KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Why do critics love TLJ?

Why do critics love TLJ?
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx

Why do critics love TLJ?

Reading some TLJ reviews and I’m just shaking my head at the words I’m reading... why the hell do critics love this movie? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2019 08:31 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

This is the article I was reading btw:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...st-to-best/amp/

They ranked TLJ as the best Star Wars movie of all time.... give me a break. This author is ****ing high

Old Post Dec 25th, 2019 08:32 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Critics loved it for the non-conventional storytelling. This is pretty much why fans loathed it. They wanted a Star Wars film, Star Wars is at its core the most fundamental story of all as well as full of tropes, and TLJ was not a SW film.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2019 09:43 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Critics loved it for the non-conventional storytelling. This is pretty much why fans loathed it. They wanted a Star Wars film, Star Wars is at its core the most fundamental story of all as well as full of tropes, and TLJ was not a SW film.
When you phrase it like that you just make it sound like Star Wars fans have shit taste.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2019 09:48 PM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Well you go to a SW film you expect to see a SW film. Not a film that shits all over the fandom and ruins Luke Skywalker. And non-conventional does not necessarily mean good.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2019 09:55 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighter332
Jake Skywalker

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Reading some TLJ reviews and I’m just shaking my head at the words I’m reading... why the hell do critics love this movie? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

1 reason - the critics are on Disney's payroll - they are paid to pretend the movie is good - that is the 1 and only reason!

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 05:25 PM
Click here to Send Lighter332 a Private Message Find more posts by Lighter332 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Lighter332
1 reason - the critics are on Disney's payroll - they are paid to pretend the movie is good - that is the 1 and only reason!

That argument might have worked before TROS was Rotten on RT.

Its Actually the only Star Wars film to be Rotten on initial release.

TPM and TROS are the only Star Wars films which are rotten on period.

(Not including TCW film).

That said I do feel like critics gave TFA an easy time. Just completely let that film off on the fact that it completely imitated ANH. And it was starting off in that way that ultimately doomed this trilogy from day 1 Imo.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Dec 26th, 2019 at 05:50 PM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 05:44 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Yeah, most of RoS and TLJ’s faults are due to TFA. TFA created Rey who could perform mind tricks with little training, TFA gave us the Empire 2.0 (even though it was TLJ which claimed that the FO was conquering the whole galaxy again in a few weeks), TFA gave us Emo Vader and Jedi Purge 2.0. Well, maybe Ryan Johnson could have fixed the trilogy if he did what Jar Jar did with RoS, like ignoring what’s happened in the previous episode and so on. But I guess he isn’t much of a fan of SW universe so he couldn’t tell what was right and what was wrong. However, weren’t there on set some SW nerd who told Abrams and Johnson “Look, this is something Rey shouldn’t be able to do with no training”?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 06:20 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Lol @ Jar Jar Abrams. I love that name.

And no because some dumbass told Bob Iger that Everyone hates the Prequels they only concentrated on the OT. And because in the OT Luke doesnt get that much formal training, so they obviously got from that the idea that training isnt that important.

Its only later when the fans started questioning the stupidity of TFA that they brought in more Prequel references and tried to justify Rey as a special case for not needing much training.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 07:24 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by xPRIMEx

No idea, either.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 09:10 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

What's worse, The Last Jedi or 1994's 'North'?

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 04:40 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

The Last Jedi is a terrible middle act Star Wars film. It's actually a decent picture on it's own merits....but alas, this movie can't stand on it's own merits. It's the film that bridges the first movie to the 3rd, and it didn't excel at that.

However.....critics like the movie because it's layered. It had a message, and the writing was competent. Love it or hate it, it was the best written of the ST. It's biggest mistake is that the film ended the way it started, and there was no sense of threat by the end.

As I said, a good film on its own. Not a good middle act.

I like George.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2020 01:26 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sith Master X
The Last Jedi is a terrible middle act Star Wars film. It's actually a decent picture on it's own merits....but alas, this movie can't stand on it's own merits. It's the film that bridges the first movie to the 3rd, and it didn't excel at that.

However.....critics like the movie because it's layered. It had a message, and the writing was competent. Love it or hate it, it was the best written of the ST. It's biggest mistake is that the film ended the way it started, and there was no sense of threat by the end.

As I said, a good film on its own. Not a good middle act.
I agree 100%

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 04:58 PM
Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote