KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Could these movies work?

Could these movies work?
Started by: Madvillain

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Madvillain

Could these movies work?

Which of these Marvel movies do you think could work on the big screen?

1. Cable

2. The Runaways

3. Starjammers

4. Black Panther

5. Dr. Strange

Old Post May 14th, 2007 10:56 AM
Madvillain is currently offline Click here to Send Madvillain a Private Message Find more posts by Madvillain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Dr Strange would be cool with today's special effects capabilities. Runaways could work, but that may be my own personal like of Runaways.

Starjammers? Nah. Cable? Nah.

Black Panther? Imho, possibly but not well I don't think. There'd be many a comparison to Batman by the average moviegoer.

Old Post May 14th, 2007 11:00 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Madvillain

1. Cable-- I think a Cable movie is entirely feasible, especially if it's set in a future timeline (think Terminator)

2. The Runaways-- This I think could definately work. So many good stories to choose from, and it could keep people entertained for years as a franchise.

3. Starjammers-- Hmm, this would be a hit or miss. Marvel has never done an epic sci-fi like Star Trek or Star Wars (not that they'd need to anyway), but something tells me a very good screenwriter can make a blockbuster out of their adventures...and I think the success of it will hinge on whoever plays Corsair. A strong leading male actor could pull it off. All the other stuff could sell themselves..

4. Black Panther-- read the thread I already made.

5. Dr. Strange-- a very longshot. i can't really see a film being made out of this...unless people are ready to dole out money to see an adult Harry Potter =)

Old Post May 14th, 2007 11:06 AM
Madvillain is currently offline Click here to Send Madvillain a Private Message Find more posts by Madvillain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Meh, if you didn't want comments about similarities the moviegoing public would draw between Black Panther and Batman, you probably shouldn't have put him in this thread as well. erm

Frankly none of these concepts have the necessary notoriety nor broad appeal of a Spider-Man or X-Men. And even Spider-Man 3 is currently, while not struggling, not doing as spectacularly as the first.

300 was an epic movie with spectacular cinematography, lack of competition, a lot of pre-release buzz and good word of mouth. 300 was basically a really long videogame FMV. I don't predict any of the above concepts would play out the same way.

Old Post May 14th, 2007 11:18 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Madvillain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Meh, if you didn't want comments about similarities the moviegoing public would draw between Black Panther and Batman, you probably shouldn't have put him in this thread as well. erm

Umm, that wasn't directed an you in any way. It was just a general statement actually.

And why exactly would they need noteriety? How many people know of Blade, Hellboy or Constantine from comics? I assure you that not even a quarter of the people that have seen these movies know any of these characters from their respective comics.

Old Post May 14th, 2007 11:29 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

The respective domestic box office numbers of Blade, Hellboy and Constantine were $70 million, $60 million and $75 million - not exactly spectacular when one looks at their respective production budgets of $45, $66 and $100 million. Blade had Wesley Snipes, a relatively bankable actor at the time. Constantine had Keanu Reeves and Rachel Weisz.

A big name actor tends to increase production budget. A film like the one you're proposing for Cable or the Starjammers, also need large effect budgets. Likewise Dr Strange, and possible for Runaways. Less so for Black Panther. I just don't see them being that financially successful.

Old Post May 14th, 2007 12:18 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Only Black Panther and Dr. Strange could work on their own.
The others are just offshoots of the X-Men mythos; the mutants would have to be involved. It's not like they can just make a movie about the Shi'ar and the Imperial Guard, either.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 14th, 2007 04:54 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

Dr.Strange

Nuff Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black Panther could be translated,but I say with minimal sucssus.It would probably turn out about like daredevil.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Last edited by mr.smiley on May 15th, 2007 at 01:17 AM

Old Post May 15th, 2007 01:09 AM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
endrict
Restricted

Account Restricted

Black Panther and Dr. Strange...the others nope not a chance.

Sig done by me.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 02:02 PM
endrict is currently offline Click here to Send endrict a Private Message Find more posts by endrict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

You know what would make a good movie? QEZEL!

Old Post May 31st, 2007 04:56 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

comic book movies have more than enough teenage angst running through the veins. so no to runaways, it would be the x-men movie without wolverine or xavier.

Cable is to vague of a character to focus a movie around without having some conection with the x-men so no

Black panther..Are you serious..batman in africa. There has been enough second string comic character with their own movies and it has enver worked. The subject material is more silly than most comics.

Starjammers..Only if enogh care went into the movie, and if comic flicks have taught us anything, its that care rarely goes into comic flicks. There are to many characters to focus on, By the time we were properly introduced to the characters, there would be no time for a story...Fantastic four anyone?

Dr.Strange...Yes this could be possible. This is a popular market for the occult and magic, and his character is very much rampant with diversity enough for compelling contrast

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2007 04:39 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Dr. Strange is most likey one out of then all that would work.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2007 02:43 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
Only Black Panther and Dr. Strange could work on their own.
The others are just offshoots of the X-Men mythos; the mutants would have to be involved. It's not like they can just make a movie about the Shi'ar and the Imperial Guard, either.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Jun 9th, 2007 03:27 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Re: Could these movies work?

Originally posted by Madvillain
Which of these Marvel movies do you think could work on the big screen?

1. Cable

2. The Runaways

3. Starjammers

4. Black Panther

5. Dr. Strange

The Black Panther will work after Wesley Snipes pays his taxes.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 11th, 2007 07:24 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

Dr. Strange and Black Panther have the potential to work...

however...

You're not gonna see a Batman Begins from them. You're going to see the Daredevil versions. They'll be good enough that you can see that they accomplished what they could've, but they won't be some mega-hit. Black Panther will get mediocre reviews because his story isn't as thrilling as other superheroes and we've seen some of these concepts before. Dr. Strange will get better reviews cause people will be hypnotized by the glitz and glamor of the special effects. The characters themselves, despite being well known amongst the comic community, simply aren't as heavy as those like Spider-Man, so they'll suffer from that as well as the almost guaranteed employment of some directors that will do the same as they did with Ghost Rider. They won't hire people like a Chris Nolan who won't be susceptible to "producer notes", so we'll get a lot of "maybe you should add some humor here" kind of things. If we get these movies, they'll be ok, but they'll certainly be nothing to write home about, so its a shame. However, you'll never see films about the others.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2007 07:36 PM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the comic kid

dr. strange, & black panther thats as far as I'll go.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 04:35 AM
the comic kid is currently offline Click here to Send the comic kid a Private Message Find more posts by the comic kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

Actually, I could see the Starjammers work if it was kind of comedy based and it didnt take itself to seriously. I'm thinking maybe something on the lines of 'Serenity'. It wouldnt get the big budget though.

By Stoic

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 12:10 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Originally posted by endrict
Black Panther and Dr. Strange...the others nope not a chance.
Agreed

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 01:44 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Runaways - As a film it would fail , a Tv series on the other hand in the vein of (either) Buffy or the Live Action Clone Wars would work however.

Black Panther - ....No

Cable - Could work , you cut away all the X-men crap and just go with him being a super powered time-traveler , then focus on his jesus aspect before finally finishing it with him martyring himself.

Starjammers - Nope

Dr Strange - Possibly, make it less Harry Potter and more DnD and it could work.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 08:25 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nihilist

a dr strange animated movie has already been made,its out in August.

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 10:40 AM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote