KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Best Duelists

Best Duelists
Started by: nmensfinest

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
nmensfinest
Restricted

Account Restricted

Best Duelists

Who do you feel are the best duelists, and why?

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 09:48 AM
nmensfinest is currently offline Click here to Send nmensfinest a Private Message Find more posts by nmensfinest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scurran

Well i think you have to loook to the most experienced members of the Death Eaters and order for this one.

Voldemort and Dumbledore would be on par in my opinion.

Then you would have people like Bellatrix, Kingsley, Sirius, Lupin, Snape, Mcgonagall etc. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Even Molly Weasley after deathly hallows lol

Then id say people like The twins, Percy, Neville, Hermione. Im not sure about Harry, he hasnt really shown any proper skill.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 10:11 AM
scurran is currently offline Click here to Send scurran a Private Message Find more posts by scurran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nmensfinest
Restricted

Account Restricted

I generally like to view the ten best duelists as follows:

Lord Voldemort
Albus Dumbledore
Gellert Grindelward
Bellatrix Lestrange
Alastor Moody
Kingsley Shacklebolt
James Potter
Serverus Snape
Sirius Black
Minerva McGonagall

I'll post reasons later, but I'm pretty sure that's spot on.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 11:10 AM
nmensfinest is currently offline Click here to Send nmensfinest a Private Message Find more posts by nmensfinest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

quote: (post)
Originally posted by nmensfinest
I generally like to view the ten best duelists as follows:

Lord Voldemort
Albus Dumbledore
Gellert Grindelward
Bellatrix Lestrange
Alastor Moody
Kingsley Shacklebolt
James Potter
Serverus Snape
Sirius Black
Minerva McGonagall

I'll post reasons later, but I'm pretty sure that's spot on.

Dolohov was good, also. I'd also probably put Lupin up there, also.

I wish we could've seen more of what James could actually do. It's unfortunate that he left his wand on the sofa. All we've really seen of his dueling abilities was when he was bullying Snape.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 01:47 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miss_swann
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

In my opinion:

Dumbeldore - (for obvious reasons and the fact Voldemort was scared of him meaning most of the dark side were scared of him.)
Bellatrix - (Because she uses magic as an answer to everything.)
Voldemort - (I know, most people would put him higher, only I reckon really he isn't as prepared to fight he just ends it quickly.)
Flitwick - (Dueling champion as we heard in CoS)
Sirius
Snape (under Sirius because again he was likely to finish things quickly if it was to go to the kill.)
The order (including the twins, Percy, Bill and Charlie) and inner circle all on a par I reckon. (From what we've seen)
Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna and Neville (Because they were the elite at the DA)
The rest of the DA (because they have a lot of spirit!)

I can't make sigs, Silent Dreams can.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 04:02 PM
miss_swann is currently offline Click here to Send miss_swann a Private Message Find more posts by miss_swann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arianna

Originally posted by scurran
Well i think you have to loook to the most experienced members of the Death Eaters and order for this one.

Voldemort and Dumbledore would be on par in my opinion.

Then you would have people like Bellatrix, Kingsley, Sirius, Lupin, Snape, Mcgonagall etc. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Even Molly Weasley after deathly hallows lol

Then id say people like The twins, Percy, Neville, Hermione. Im not sure about Harry, he hasnt really shown any proper skill.

I agree with you.

Ravenclaw will fight!

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 07:34 PM
Arianna is currently offline Click here to Send Arianna a Private Message Find more posts by Arianna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Just remember, Remus Lupin, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: with exception the Battle of Hogwarts, never recieved injury while duelling with Death Eaters. He may have been an exceptionally talented duellist, albiet he may not have been. Living amongst feral werewolves, attempting to persuade them to reject Voldemort, however futile, bears merit too.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 08:01 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

Originally posted by scurran
Im not sure about Harry, he hasnt really shown any proper skill.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 08:15 PM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Originally posted by exanda kane
Just remember, Remus Lupin, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: with exception the Battle of Hogwarts, never recieved injury while duelling with Death Eaters. He may have been an exceptionally talented duellist, albiet he may not have been. Living amongst feral werewolves, attempting to persuade them to reject Voldemort, however futile, bears merit too.

I like this point, in the Battle at the Ministry it was only Dumbledore and Remus Lupin (out of the Order) that escaped unharmed and if I remember right Lupin was duelling with Lucius upon that occasion.

Tonks was injured by Bellatrix
Moody was incapacitated by Dolohov
Kingsley was defeated by Bellatrix
Sirius was killed by Bellatrix

I think in terms of duelling people always under-rate Remus's abilities and "power" when it comes to magic. Admittedly I am biassed, by no means would I say hes top of the list of duellers but when people like Moody, Snape, Kingsley and McGonogall are on a list I think Remus Lupin should at least be listed among them.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 09:54 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

Voldemort
Dumbledore
Bellatrix
Snape
Flitwick - (Don't ask why. Seriously.)

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2007 09:59 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

1. Dumbledore - He had the elder wand after all, so no one stood any chance to duel him

2. Voldermort- For being who he was

3. Snape- the bravest among all, he only had the courage to look at the Dark Lord and lie

4. Bellatrix- the most poisoning Death Eater- to me she ressebles black mamba

5. Minerva, Molly, Arthur, Kinglsy

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 02:51 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

Originally posted by Unicor777
3. Snape- the bravest among all, he only had the courage to look at the Dark Lord and lie

So did Harry in the first book and he was eleven then.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 08:45 PM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Harry never quite managed to convince old snakeface that he was his most trusted servant though, did he?

So many factors determine the outcome of these battles; Rowling's pen does more than simply knock off characters on her blacklist. However, if it really boils down to it, it would probably go a little like this.

The Highest Tier - Dumbledore and Voldemort. Undisputed masters of all wand brandishing and both the epitome of their respective alignment. Could well have been Vader and Ben Kenobi, Aslan or Jadis in their place.

2nd Tier - Mad Eye and Kingsley Shacklebolt are up here; Voldermort singles them out as the most powerful aurors in the Deathly Hallows. Mad Eye seems to have degraded with age a little however, or simply his reputation precedes him, rather than his skill. You could shove Bellatrix up there, perhaps Dolohov (having offed Mrs. Wealeys brothers) for good measure.

3rd Tier - Closely following the 2nd (bear in mind, there are exceptions) are the generation of Harry's dad, all the Marauders apart from Wormtail, along with Snape and the majority of his Slytherin flatmates.

It is an injustice to Rowling's writing to boil her fiction down to computer-game physics however.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 09:15 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

I'm surprised how low down Snape has been put. He was quite obviously the strongest out of all the Death Eaters, closely followed by Bellatrix. so my list wuld have to be something like this:

1. Voldemort (If Dumbledore felt that he could have defeated him he would have)
2. Dumbledore (When he fought Vodemort in Ootp they seemed on par, yet dumbledore had the Eldar wand which makes me believe that Voldemort was more skillful)
3. Snape (The fact he was able to invent spells such as 'Sectumsempra' while at Hogwarts is quite an achievment, also he had the ability to fly, the only other person shown to be able to do this being Voldemort)
4. Grindelwald (It took everything Dumbledore had to defeat him, yet he had the Eldar wand but was still defeated)
5. Bellatrix (Insane, and very strong)
6. Kingsley (He's often fought multiple death eaters at once and come through unscathed)
7. Sirius/Lupin/James Potter (Probably all on a similar level, but very strong wizards)
8. McGonagall/Flitwick (Past their best, but definately still up there)

I'm pretty unsure about the rest, your never quite sure what Harry is capable of, he was able to work spells such as the Imperius curse and Cruciatus curse, which must take some skill. I was wondering how other people thought harry compared to the people on this list etc?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 02:00 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Originally posted by Dresta
I'm surprised how low down Snape has been put. He was quite obviously the strongest out of all the Death Eaters, closely followed by Bellatrix. so my list wuld have to be something like this:

2. Dumbledore (When he fought Vodemort in Ootp they seemed on par, yet dumbledore had the Eldar wand which makes me believe that Voldemort was more skillful)
3. Snape (The fact he was able to invent spells such as 'Sectumsempra' while at Hogwarts is quite an achievment, also he had the ability to fly, the only other person shown to be able to do this being Voldemort)
4. Grindelwald (It took everything Dumbledore had to defeat him, yet he had the Eldar wand but was still defeated)
6. Kingsley (He's often fought multiple death eaters at once and come through unscathed)
7. Sirius/Lupin/James Potter (Probably all on a similar level, but very strong wizards)

I'm pretty unsure about the rest, your never quite sure what Harry is capable of, he was able to work spells such as the Imperius curse and Cruciatus curse, which must take some skill. I was wondering how other people thought harry compared to the people on this list etc?

I wouldn't place Flitwick and McGonagall below Sirius/Lupin/James. I'd probably place Flickwick and McGonagall alongside Kingsley or even Bellatrix, who I think is about equal with Snape, if not slightly stronger.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 02:53 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superherovandal
CEO of BS Comics Inc.

Originally posted by Dresta

I think the Grindelwald is definitely much more duelwise proficient than Snape. Snape's strong but nowhere enough that he could be considered near or even close to Dumbledore which in the Deathly Hallows it is stated that Grindelwald was. Grindel was apparently just slightly behind Dumbledore. But we really can't gauge Sirius too much cause for all we know the only reason he really lost was that he fell in the veil. or even James for that matter.

I am creator of all the master of all things BS. Bow before my mighty form!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 05:13 PM
Superherovandal is currently offline Click here to Send Superherovandal a Private Message Find more posts by Superherovandal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by DarkC
Voldemort
Dumbledore
Bellatrix
Snape
Flitwick - (Don't ask why. Seriously.)

Saying Flitwick's among the top is very reasonable, actually. In Chamber of Secrets someone mentions that Flitwick used to be a duelling champion when he was younger. Sure, he's probably past his prime now, but still likely very talented and good at duelling.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 05:16 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by miss_swann
In my opinion:

Dumbeldore - (for obvious reasons and the fact Voldemort was scared of him meaning most of the dark side were scared of him.)
Voldemort - (I know, most people would put him higher, only I reckon really he isn't as prepared to fight he just ends it quickly.)
Sirius
Snape (under Sirius because again he was likely to finish things quickly if it was to go to the kill.)
The order (including the twins, Percy, Bill and Charlie) and inner circle all on a par I reckon. (From what we've seen)
Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna and Neville (Because they were the elite at the DA)
Neville? You're having a laugh right? him? elite?

Originally posted by Lana
Saying Flitwick's among the top is very reasonable, actually. In Chamber of Secrets someone mentions that Flitwick used to be a duelling champion when he was younger. Sure, he's probably past his prime now, but still likely very talented and good at duelling.
Plus he's a Charms professor; which is probably the purest magic in duels... (Well, that and curses.)

Last edited by §P0oONY on Aug 4th, 2007 at 08:40 PM

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 08:37 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

Molly, she swears whilst dueling laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 08:45 PM
steverules is currently offline Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by miss_swann
In my opinion:

Sirius

I agree yes

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 09:46 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote