KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » Hosted Area Game Ideas Submission- READ THIS THREAD FIRST!

Hosted Area Game Ideas Submission- READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (159): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Hosted Area Game Ideas Submission- READ THIS THREAD FIRST!

Welcome to the Hosted Role-playing area.

The definition of a 'Hosted' game is one thay is run by a particular person (ort group of people)- the 'Host'. Commonly referred to as a Gamesmaster, Dungeon Master or Referee, the Host decides all the rules for the game, is the ultimate arbiter of all that happens within it, and decided how many can play in a game and who is and is not invited.

Often a Hosted game involves pre-defined story backgrounds for other people to play through and shape the plot, with the Host simply playing the background characters and informing players of events to react to. Sometimes, the Hosty will be actually part of a game that is simply a more focussed version of an Unhosted one.

Regardless, a Hosted game is a more in-depth, planned and detailed game than an Unhosted one. It is more restrictive- you are certainly limited in what you can do- but also more focussed, and many find it far more satisfying.

If you want to join a Hosted game, either use a thread provided for joining that game, or PM the Host. Please do not just post willy-nilly into someone else's game! That's very rude.

As for starting a game... this thread is the place to disucss game ideas for this area. Like the Unhosted area, no game can start without my approval; ask for it here.

Unlike Unhosted, however, I need more than a coherent idea and interested players to start a game. I need to be satisifed in myself that the game is practical and worthwhile to play. This has nothing to do with whether I personally like the idea, it is an objective appraisal of a game's merits. I do not want the Hosted area to be full of hasty, improvised ideas; that is the domain of Unhosted.

To satsify these requirements, good ideas to post with a Hosted idea are:

1. Some idea of the plot. If it is an X-Men game, for example, it can't just be the random adventures of some X-Men. What is going on? Is there some specific tasks, or series of tasks, to be done? Or more generally than that, what sort of theme does the game have- is it about kick-ass mutants fighting for survival against Magneto's cronies? Or maybe you are playing Magneto's cronies? Or is it a game about the struggle of being a mutant? And so on.

2. Some idea of the characters. Can you make your own, or not? If you can, what sort of limits are involved Are there broad types of characters you are interested in, or is it 'anything goes'?

3. Some idea of the rules. This does not have to be a rulebook- though it can be- but there definitely has to be some sort of structure that the Host enforces.

4. Some idea of the way the game will be run. How much effect on the plotline can the players have? Is there an ultimate objective? What sort of style do you like from the posts? And so on.

If your idea satisfies some or all of these elements, I am far more likely to think it is a worthwhile idea. Of course, an idea needs interest as well, but interest alone without the above ideas makes me think that it would probably work better Unhosted.

Hosted games can be a lot of work but very worthwhile. If you want any advice about how to go around making one, please PM me and I will get back to you when I can.

But please, do not PM me with game ideas or asking to start a game! This thread alone is the place to do that; if I allowed it by PM I would get swamped and could never cope- therefore, by principle I do not respond to such PMs. Please do be patient; whilst I often get very busy I try to check all ideas as regularly as I can.

Ask me for help or advice on the concept of a Hosted game- but keep your game requests in this thread, thanks.

Ok folks, post away...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 30th, 2005 at 02:12 PM

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 01:11 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just as a note, at the end of the old Game ideas thrread, I permitted the X-Men idea.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 01:11 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gohukes

Is it alright for me to re-post my old idea, or is that going to be like... really un-cool?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 03:03 PM
Gohukes is currently offline Click here to Send Gohukes a Private Message Find more posts by Gohukes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zac_j
Hogsmeade RP by Zac J!!!

Harry Potter - Hogsmeade

Rules:
1) No being Characters from the books, you may make your own character or be yourself.

2) No member bashing.

3) No cussing. Mildly is ok, but no going into heavy detention worthy swearing.

4) Have fun!

Thanks for the sig, KillTheLight!!!

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 05:47 PM
zac_j is currently offline Click here to Send zac_j a Private Message Find more posts by zac_j Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Movie_Geek_
Fighter

You need to have more if you want it in the hostedthread.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 05:55 PM
Movie_Geek_ is currently offline Click here to Send Movie_Geek_ a Private Message Find more posts by Movie_Geek_ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Liberator
Mums Gardener

Samurai RPG (currently thinking of a plot)

- Emma Goldman

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 06:09 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

The Celestial War

What happens when darkness engulfs all the light? When no one will stand for what is right anymore...and when all appears to be doomed. In the world of Igros these very questions must be answered.

Dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the morning light.
The dark Lord rides in force tonight
And time will tell us all.

Throw down your plow and hoe,
Rest not to lock your homes.
Side by side we wait the might
Of the darkest of them all.

I hear the horses’ thunder
Down in the valley below,
I’m waiting for the angels of Avalon,
Waiting for the eastern glow.

The apples of the valley hold
The seeds of happiness,
The ground is rich from tender care,
Repay, do not forget, no, no.

Dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the morning light.
The apples turn to brown and black,
The tyrant’s face is red

The war is common cry,
Pick up your swords and fly.
The sky is filled with good and bad
That mortals never know.

Well, the night is long
The beads of time pass slow,
Tired eyes on the sunrise,
Waiting for the eastern glow.

The pain of war cannot exceed
The woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall,
The reapers ride in black!

Ride not to death nor to ruin but ride for Igros and its freedom. Draw swords together and prepare for the Celestial War.

Races that can be played as are: (No werewolves or demons or vampires)

Man: (Good/Evil) Men were once weak and leaderless till the white wizard came and brought order. Now the men have developed a mighty kingdom and is said to be the strongest...Gandriar, the oldest kingdom of man. Other kingdoms too have been created: Hyland, Uplian, Hon, Fongon, Toran, and Maldarian but none are stronger then Gandriar.

Catlon: A tribe of women that appear to be just women but look closer and you will see the big difference in the 3 races:

Ancients: (Good/Evil) These were the first catlons to come to Igros and are now few in numbers. Cat ears and tails with fur on their shoulders and arms and legs.

Forrtu: (Evil) The second race of catlons that are ruthless and evil. They have fur but no cat ears or tails.

Woodrow: (Good) The last race of catlons that aid the good. Woodrows have cat ears and tails but no fur.

Dai-ork: (Evil) A race that was created by the lesser orc. Orcs brought the dead bodies of those long dead to the land of shadows, Darkice and at once brought them to life. All dai-orks appear to be men that are bigger and stronger and faster and are dark green in color with yellow sharp teeth. Dai-orks have no meaning of mercy.

Classes:
Warrior: A soldier trained in all forms of melee combat
Archer: A soldier trained in all forms of ranged combat
Ranger: A woodsman trained in both melee and ranged combat
Mage: A wizard with little dark magic
Priest: A wizard with little light magic
(NOTE: The mages and priests no matter how strong they get are no match for the Six Sages of Avalon so don't try to make your characters godly)

Kingdoms:
Man:
-Good-
Gandriar, Hyland, Fongon, Hon, and Uplian
-Bad-
Toran and Maldarian

Catlon:
-Good-
Silence Woods, Getian Forest, and Grand Woods
-Bad-
Getian Mountains, Lone Mountain, and Dark Mountains

Dai-ork:
-Bad-
Darkice and Ethian

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 07:22 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gohukes

Sounds like fun, Celestial! I'd like in, if you can run it!

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 10:44 PM
Gohukes is currently offline Click here to Send Gohukes a Private Message Find more posts by Gohukes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkDethbringer
Kakow how you like me now

and Gohukes yes repost you''re idea

well for now at least,

I'm unsure if i will stay for too long

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 10:49 PM
DarkDethbringer is currently offline Click here to Send DarkDethbringer a Private Message Find more posts by DarkDethbringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

1 for The Celestial War

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 11:11 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gohukes

Okay, Dragonball Z by any other name...

It is several hundred years after the legendary fighters known as Goku and Vegeta destroyed the evil creature Majin Buu, their triumphs and pains are forgotten, none now live who remember them...
For, just a few short decades after the fall of Majin Buu and earth started to rebuild its culture and strength, an advance group of five Saiyajin warriors landed on the planet, and demanded to speak to the leader.
They were an envoy from an old Saiyajin outpost on the far reaches of the galaxy, long forgotten by everyone, they had been shocked by Frieza's treachery, and even more so when they learned that he too was just one member of a multi-galaxy spanning empire.
They went into overdrive building arms and training their people to fight back against the Icerian empire, and as the last of their people, they started to spread to other planets, populating them and building up a small empire of their own.
However, with the destruction of Frieza and his father and brother, the Icerian empire were alerted to a particularly nasty thorn in their side- Earth, reasoning that any place to shelter such amazing powers must be an incredible threat.
And so the empire mobilized, sending a few crack teams to dispatch of the problem, imagine their surprise when, by the time they reached the edge of the correct galaxy (one they had overlooked pretty much, after all, Frieza had pretty much dominated it) They met a full Saiyajin fleet ready to meet them, the battle was intense, with many losses suffered on both sides, until the Empire radioed in for more help... and then the Saiyajins were forced to beat a hasty retreat.
Over the next few years, whole planets were raized in the vicious combat between the two sides, neither willing to give an inch more than they absolutely had to, eventually, however, the Saiyajin forces could only do so much, and thus they had come to Earth to plead for help.
The humans agreed instantly, terrified by the very memory of the Creature- Majin Buu- that many still remembered at the time, they built up forces and sent as much aid as they could, but Humans- most of them being useful only in technological combat- could not do much against the ki-wielding forces of the Icerian empire.
That was when the Nameks stepped in.
Honoring pacts that they had made with Earth when they were given a new planet, the Namekians swore aid to Earth and the Saiyajins, training the Humans to be Ki-aware and to fight properly.
And so the war for the galaxy raged on, and on, and on... decades passed, and no conclusion could be reached, it looked like the resources the Icerians had to draw on were literally limitless, and the combined forces of the Saiyajins, Nameks and Humans could only do so much in the face of such strength... eventually, even Earth- the human home world- was destroyed by their wrath, leaving the Humans a nomadic and scattered race, until they again settled on the planet now known as Last Hope.

But all was not lost, for a great Human scientist again came upon the secrets first discovered by the great Dr. Gero, namely the creation of biodroids and and androids. This time, supposedly, without will or personality.

Using these great warriors, the Icerian empire was forced into one distant corner of the galaxy, they couldn't be driven out completely, but the main force were isolated and controlled... until the uprising.

Amazingly, androids and biodroids could not be created that had -no- personality, and in the great Uprising against their masters, they ran rampant, and eventually came to carve out their own world, again on the far reaches of the galaxy, where they reside to this day, hating all flesh-based life forms, still bitter after all these years for the humiliation and torment that they experienced.

And yes, there are still creatures much like Majin Buu that roam the galaxy, but none have reached his level of power, and none have met one and lived to tell the tale, so for now lets pretend they don't exist.

And yet, all this happened so many, many years ago, the last successful Icerian raid on a human controlled planet was nearly ninety years ago now, and the android planet has been silent far longer... and none of this concerns you people! Because now a great tournament is coming to Last Hope, a galaxy-wide tournament, which challenges the greatest fighters- be they Saiyajin, Namekian or Human, to come and test their strength against each other in friendly competition!

And yet... out there in the vastness of the universe, a dark power is brewing, the androids have been silent so very long, the Icers too... is there some other agenda going on here? Why have humanities greatest enemies let them regroup for so long?

Did they have a choice?

I'm ideally looking for between 4-7 players, character creation details will be given on request through PM, and dice rolling will need to be done... I'll probably handle that side, if there are no problems with that of course.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 11:35 PM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

8bitchris - I'd join your game from the old thread - I suggest a re-post, though.

Snoopbert/LTA - I say yes, again, I would join the D&D game.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2005 02:02 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
X-Menfan04

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Just as a note, at the end of the old Game ideas thrread, I permitted the X-Men idea.

Thank You

bunnyShalimar_Fox,Wei Phoenix,Jalekbunny

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 03:46 AM
X-Menfan04 is currently offline Click here to Send X-Menfan04 a Private Message Find more posts by X-Menfan04 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Three Angelic powers in the night sky,
Five Demonic auras in the burning flame,
Six Sages strength in the land doomed to die,
A Tower built by mortals to house the light.
A Pendant of endless power, A Pendant of strength,
A Pendant that cannot be stopped and it is called Celestial.

The Judgment of Celestial:
The Adventure of the Pendant

After traveling for nealry three months the young lads; Elijah, Sheldon, Christian, and Cameron have alas came to Port Town after meeting the ranger, Striker. The boys went through Silence Woods and fought the deadly dai-orks with aid from catlons, ran across the Sulcuum Fields being persued by the Shadowghouls, and even went through a mine that would have been the end of them. Now the adventure is about to begin and the fate of Igros rests on the balance.

-Characters-
Striker
Alextor Black
Bradon Smith

(We'll just have three up for a moment and if more people join one of the remaining six will be added)

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2005 08:09 PM
SSJoku7

Hello, this is my first time trying this but ill do my best, here goes.

RPG: DragonBallGT

Plot: Villians are coming back one by one over the years and it is the Z-warriors job to 1. stop them and 2. find out why this is happening.

Rules: Races- Namekian, Saiyan, Human, Half Human Half Saiyan, or Kai
Restrictions- Up to eight different abilities, inventory max of 12, one energy attack to start and earn others along the way
Transformations- Super Namekian (namekian only), super saiyan 1&2 (saiyan heritage only), enraged super saiyan (half human half saiyan only), unlock potential (human heritage only), Kaio Ken (Kai only)

Questions can be sent to SSJoku7's privite mail by anyone

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2005 06:41 PM
SSJoku7 is currently offline Click here to Send SSJoku7 a Private Message Find more posts by SSJoku7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJoku7

oh yeah, characters can be made up or be real characters from the show, but all will start at the same level and stats

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2005 06:45 PM
SSJoku7 is currently offline Click here to Send SSJoku7 a Private Message Find more posts by SSJoku7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletPheonix
Goblyn Queen

ill join celestial

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 06:32 PM
ScarletPheonix is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletPheonix a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletPheonix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zac_j
Hogsmeade RP by Zac J!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by zac_j
Harry Potter - Hogsmeade

Rules:
1) No being Characters from the books, you may make your own character or be yourself.

2) No member bashing.

3) No cussing. Mildly is ok, but no going into heavy detention worthy swearing.

4) Have fun!

-Places-
Zonko's Joke Shop
Honeyduke's
The Shrieking Shack
The Leaky Cauldron
The Three Broomsticks
The Hog's Head

You can make your own shop, but you have to have at least 5 people want you to open it.

You can own a shop if you are the first one to call it.

-People-

Good:
Hogwarts Students (Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, or Slytherin)
Teachers

Bad:
Dementor
Lord Voldemort
Death Eaters

-Money-
Everyone starts out with 100 Galleons. You can make money by finding it off the ground (keep reading) borrowing from other students, or opening a shop.

Earning money:
To earn money, you can either borrow some or open a shop. It costs 80 Galleons to open a shop. You can also find money off of the ground. The only way to find money is if an important person who either runs the thread or helps to run the thread states that there is money on the ground. In that case, the next person to post gets the money.

Losing Money:
You can rob someone for a total of one time a week. If you exceed the limit, you will lose all of your Galleons. If you are robbed by someone, you have to wait a week to rob someone. If you rob someone, you can only take between 5 and 10 Galleons.

That's basically it. Do you want this as an RP?

Thanks for the sig, KillTheLight!!!

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 09:50 PM
zac_j is currently offline Click here to Send zac_j a Private Message Find more posts by zac_j Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkDethbringer
Kakow how you like me now

I will join both of teh DBZ/GT ideas

well for now at least,

I'm unsure if i will stay for too long

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 10:10 PM
DarkDethbringer is currently offline Click here to Send DarkDethbringer a Private Message Find more posts by DarkDethbringer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
captainwesker
We're not alone.

Hey Ush, did you approve my Resident Evil RP?

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 10:28 PM
captainwesker is currently offline Click here to Send captainwesker a Private Message Find more posts by captainwesker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote