KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » What is wrong with the Academy?

What is wrong with the Academy?
Started by: chinabing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chinabing

What is wrong with the Academy?

So Star Wars Ep III get just one lousy nomination? No nominations in special effects, this from the company that has re-invented them time and time again? Are the voters so angry at Lucas they can't even fathom nominating his 'outsider' company, the same year when outsider films are nominated for best picture? Is Lucas being punished for his success? Is the Academy that petty?

The opening battle scene of ROTS should have won the Oscar for effects right there in the first 10 minutes! This is truly a slap in the face. They only nominated Narnia, Kong, and WotW, they could have nominated ROTS. One can only wonder why.

And even worse, no nominations for John William's music in ROTS, while he did get it for Munich, it's not the same.

Worse still, no nods for best supporting actor for Ian McDiarmid? He was absolutely charming and diabolical in the same role!

Let's hope they win the makeup nomination.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 04:46 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhindon
Mrs. Ackles

I LOVE Star Wars, but Narnia's effects beat ROTS big time.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 06:07 PM
Click here to Send Rhindon a Private Message Find more posts by Rhindon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Sadistic
I LOVE Star Wars, but Narnia's effects beat ROTS big time.

Yeah, but WotW didn't.

They could have at least NOMINATED it, if not gave it.

I wanted to see it get sound effects, editing, etc.. more of the technical awards. (music score too... but not win.)

The acting never stood a chance. Ian was great, but it was great for a StarWars movie.... they like gay cowboys and risky journalists... actually anything that's liberal stands a good chance... wink

Would have been a nice tip o' the hat to george to give him a best director nom., just to acknowledge all he did for the movies, but I digress....

(I must say that while I had my hopes, this doesn't really surprise me) stick out tongue

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 06:17 PM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

the academy hates lucas.
which i am conveniently apathetic to since
i dont give a shit about the academy or their awards.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 07:10 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

best makeup lol? do they have no taste in special fricken effects??

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 07:14 PM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Apparently not. big grin

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 07:14 PM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

i'm sorry, the end battle? is that not worthy for an oscar in it's own right? ahhhh, screw em! and i hope to god that Paris Hilton get's a razziestick out tongue

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 07:16 PM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

What the f**k? why wasnt Artoo nominated for best actor?What the f**k?

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 07:21 PM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

They just don't honor StarWars.

In a few years GL will get some honorary crap for his "contribution to films" or something... but that's it.

Remember, he quit the Director's Guild of America(DGA), and turned in his MPAA(motion picture assoc. of america) card when they tried to sue him for not putting the credits before the movie on Empire.

While history may prove GL right,( he has had the last laugh with the success of his films after all,) there are still enough bitter execs in Hollywood to stop any actors/directors who are friends of his that might have voted for him. cool

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 07:24 PM
kalsemo

Re: What is wrong with the Academy?

Originally posted by chinabing
So Star Wars Ep III get just one lousy nomination? No nominations in special effects, this from the company that has re-invented them time and time again? Are the voters so angry at Lucas they can't even fathom nominating his 'outsider' company, the same year when outsider films are nominated for best picture? Is Lucas being punished for his success? Is the Academy that petty?

The opening battle scene of ROTS should have won the Oscar for effects right there in the first 10 minutes! This is truly a slap in the face. They only nominated Narnia, Kong, and WotW, they could have nominated ROTS. One can only wonder why.

And even worse, no nominations for John William's music in ROTS, while he did get it for Munich, it's not the same.

Worse still, no nods for best supporting actor for Ian McDiarmid? He was absolutely charming and diabolical in the same role!

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 07:45 PM
Click here to Send kalsemo a Private Message Find more posts by kalsemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

HAHA...

Fanboys will cry themselves to sleep tonight...

In my opinion, it shouldn't have even gotten it for Make-Up...remember the Natalie scene on the balcony? She looked like crapola...if you can screw up the make-up on someone like Natalie in such an easy scene, you don't deserve an Oscar!

I think the nominations are fair...but there are sure a lot of people who will be pissed about WOTW...which I again say is a fabulous film and the F/X were simply amazinG!

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 09:33 PM
Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Im glad it didnt get nominated for effects, sure they did some incredible things, but every second of the movie looked fake as ****.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 10:07 PM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

wtf is wotw.

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 10:12 PM
Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Originally posted by tlbauerle
HAHA...

In my opinion, it shouldn't have even gotten it for Make-Up...remember the Natalie scene on the balcony? She looked like crapola...if you can screw up the make-up on someone like Natalie in such an easy scene, you don't deserve an Oscar!

I think the nominations are fair...but there are sure a lot of people who will be pissed about WOTW...which I again say is a fabulous film and the F/X were simply amazinG!

laughing out loud

I always thought that she was supposed to look jacked up. I thought that it was an "at home" scene, and that she didn't have any makeup on at all.

Just an observation from a married dude, but most wives ain't gonna have makeup on in the middle of the night for their husbands.

(It would sure as sh*t clear up that line of "love has blinded you" too, meaning.... I have no makeup on right now, but..... you still love me!) stick out tongue

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 10:28 PM
amity75

The oscars mean nothing. This is the mob who preferred Dances with Wolves to Goodfellas and Forrest Gump to The Shawshank Redemption. Someone should drug test the academy voters.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 10:32 PM
Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Originally posted by amity75
The oscars mean nothing. This is the mob who preferred Dances with Wolves to Goodfellas and Forrest Gump to The Shawshank Redemption. Someone should drug test the academy voters.

And gave Denzel Washington his Best Actor for "Training Day"

not Malcom X, not Hurricane.....

Det. Alonzo the thug.

"Training Day" laughing

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 10:48 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: What is wrong with the Academy?

Originally posted by chinabing

Revenge of the Sith was good, but........it's no Return of the King.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 11:01 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Originally posted by tlbauerle
HAHA...

Taken from Todd's webpage under his sig:

STAR WARS - EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH is released in theatres Thursday, May 19th...I'll be at the midnight showing, and many more after that...for sure.

And:

Films: Star Wars…all of them

Hmmm...

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 11:20 PM
~JP~
yeah baby

Actually I was kind of surprised that it didn't get a nod for costumes, but that's all I figured it would get if that. Makeup?

Lucas pretty much sealed his fate again this year with his speech at the People's Choice Awards where he basically told Hollywood and the critics to shove it, so this was no shocker for me.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 11:35 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Originally posted by sithsaber408
Taken from Todd's webpage under his sig:

STAR WARS - EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH is released in theatres Thursday, May 19th...I'll be at the midnight showing, and many more after that...for sure.

And:

Films: Star Wars…all of them

It is possible to like the movies and not think they are the best at everything. I love ROTS, but it didnt deserve a nomination for effects.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2006 11:40 PM
Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote