KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Makes we wonder as well are DVD's as waste.

Makes we wonder as well are DVD's as waste.
Started by: P-Geyser

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Makes we wonder as well are DVD's as waste.

That post on DVD's being a waste of money really had me thinking. Sh!t my complaint of this though has to deal with the blu rays being out. I am not sure(did not check)if this has been mentioned. I hate the fact that blu rays now have all of the exclusives, interviews everything while the DVD may or may not have the directors commentary and thats it.

I was so burnt with The release of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on DVD which was real sh!tty...then on the Blu Ray version, so many "easter eggs" and everything. Another gripe is I tend to buy certain wrestling DVD's and The Rock's new dvd is one of them. So much was left out on the DVD that was nicley packaged for the blu ray.

Yeah I agree in which someone said that DVD's are slowly walking the plank on the ship. Problem is I have so many DVD's and can't put money into a blu ray right now. So yeah everytime I see a new DVD out on the shelves, makes me also think why bother....can you imagine when The Avengers makes it's way out?

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2012 02:29 AM
P-Geyser is currently offline Click here to Send P-Geyser a Private Message Find more posts by P-Geyser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Hope Dvd's aren't on its way out, So many movies/tv shows haven't been released on dvd

and **** re-buying all the movies again.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2012 07:11 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Re: Makes we wonder as well are DVD's as waste.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by P-Geyser

I was so burnt with The release of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on DVD which was real sh!tty...then on the Blu Ray version, so many "easter eggs" and everything. Another gripe is I tend to buy certain wrestling DVD's and The Rock's new dvd is one of them. So much was left out on the DVD that was nicley packaged for the blu ray.

[/B]

But that's the entire point of Blu-rays...to be able to fit more data onto one disc.

Another example is I've got Peter Jackson's King Kong on dvd.
It's a 3 dvd set. The movie is broken up over 2 discs to fit the added footage of deleted scenes & the 3 rd disc is purely "behind the scenes."
On the blu-ray version all this fits onto one disc, plus the added advantage of better picture & sound quality.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2012 07:43 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Re: Re: Makes we wonder as well are DVD's as waste.

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
But that's the entire point of Blu-rays...to be able to fit more data onto one disc.

Another example is I've got Peter Jackson's King Kong on dvd.
It's a 3 dvd set. The movie is broken up over 2 discs to fit the added footage of deleted scenes & the 3 rd disc is purely "behind the scenes."
On the blu-ray version all this fits onto one disc, plus the added advantage of better picture & sound quality.

I understand that. I would rather have a 3 disc set, than a sh!tty made dvd with just the directors commentary. They are not trying with DVD's anymore and if thats the case, why don't they just dissapear.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 03:49 AM
P-Geyser is currently offline Click here to Send P-Geyser a Private Message Find more posts by P-Geyser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Because not everybody wants or needs or is the least bit interested in director's commentary or what goes on behind the scenes of a movie.
These people are more than happy to buy the dvd version just for the main feature itself.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 04:16 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Than that just plain sucks harder than Jenna Jameson. Cause I like the all that stuff, behind scences, cast interviews etc. Well thats the audience that DVD's are targeting nowadays and thats a shame.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 11:24 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Than that just plain sucks harder than Jenna Jameson. Cause I like the all that stuff, behind scences, cast interviews etc. Well thats the audience that DVD's are targeting nowadays and thats a shame.

The thing I don't understand...isn't blu-ray movies & players pretty cheap in America these days compared to other countries?

I mean here in Australia, an average music cd is around $25, dvd movies are about $30 (new release) & blu-rays are around $45 (new release). Obviously all these come down in price over time.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 04:37 AM
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

The thing I don't understand...isn't blu-ray movies & players pretty cheap in America these days compared to other countries?

I mean here in Australia, an average music cd is around $25, dvd movies are about $30 (new release) & blu-rays are around $45 (new release). Obviously all these come down in price over time.

My friend told me Blu Rays will be getting affordable soon. Not really sure I need to check for myself. I do know that here in the states at stores like Best Buy, DVD's now go for like $14 and change while the Blu Ray's go for $24...plus change.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2012 07:30 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Well if Blu-rays are cheaper where you are compared to here in Australia...then why all the fuss?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 08:30 AM
mkt07

I don't think so we require director's commentary on dvd we see movies on the dvd mainly for pleasure and entertainment.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 10:01 AM
mkt07 is currently offline Click here to Send mkt07 a Private Message Find more posts by mkt07 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Well if Blu-rays are cheaper where you are compared to here in Australia...then why all the fuss?

