KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Organic webbing (NOT a rant)

Organic webbing (NOT a rant)
Started by: Red Superfly

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Organic webbing (NOT a rant)

OK, we've been through this organic/webshhoter thing a million times. Those that hated the idea, STILL hate it, and those that like the idea, STILL like it.

Most of you know my position on the whole organic webbing thing by now. When I first came here, I actually agreed that the organics were bad in terms of story. Everybody was under the assumption that organic webbing was BETTER than the webshooters (in terms of a superpower, not the idea). Everybody assumed Peter had an infinite amount of webbing all of a sudden, and would mean the end of the "oh no, out of webbing" storyline twists that Spider-Man fans love so much.

As I thought about this more and more, it became pretty obvious that having organic webbing would pose as many problems as having the web-shooters, and would create just as many interesting twists in the stories and battles.

Seeing as Spider-Man is so heavily steeped in sci-fi and "logic", it would make sense that biologically, Peter simply couldn't hold an infinite amount of webbing in his arms (lest his arms looked like Popeye's), and I thought it would be comparable to any other bodily fluid.

Think of it like spit. You can spit for a while, but not contantly. You need time for your glands to create more spit, and as long as you drink and eat, you'll always create more. It makes sense for this to be in the same manner that Pete creates his webbing, as it's exactly how Spiders make their webbing. It also means organics do not equal infinity. He would need a lot of pressure to fire his webbing great distances, and would therefore need a lot stored in back-supply to create such pressure. This means he couldn't just stand there and fire his webbing all day, it would run out pretty quickly (think spit again).

This got me thinking yet again, sometimes Pete's gonna have his ass handed to him. In the past, when Pete was beaten, his web shooters would malfunction or get damaged - whos to say his own fatigue would

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 08:21 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

cont.

create the same problem? Being run down, and weathered, Pete's body would also be exhausted, causing his webbing to either dry up, or become weak and inconsistent. This would create as many "Oh no, out of webbing" issues as the writer sees fit.

So, in all, if we think about organic webbing, it actually makes sense, in any case you throw out.

"But he can't mix things into his webbing to defeat guys like Hydro Man and Electro!"

Um, he could still create and use the webshooters to fight these villains. Having a mix of both organics and the web shooters would be brilliant I must admit.

Organics are not a sin. They don't harm the story, and for someone interested in biology and science fiction such as myself, it's fascinating yet just as realistic (and yes, it's a mere coincidence those web shooters appeared conveniently on his wrists - who cares?).

I like organics. I have'em all worked out I guess, and I'm safe in the knowledge that they pose as many storyline effects as the webshooters ever did. 'Nuff said.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 08:28 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

I wish I could ask Stan Lee why he decided spider-man would have to make his own web fluid. People were probably wondering about that back in 1962 as well. who knows? I have no doubt there was endless discussions during the pre production of the movie.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 08:32 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

He made his own webbing because Stan Lee thought it would be cool to tap into the "chemistry set craze" which was a big thing at the time of when he was coming up with Spidey.

I'm sure if Stan Lee were to make it today, how Pete fired his webbing would be a lot different because chemistry sets are dead and buried.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 08:41 PM
Red Superfly

I'd like to hear more from others if possible.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 09:09 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

that makes a lot of sense, but i didn't really care if the web was shot organically or out of the shooters, i liked 'em both!

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 09:09 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

A well-thought out, non-crappy, non-spaztic post. Hooray?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 09:11 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marcellus
executioner

Red Superfly should be famous for great post's. he has a crap load.

well thought out explaination RS thumb up

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 09:13 PM
Marcellus is currently offline Click here to Send Marcellus a Private Message Find more posts by Marcellus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

I was getting sick of all the crap being spammed onto the forum by certain individuals who shall remain nameless.

It was time to take the limelight from the fanboy one-sentence threads talking about who would be able to beat whom and so on. Those vs. topics are a waste of time.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 09:16 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ghetto Goblin? He has a lot of spam.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 09:24 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhino
Red is the new black

people get over it. the movie is only an interpretation of the comic, ofcourse plus organics is cooler. if scientists cant create a strong web fluid, do u think a high skool kid can???obviously not

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 10:04 PM
Rhino is currently offline Click here to Send Rhino a Private Message Find more posts by Rhino Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ghetto Goblin
Elder Member

Now listen up, i like organic webbing, and if any of you already said what i am about to tough luck, i didn't even read all of the first post.
what is the point of being spiderman if your only power was super strength and wall-crawling. it needs more. and more he got, a.k.a. organic webbing. LIKE SPIDERS DO DUH.

...Tomorrow could be the best day of your life...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 10:15 PM
Ghetto Goblin is currently offline Click here to Send Ghetto Goblin a Private Message Find more posts by Ghetto Goblin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

RS has a good theory but i like the inorganic webbing better...to me the inorganic webbing shows how human spider-man is and how brilliant parker is...Parker is a brilliant kid who defeats alot of his enemies by outsmarting them....alot of that has been lost in the movies.. even in the last movie they downplayed how smart parker was...when inorganic webbing would run out spider-man would have to think faster and harder how to save his ass...i dont think you would see that with organinc webbing because there is always some type of fluid in you body....even when you have dry glands you can still produce your own spit but movie wise it probly was the smarter choice to go with organic webbing

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 11:17 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

at first. the idea of the organic web shooters seemed blasphemous. the best part about having the mechanical shooters, IMO. is that he runs out, and he can totally have his "a$$ handed to him". also the concept of having infinite webbing came along with that. how could he be THE spider-man we grew up with if he always had his webbing? the spider-man we grew up with always had the problem of being empty in the middle of a fight.

spider-man 2 redeemed the organic web shooter concept. as explained by RS, he could go empty when he gets fatigued or stressed... but RS explained it way better (i suggest our members read it eve if it seems long... why? it makes a sh!tload of sense).

Old Post Jul 12th, 2004 11:38 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silence

I am not that sure about this but don’t spiders run out of web. Spiderman should change through the years and obviously now they like the organic webbing because its more spider like.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 12:11 AM
Silence is currently offline Click here to Send Silence a Private Message Find more posts by Silence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

quote:
Originally posted by Rhino
people get over it. the movie is only an interpretation of the comic, ofcourse plus organics is cooler. if scientists cant create a strong web fluid, do u think a high skool kid can???obviously not

and yeah like someone is going to be able to somehow miraculously get the powers of a spider from a bite of a genetically altered spider and somehow be able to cling to walls,have super strength,a spider sense that warns him of danger before it happens,ect all from a spiderbite? THATS acceptable but a kid genius doing something scientists cant isnt? .what kind of logic is that? geez. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 12:13 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

yeah i know...its a comic book...

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 01:35 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spiderman_RJ

why u started this again? aaaaaaaafffffff
parker is so supergenius that becouse of the apearence, i though he was reed richards son untill secret or untold histories come up,i stoped belieiving when his fatheres came back but later on as they were robots i stoped again

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 01:45 AM
Spiderman_RJ is currently offline Click here to Send Spiderman_RJ a Private Message Find more posts by Spiderman_RJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
badsymbiote
AMERICA EATS ITS YOUNG

True, Silence, that spiders don't run out of webbing as a general rule, however, they simply cannot spin all of the time. They need food to sustain themselves-like any creature. Many females who spin webs to prtect their egg sacs do so as their last living act. If anyone can understand the exhaustion resulting from being a parent, it is I. It's a pity that the spiders do not get to see the end result of their efforts--yet the instinct to protect them remains.

Anyhow--both Superfly anf wuTa provide compelling arguements. Any true Spidey fan knows full well the power of his intellect--and therefore, to them, the concept of inventing and using web-shooters is not that difficult to grasp. If a kid has the will and ability to solve quaderatic equations and gives a crap about biophysics, his abilties are only limited by his imagination. I felt Spidey2 really didn't showcase Parker's intelligence, but agree that it really didn't need to per se, since it was already alluded to in the first movie.
The use of organic web shooters in the movie did also provide that fascinating slant depicting the stress and strain of being a superhero among a largely thankless society. I could, of course, go into more detail here, but I would basically just be reiterating what Superfly already said. So, if you didn't read the whole post 'cuz it seems too long, take the time and do so. If Stan Lee was that lazy, we wouldn't even have anything to discuss right now.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 01:49 AM
badsymbiote is currently offline Click here to Send badsymbiote a Private Message Find more posts by badsymbiote Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spiderman_RJ

wow discovery channel on spiderman forum

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 02:05 AM
Spiderman_RJ is currently offline Click here to Send Spiderman_RJ a Private Message Find more posts by Spiderman_RJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote