KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Destroyer Droid Shields and a lightsaber

Can a lightsaber cut through a Destroyer Droids Shields?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, definately (there's a source I consider proof - please provide the source if you vote for this) 2 11.11%
Yes, I think so anyway 4 22.22%
No, I don't think so anyway 10 55.56%
No, definately not (there's a source I consider proof - please provide the source if you vote for this) 2 11.11%
Total: 18 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Destroyer Droid Shields and a lightsaber
Started by: darthsith19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthsith19
Arm-Wrestler

Destroyer Droid Shields and a lightsaber

Doesn't LOE say they can't be penetrated by a lightsaber? In video games lightsabers go through them (they have to otherwise it'd be impossible the beat one) but on some it takes mutiple hits to destroy the shield. We never see a lightsaber go through one in the movies. In The Defense of Kamino ARC trooper Alpha destroys one with a rocket and Shaak Ti is with him but I don't think she actually ever cuts through one's shields.

From starwars.wikicities.com: A few years before the Yuuzhan Vong War, Luke Skywalker and his wife, Mara Jade Skywalker, encountered a droideka onboard the remains of the Outbound Flight Project dreadnaughts. Even though it was decades old and not operating at its best, they still had a difficult time defeating it.

So did they vut through it? If not, how did they destroy it?

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 02:47 AM
Click here to Send darthsith19 a Private Message Find more posts by darthsith19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

I dont think a saber can. first off it it could then Qui-Gon and Obi woulda not run away from them in Eps I.

secondly sabers have never been shown to cut through any type of energy field as I can remember. (also in Eps. I the wall Shields in the Duel of fates)

All in all I'd say no, a Saber cant. but I also wouldn't think the on board shield of a Destroyer lasts for ever.

And most importantly, jedi should be able to just use the force to destroy a Destroyer Droid. So its not like it makes a whole lotta difference.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 03:03 AM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I'm pretty sure it could, if a heavy laser can. Droidekas aren't dangerous because lightsabers can't penetrate their shields, they're dangerous just because the shield presents a tactical difficulty of not being able to simply reflect shots into it as it approaches, and it puts out a lot of firepower.

There'd damned dangerous, in that sense. But it's only a portable shield; eventually it would wear down, or it isn't strong enough to deflect a well-placed or strongly-delivered blow.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 03:20 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, QGJ and Obi-Wan couldn't kill those two because of the hail of fire coming their way in an enclosed space.

We know physical objects can pass through shields, so they would just have to get close enough, technically speaking. In practical terms, their situation was, as QGJ described it, a deadlock.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 01:03 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
We know physical objects can pass through shields

makes you wonder why nobody used bullets, huh?

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 02:30 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

lmao, bullets i feel would be much better against a jedi, i mean, you can pretty much see a lazor coming at ya - and the fact that you can't see a bullet makes me wonderstick out tongue

I know Battlefront II isn't concrete evidence, but a lightsaber cuts through em' like butter

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 05:52 PM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Yes, QGJ and Obi-Wan couldn't kill those two because of the hail of fire coming their way in an enclosed space.

We know physical objects can pass through shields, so they would just have to get close enough, technically speaking. In practical terms, their situation was, as QGJ described it, a deadlock.

We don't know that. actually as I can recall the only shields ever seen to be passable by physical objects was the Gungan shields in Eps I. All other shields have been impassable by physical objects as far as I can remember. Ray shields, and the Red shield/ door things in the 'Duel of Fates' come to mind as non passable, as well as non penetrable with a lightsaber. (since Obi and Anakin didnt attempt to saber their way out of the ray shields I'd assume its because they couldn't)

I think that Sabers can't pass through any other type of energy. (why else would blaster fire reflect rather then just disintegrate?)

This is assuming that the energy is of a comparable type and intensity. not necessarily the same intensity as a lightsaber, but close to it.

As for the destroyers I think that a saber could get rid of the Destroyer shields after a few blows. Seeing as the Destroyers have an on board battery of sorts and the fact that to deflect a lightsaber with those on board shields would require a decent amount of energy. I think that after maybe 2 or 3 blows from a saber the shields would 'fail' but the saber would never actually cut through the shield.
The only odd thing about Destroyer shields is that the Droid itself can fire out of the shield. But presumably the same laser fire cannot pass through the shield. So its like a selectively osmotic shield of sorts. Therefore its hard to say anything about them really. I'm just going from what I've seen and what seems logical.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 05:54 PM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

yes, but a lazor is not a solid object so to speak

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 06:07 PM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't see any reason to doubt the fact the Gungan shield example holds true for all force fields in Star Wars, especially as the physical proton torpedos could go down the shielded Death Star exhaust port whereas the lasers could not. Furthermore, you could walk up to the Hoth shield and blow it up, which definitely indicates you could pass through it physically and destroy it from within, whereas you could not just blast through it.

GL clearly has this idea of force fields only blocking energy. Physical objects can push through them.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 08:06 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Mabey the droidekas shields are more similar to the ray shields, just not as strong. Obi-Wan and Anakin could not get through it when captured inside it.

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 09:43 PM
Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

I don't see any reason to doubt the fact the Gungan shield example holds true for all force fields in Star Wars, especially as the physical proton torpedos could go down the shielded Death Star exhaust port whereas the lasers could not. Furthermore, you could walk up to the Hoth shield and blow it up, which definitely indicates you could pass through it physically and destroy it from within, whereas you could not just blast through it.

GL clearly has this idea of force fields only blocking energy. Physical objects can push through them.

I really don't see it. Perhaps shields of the invisible nature (like the ones your referring too save for the Gungan shield, its the only anomaly in my theory) are passable by physical objects. All other visible shields have been impassible by physical objects as far as I can remember. so it would seem that.

Visible = Impassible
Invisible = passable

And since the Destroyer shields are visible shields then it stands to reason that they are not passable by any objects.

Last edited by ((The_Anomaly)) on Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:53 PM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2006 11:48 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Something tells me that the shield on Hoth would have been more visible, but where the battle took place, it wasn't due to the size of the shield.

Ray shields and thse shield walls in TPM...ray shields seem to be of high intensity, not that anyone could cut there way out of any kind of shield, but the shield walls in TPM aren't shields. They seem to be just...energy. They aren't meant to block laser fire, it's a mining facility, after all, not a warzone.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 12:03 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Why does a palace have a place like that? (TPM duel area)

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 12:10 AM
Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Shields are just energy. An energy barrier.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 12:11 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'm agreeing with Anomaly here. Sabers are of intense energy, but by the look and sound of the examples given, they can't cut through the energy of a Droideka shield.

I'm pretty sure, that it also depends on the force of the thing coming at it. That may explain why the Naboo fighters' lasers penetrated its shields, and why I doubt that a lead bullet would not disintegrate against the shield, unless of course, the shield is weaker than it looks.

If the Jedi had 1000 pounds behind his strike, then the shield may dissipate, but other than that, I think it needs the kind of magnitude that the fighters' laser let off.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 01:07 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Shields are just energy. An energy barrier.

Yes, but not like the ones in the Palace. Those are designed to act as shields. I'm not sure what the laser walls are, but they're not shields.

And I don't know, Shadow, but that's what it is. A plasma mining facility.

And about ray shields...they are different than droideka shielding. They are meant to keep something from moving and flesh cannot pass through it.

Last edited by REXXXX on Jan 11th, 2006 at 01:49 AM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 01:45 AM
truejedi

Luke and Mara were only able to destroy the droidika they faced by using the force to push a lightsaber underneath the droid while the shield was off, once the shield back on, luke used the force to turn on the saber, which then destroyed the droideka in an explosion that destroyed the saber. They were not able to penetrate the shield with their sabers.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 03:05 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Meh.. I never got the idea that a Saber will probably be able to just go through it.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 10:52 AM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Originally posted by Stun
lmao, bullets i feel would be much better against a jedi, i mean, you can pretty much see a lazor coming at ya - and the fact that you can't see a bullet makes me wonderstick out tongue

I know Battlefront II isn't concrete evidence, but a lightsaber cuts through em' like butter

Bullets would be useless against Jedi. They don't need to see projectiles heading their way- they can feel them in the Force. They could block bullets as easily as blaster bolts.

As for droideka shields, no, a lightsabre can't pierce it in just one strike. However the shield generators can be shorted out. Since it would take a great deal of energy to stop a lightsabre, if you could land several blows, the shield would overload and the generator would short out. The problem is getting close enough to do so.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 02:54 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Face it- GL clearly sees things this way. We have many examples of physical objects going through shields and absolutely no evidence that they ever act to the contrary. No matter how much you 'see it' or not, it's clearly there. You cannot simply ignore the Gungan example- it shows that this is a universal principle, visible or otherwise (which is just a matter of style anyway).

Hence, get inside the droideka shield, and the sabre could easily destroy it. That just happens to be very difficult, though.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jan 12th, 2006 at 02:00 PM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2006 06:03 PM