KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Arctic monkeys

Arctic monkeys
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

Arctic monkeys

british band

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4643436.stm
The Arctic Monkeys' album could become the fastest-selling debut album in recorded chart history, after selling more than 100,000 on its first day.

what do you think of them?

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 01:53 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

One word: "meh".

Their success is inspiring, their music is not.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 02:14 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

music aint too bad. they have some funky tunes.

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 02:18 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Quite possibly the worst band to come out in...well, ever.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 02:23 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

I can't help it but whenever I hear them I always think "meh".

I just can't fathom their success. Surely it's more about the principle of supporting a band through word-of-mouth and gigs, which I guess is really cool, but I can't help but feel like they are an undeserving band that just did their thing and the internet proppelled them into this mega-trendy thing that everyone "cool" and "hip" should know about.

It all seems to be more about their success and hype, as opposed to the actual music they make. They kinda bore the hell out of me.

They seem to be a band for "wannabes" that listen to this music, and then say to their peers "Yeah, I've got the Arctic Monkeys album, I'm cool and underground and a rebel, just like them in a mad way. I'm cool. So cool. Cool.".

Not only that, but literally everyone I know that loves them is either a tasteless moron or a complete arse-hen.

Last edited by Red Superfly on Jan 29th, 2006 at 02:33 PM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 02:27 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Such an extremely shit band.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 02:41 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Superfly
mega-trendy thing that everyone "cool" and "hip" should know about.

It all seems to be more about their success and hype, as opposed to the actual music they make. They kinda bore the hell out of me.

They seem to be a band for "wannabes" that listen to this music, and then say to their peers "Yeah, I've got the Arctic Monkeys album, I'm cool and underground and a rebel, just like them in a mad way. I'm cool. So cool. Cool.".

Not only that, but literally everyone I know that loves them is either a tasteless moron or a complete arse-hen.

NME Syndrome.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 02:43 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

has anyone seen the recent NME best ever british albums list?

Arctic Monkeys album is 5th... and Zepellin iv is 95...

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 03:08 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

they aint too bad. but i dont understand why there album is selling so quick

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 03:13 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Df02
has anyone seen the recent NME best ever british albums list?

Arctic Monkeys album is 5th... and Zepellin iv is 95...

I read that, such morons.

I genuinely wouldn't have Arctic Monkeys on any "Best" list.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 03:16 PM
Df02

another hilarious thing about that issue was...

"Fall Out Boy - the last great punk band?" hahaha

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 03:25 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aj333

A.M are okay but like arcade fire in U.S/Canada they are waay too name-checked

Cross your heart and hope to die doesn't mean much if you're already dead

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 03:35 PM
Aj333 is currently offline Click here to Send Aj333 a Private Message Find more posts by Aj333 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Arcade Fire are really good, though. Arctic Monkeys are shit, horribly shit. Even Jaden hates them and he and I often disagree over music like that.

Though I do hate that, when bands become name checkees. Death Cab, Sufjan, The Arcade Fire etc.

Originally posted by Df02
another hilarious thing about that issue was...

"Fall Out Boy - the last great punk band?" hahaha

TrendME.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 03:42 PM
Red Superfly

May I ask, in all innocence, what name-checking is?

I do not like this comparison of Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire. I love Arcade Fire. Their live performance literally blew me away, and I've constantly had their Funeral album in my CD player and on my mp3 playlist almost every day for the past nine months and I still love them. I listened to Arctic Monkeys twice before becoming seriously bored. Hardly a comparison.

The first I heard of them was a friend who downloaded "Haiti" ages ago and he played it at random on his computer. I said "who the hell is this it's brilliant!", calmly he said it was Arcade Fire, and I went out and bought the album that same day. Bit of a gamble, but it paid off. I didn't even need much convincing. With Arctic Monkeys, it's like "OK, everyone says I need to go buy this album, but I REALLY couldn't care less". They remind me a bit of Razorshit.....sorry, Razorlite, in that respect.

"Wow they use their regional accents", "oooh they're only 19". Big deal. I know a few bands that play in my local pub who are better, and they just do it as a "hobby" rather than professionally. They're like a runner up band from a battle of the bands school competition.

But yeah, "name checking"?

Last edited by Red Superfly on Jan 29th, 2006 at 04:23 PM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 04:19 PM
amity75

Intelligent lyrics unfortunately paired with substandard music. And they're celtic fans. So that makes me give them a resounding thumb down

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 04:21 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aj333

Originally posted by Red Superfly
May I ask, in all innocence, what name-checking is?

I do not like this comparison of Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire. I love Arcade Fire. Their live performance literally blew me away, and I've constantly had their Funeral album in my CD player and on my mp3 playlist almost every day for the past nine months and I still love them. I listened to Arctic Monkeys twice before becoming seriously bored. Hardly a comparison.

The first I heard of them was a friend who downloaded "Haiti" ages ago and he played it at random on his computer. I said "who the hell is this it's brilliant!", calmly he said it was Arcade Fire, and I went out and bought the album that same day. Bit of a gamble, but it paid off. I didn't even need much convincing. With Arctic Monkeys, it's like "OK, everyone says I need to go buy this album, but I REALLY couldn't care less". They remind me a bit of Razorshit.....sorry, Razorlite, in that respect.

"Wow they use their regional accents", "oooh they're only 19". Big deal. I know a few bands that play in my local pub who are better, and they just do it as a "hobby" rather than professionally. They're like a runner up band from a battle of the bands school competition.

But yeah, "name checking"?

I just mean that some people who don't even have the album say ooh *insert band name* is so great because they want to look cool!
but yeah the arcade fire are better then the artic monkeys
i just used that comparison because they are talked about a lot like the artic monkeys

Cross your heart and hope to die doesn't mean much if you're already dead

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 04:29 PM
Aj333 is currently offline Click here to Send Aj333 a Private Message Find more posts by Aj333 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Arcade Fire are a great band. Saw them live last year in Glasgow and was blown away.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 04:36 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not a fan of Arctic Monkeys.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 05:14 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by amity75
Intelligent lyrics unfortunately paired with substandard music. And they're celtic fans. So that makes me give them a resounding thumb down

"Ahh bet thaat yew look gewd on the dan-seflaw. Ah don't knoh if ya lookin' faw roman-se or..."

Yes, very intelligent.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jan 29th, 2006 at 05:29 PM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 05:24 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Meh is right.

Im not actually overly impressed, or impressed at all, for that matter.

It just...bored me, so yeah....not good in my opinion thumb down

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jan 29th, 2006 05:30 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote