KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Rated & Unrated Versions

Rated & Unrated Versions
Started by: Wolfie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Rated & Unrated Versions

Have we yet reached the point where if a DVD release doesn't include an unrated version, it isn't a movie worth watching? It seems like every release now is released in its theatrical rated version and its special unrated version. And are those extra seven minutes really worth releasing two editions at the same time?

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 05:53 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

Re: Rated & Unrated Versions

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wolfie
Have we yet reached the point where if a DVD release doesn't include an unrated version, it isn't a movie worth watching? It seems like every release now is released in its theatrical rated version and its special unrated version. And are those extra seven minutes really worth releasing two editions at the same time?

Yeah I know what you mean. It's a total rort when they release to DVDs like that. I like it when they release both version on the Same DVD set.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 06:15 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I usually got the Unrated versions of movies, which are almost Horror films. The teeny bopper American Pie unrated bullshit is just more of what I dislike about the movie anyway.

As of late, the Unrated versions also have exclusive material in the bonus features.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 06:47 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Yeah, these typically are horror movies but they really cover all genres.

Check out the cover for the unrated version of The 40 Year-Old Virgin. "Unrated: Now lasts 17 minutes longer". It just sounds like a joke to me. As if 17 minutes is going to make all the difference.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 07:19 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

17 minutes in that film would just make it cruder, which is hard to believe. There was so much near misogyny in that film, that's what made me dislike it in the first place.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 07:50 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cringe
douche.

I can hardly tell the difference in a movie. Whenever I watch an UNRATED movie I'm always trying to find just what exactly was too explicit for theaters erm

I'm in desperate need of some PSP assistance. Anyone thats VERY good with one please PM me. I have some questions.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 08:00 AM
Cringe is currently offline Click here to Send Cringe a Private Message Find more posts by Cringe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
17 minutes in that film would just make it cruder, which is hard to believe. There was so much near misogyny in that film, that's what made me dislike it in the first place.

I think unrated versions worth making would have to add at least a half hour or close to it. 17 minutes is so insignificant, I'm surprised they would openly advertise it on the cover.

I usually get the unrated versions because the additions are always so insignificant, why not? And as you said, the distributors tend to make the rated version less desirable to own.

Originally posted by Cringe
I can hardly tell the difference in a movie. Whenever I watch an UNRATED movie I'm always trying to find just what exactly was too explicit for theaters erm

Badder Santa: The Unrated Version with the whopping ONE EXTRA SCENE! Plus seconds of new dialogue!

Apparently, from what I found, what was too explicit for theaters was Billy Bob Thornton stealing a car and walking around a house. Oh yes, and the word "shit" in a cop's dialogue.

Last edited by Wolfie on Oct 27th, 2005 at 06:45 PM

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 06:40 PM
thomasgeorge
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah american pie uncut even know i love it is just like 4 mins diffrent

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2005 08:20 PM
thomasgeorge is currently offline Click here to Send thomasgeorge a Private Message Find more posts by thomasgeorge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Chaos
I usually got the Unrated versions of movies, which are almost Horror films.
Same with me...... I dont like censorship!!

I got 2 movies and I didnt know when I ordered them if it would be UNRATED or R as it didnt say on the tape box on amazon..

1) Caged Fury (1989) - This one DID say NON RATED and I was happy as this is the one I saw on TV....

2) Class of 1999 (1989) - I didnt know which this would be as it didnt say.... I WAS CERTAINLY GLAD IT WAS UNRATED! (Version I saw on TV)

Old Post Oct 21st, 2015 07:06 AM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

The unrated version of Dumb & Dumber is not as good as the original. Sometimes things are cut for a good reason... because it simply isn't funny.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2015 11:03 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Yes thats quite true!!!!!!

The shorter versions of THE SHINING (1980) are better than the full 144 Min one!! (More suspenseful,not as much is revealed)

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2015 03:01 AM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Cringe

For marketing purposes "UnRated" has a double meaning. We quickly assume it means more explicit & graphic scenes & language.

However it can basically just simply mean that that version was un-rated, as in it was never reviewed by critics.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2016 12:38 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wicker_man
V.2

I'm still waiting for region 2 release of Nightbreed: The Directors Cut. So much so I am tempted to set up a Twitter account to tweet Clive Barker.

That's NUMBERWANG!!!

Old Post Aug 4th, 2016 07:59 PM
wicker_man is currently offline Click here to Send wicker_man a Private Message Find more posts by wicker_man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simong

I always like to see the unrated version. No matter how much longer it is I want to see the full uncut version wherever I can.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 02:58 PM
Simong is currently offline Click here to Send Simong a Private Message Find more posts by Simong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote