fu master, he'd murder me because he knows what im weak at. Same with my tennis teacher. So if Obi-Wan is a good master, why couldnt he take down Anakin easily? He knows his apprentice's weakness more than anyone else.

Because Obi Wan is a master at defence. Apperantly he can't really counter or anything.
Well.. Obi Wan sucks anyway, he was easily dispatched by Dooku who proved to be no match for Anakin.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 09:57 AM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"Poor is the student who does not exceed his Master."

Mind you, Da Vinci said that. All very well for HIM; we can't all be geniuses in so many areas.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 10:18 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthvader_fan
Dazed and Confused

Originally posted by DrDoom101

you have a tennis teacher?

im the coolest guy there is GO CHIEFS

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 01:55 PM
Click here to Send darthvader_fan a Private Message Find more posts by darthvader_fan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

I don't know, as far as the duels went, Obi Wan Handled Anakin. He got kicked in the face a few times, but it didn't seem like he came all that close to losing. Certainly not as close to losing as Palpatine did to Mace. He had one chance that was an extra scene to kill Anakin and passed it up, then he got another one. I think Obi Wan was better than Anakin, the whole time. Vader didn't even win a clear cut victory over Obi in A New Hope, Obi stops fighting.
I agree about the choreography, how about the moment when Palps could have just stabbed Mace after Mace comes around in a circle and Palps ducks. Mace seems to back away slowly, and Palps doesn't finish him. There seems to be moments in every duel when you think, why doesn't he just move his saber up or down and cut the guy in half.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 02:03 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vious
Restricted

Account Restricted

As everyone else has said, the differences in Anakin and Obi-Wan's fighting styles were what prolonged the fight. Anakin's form is one of overpowering the opponent, Obi-Wan's is one of defending and blocking all strikes until an opportunity to retaliate presents itself. The same as when he was fighting General Grievous, he simply blocked all the strikes against him, and when Grievous increased the speed of his attack to a level Obi-Wan couldn't successfully block, he let a strike through, but then severed the hand holding the lightsaber before it could decapitate him. Had that fight not been cut short by the Force Push and the arrival of the clones, Obi-Wan would most likely have continued to sever all Grievous' hands before killing him. His style is simply not one of dispatching an opponent quickly, this was again, truly the hare Vs the tortoise. And as mentioned, even as an older man, Obi-Wan was still capable of defending himself against Vader, but given their location (and the fact that Vader wouldn't try jumping over him again) he was unable to end the duel as he did the first time, or could have finished with Grievous (and that would also have got rid of Vader too soon in the storywink ) so as pointed out above, he simply stopped fighting, and gave himself over to the Force, Vader still did not actually beat him...

Last edited by Darth Vious on Nov 16th, 2005 at 03:23 PM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 03:21 PM
Click here to Send Darth Vious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kon-El
Last Son of the Sith

Originally posted by darthvader_fan
you have a tennis teacher?

what does that have to do with anything? but yes, i take tennis lessons...

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 03:55 PM