I said that I was not sure if they were cheap..I recall stating that.

Originally posted by mkt07
I don't think so we require director's commentary on dvd we see movies on the dvd mainly for pleasure and entertainment.

Honestly I could give a rats a$$ about the director's commentary. Though I like seeing features and all that stuff and I know I am not the only one.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2012 03:20 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I said that I was not sure if they were cheap..I recall stating that.

Sorry but you kinda make me wonder if you're allowed out of the house at all?

Ever been to a shop like Walmart that sells blu-rays & dvds?

You obviously have internet access so it's pretty straight forward to find out the cost of things.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 06:34 AM
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Sorry but you kinda make me wonder if you're allowed out of the house at all?

Ever been to a shop like Walmart that sells blu-rays & dvds?

You obviously have internet access so it's pretty straight forward to find out the cost of things.

Wow that first part was REALLY FUNNY MATE...actually no it's not.

No I have not been to Walmart, cause there is not a Walmart around where I live. I have been to Target and the last time I was there, the prices were pretty costly.

Yes I have internet access and it is cheeper to buy online, but I have other commitments than buying a blu ray player as of now, so is that okay with you?

Old Post Aug 13th, 2012 02:14 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Dude....sooory!

I just found it curious you turned to a message board to find out the cost of blu-rays rather than walk into a shop & judge yourself.

From my point of view, living in Australia, we're paying about double the cost it is in America. That goes for cd's, dvds & PS3, XBox & Ninetendo games as well.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2012 06:15 AM
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Dude....sooory!

I just found it curious you turned to a message board to find out the cost of blu-rays rather than walk into a shop & judge yourself.

From my point of view, living in Australia, we're paying about double the cost it is in America. That goes for cd's, dvds & PS3, XBox & Ninetendo games as well.

Look bro no need to apoligize. I just wish they would not give dvd's the boot just quite yet. Damn it seems in Australia, you have to pay an arm a leg and a torso.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 04:29 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Damn it seems in Australia, you have to pay an arm a leg and a torso. [/B]

What p*sses me of more is that I run my own business.
Which means not only do I have to pay to buy cds BUT I have to pay for 2 licences a year to play them in a "public venue."

What infuriates me is that these fees are s'pposed to go as royalties to artists in the Top 20 charts & yet none of the music I listen to are in the top 20.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2012 05:51 AM
G Morrow

I mainly buy TV shows on DVD now (cheaper than blu a lot of the time, assuming they even get a blu release -- Community, American Dad, et al), but when I do buy a movie these days it's because it's... well, disposable, I guess. I bought Dog Soldiers and Wind Chill for five bucks a piece the other day because I wanted to see a good horror movie and went in cold with both. When I buy a blu-ray it's because I want the high-quality picture and sound and something that I can hold onto for the long-term (such as it is with home entertainment).

Have a good day.
G Morrow

Old Post Oct 4th, 2012 10:57 PM
G Morrow is currently offline Click here to Send G Morrow a Private Message Find more posts by G Morrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joker1237

Pick up I think a 1990's version of Hamlet that had the late Robin Williams in(Not a main star in this one)

The blue ray fit the entire movie on one disc, and the dvd made up 2 disk I think. I do know this is the longest film version of Hamlet.

Have a laugh evey now and than.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2017 04:52 AM
Joker1237 is currently offline Click here to Send Joker1237 a Private Message Find more posts by Joker1237 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
heathjack

well i think some dvds are waste of money!! cause if you wait while then you can buy then cheaper on blu ray!! now blu rays are coming down!! i recently brought 4 blu rays for at $4 bucks an peace at target!! they had like whole shelf full of 4k blu rays!! now i think in year or 2 there probably wont be any blu rays!! but the 4k blu rays coast $25 to $30 bucks an peace!! im not going to start over with blu rays then you got to buy 4k blu ray player then an smart tv!! but i don't even think 4k blu ray players plays dvds!! but thats why im not going to buy me an new game system cause then it coast $500 hunderd dollars then you got to start over with video games they coast $60 bucks an peace!! then now you got to buy an smart tv for the graphics to look real looking!! im not much of an gamer like i used to be!! im just sticking to regular blu rays!! i try not to get dvds unless there not on blu ray yet!!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2017 02:32 AM
heathjack is currently offline Click here to Send heathjack a Private Message Find more posts by heathjack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote