KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Palpatines lightning

Palpatines lightning
Started by: Decay

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Decay

Palpatines lightning

it might sound stupid, but why is it exactly that palpatine used lighting on mace. anakin could see that he was fallen and begging for mercy so he didnt need to use any more power to show weakness. lucas said the whole thing was an act and he was never weak, so why do it at all. was it to show anakin that the sith have power beyond the jedi like force lightning. was it so he could look like hes putting up one last effort against mace? if so his whole "you have lost!" thing couldnt have made him seem all that sympathetic to anakin. it came at a pretty high price (his face) so he must have had a reason. i doubt he did it to make the jedi seem worse to the republic, i dont think hed need that much proof becuase he has most of the senate under his control anyway.

on a side note i think it would have been a hard scene to film as an actor without feeling kind of stupid i think. youd have jackson holding a stick and pretending it was being forced back at his face and ian sitting on the ground shaking his fingers at him looking very angry. id like to see it without any sound or visual effects out of curiosity.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 06:03 PM
Click here to Send Decay a Private Message Find more posts by Decay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

If you think about, Palps didn't need to use lightning.

But GL needed some way to A.) disfigure Palpatine, and B.) Kill Mace.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 06:12 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Palpatine was faking the begging, not the need for Lightning.

Without the Lightning, Mace would have killed him, as indeed he still would have had Anakin not intervened.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 06:28 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

IF Palpatine hadn't attacked, would Mace have killed him or kept him under arrest?

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 06:34 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

I would liked to see someone arrest a guy who can electrocute at will.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 06:37 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Decay

so did he do it to make mace change him from aresting him to having to kill him so anakin had no choice but to interfere?

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Decay a Private Message Find more posts by Decay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightning_Count

^^ thats precisely why he did it, to provoke mace into killing him rather than simply arresting his ass. Therefore anakin had to step in!
This also means that palpatine LOST his Saber Battle with mace!

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 07:19 PM
Click here to Send Lightning_Count a Private Message Find more posts by Lightning_Count Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Decay

or that he couldnt look as weak standing there armed with the weapon of the most powerful warriors in the galaxy in his hand (lightsaber). i wish lucas would clear up wether he did or didnt lose the duel. we know he could have kept fighting with the force, but palpatine is supposedly 500 times faster than any jedi. he seems to lose pretty cleanly in the duel. but then its contradicted by ian mcdiarmid when he says hes that fast.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 08:23 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It's been shown that Palps lost the Saber battle, but he was faking the begging.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2005 05:28 AM
truejedi

500 times faster than any jedi? is that a quote?
if he is that much faster, then he's invincible, and anything he does is an act.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2005 06:44 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

I think the "you lost"comment insulted his pride

Old Post Nov 19th, 2005 09:28 AM
Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

The first time I saw the fight between the two I remember thinking why did he break the window, it seemed somewhat unnecessary but deliberate as well. It was only when he killed Master Windu that I understood.

He must have foresaw it all or while he was fighting Windu, he was keeping a close track of Anakin's thoughts and movements.

As for being 500 times faster than any Jedi, well he didn't seem 500 times faster than Yoda when then fought.

"Always remember...your focus determines your reality."

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

To know the truth, you must risk everything.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 06:58 PM
Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

You are giving Sids a little too much credit.
Don't get me wrong, he is my favorite character but to say he made Mace break the window so he could later throw him through it is pretty.. nonsensical.. erm
And constantly keeping Anakin's thoughts in mind to plan the direction of the fight while he had no control over the jedi coming in is pretty far fetched too..
Damn.. This thread is spawning more BS by the second.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 10:42 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, people make it seem as if even the tiniest breath from anyone affiliated with him, is Sidious's doing.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 03:07 AM
chinabing

If you were battling with laser swords near a big glass window, chances are the window would break.

Mace coulda tried force-pushing palpatine out the window too, just get at the right angle, decoy him with the lightsaber hand, then push using the other. But nooooo they don't listen to me.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 05:52 AM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I think it was actually Yoda who was using his powers to make Windu break the window so that Sidious could throw him out so that Yoda would not have the competition for Grandmaster title... no expression

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 06:36 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Numo
Kwisatz Haderach

No you misunderstood me, it was Sidious who broke the window not Mace but watch it again it was deliberate, but at the time it seemed unnecessary as though he had something plan and I think should all by now be aware of Sidious' ability to plan ahead.

"Always remember...your focus determines your reality."

May whatever God you believe in...have mercy on your RSIs. May the source be with you.

To know the truth, you must risk everything.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 12:58 PM
Click here to Send Numo a Private Message Find more posts by Numo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta 62
Autobots, Roll out!

Sidious completely faked his defeat to Mace. You'll notice how he no-nonsense took care of the other three Masters..he was simply stalling most of the time with Mace. He knew Anakin would arrive..he allowed Mace to kick his saber away. Had he realized Anakin wouldn't come..he'd have ended the duel before it even started. Plus you'll notice how he went all out against Yoda.

The rest of my opinion has already been stated before..no need to repeat it.

My myspace Galbadia Hotel (Anime/Game OSTs)

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 01:23 PM
Click here to Send Delta 62 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta 62 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

But Yoda was still no joke...

"If so powerful you are, why leave?"

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 01:35 PM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta 62
Autobots, Roll out!

Oh yes, I didn't mean that at all. I was just using it as an example. He didn't seem to be putting much effort with Mace..but you saw how furiously he fought with Yoda.

My myspace Galbadia Hotel (Anime/Game OSTs)

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 01:39 PM
Click here to Send Delta 62 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta 62 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote