KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Is Jimi Hendrix overrated as a guitarist?

Is Jimi Hendrix overrated as a guitarist?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Is Jimi Hendrix overrated as a guitarist?

Tons of people claim he's the best guitarist ever.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 18th, 2019 04:32 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

In actual technical ability in the modern era? Absolutely. Technical ability in his own era? Not positive, but probably not.

Influence? No, he's one of if not the most influential guitarists to ever play.

Is his music better than every other guitarists? A subjective question, there's more to musical than raw technical skill. Is his guitar music the best ever for me? No, not at all.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2019 07:28 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
In actual technical ability in the modern era? Absolutely. Technical ability in his own era? Not positive, but probably not.

Influence? No, he's one of if not the most influential guitarists to ever play.

Is his music better than every other guitarists? A subjective question, there's more to musical than raw technical skill. Is his guitar music the best ever for me? No, not at all.
How would you pit Jimi against Eric Clapton?

Old Post Apr 18th, 2019 09:18 PM
P-Geyser is currently offline Click here to Send P-Geyser a Private Message Find more posts by P-Geyser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by P-Geyser

Old Post Apr 18th, 2019 10:18 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

My uncle said George Harrison was one of the best as well.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2019 07:47 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Is Jimi Hendrix overrated as a guitarist?

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Tons of people claim he's the best guitarist ever.
No./end

Old Post Apr 19th, 2019 10:16 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

It was an entirely different era. At that time he was the best. Today? He's still relevant, but most certainly not the best of all time. However, if you were to remove present day technology that present day guitarists use, and give them Jimmy's older raw technology, many would fail to produce what he could.

Just something to ponder about before kicking his back in.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2019 04:15 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by P-Geyser
Honestly not knowledgeable enough on either to make a comparison. Jimi is I believe the more influential guitarist, though Clapton I think comes in second place for his era and possibly in general. Jimi's guitar tricks during live performances also made him way more exciting than Clapton. On a purely technical level? I honestly could not begin to guess. I'm not a guitarist myself and like I said not super knowledgeable on either, and the difference isn't staggering enough for me to clearly say.

I think I overall prefer Hendrix's guitar work though, though I honestly if anything generally prefer Clapton's songs from what I've heard.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2019 04:58 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Is the guitar solo at the beginning of the song "Through the fire and the flames" by "Dragonforce" as impressive as it sounds?

I always imagined it was an incredibly tough solo to pull off, but people keep telling me its good, but not great or super hard to pull off.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2019 05:01 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Is the guitar solo at the beginning of the song "Through the fire and the flames" by "Dragonforce" as impressive as it sounds?

I always imagined it was an incredibly tough solo to pull off, but people keep telling me its good, but not great or super hard to pull off.
Does anyone really overrated Dragonforce anymore? Guitar Hero 3 came out twelve years ago lmao.

And yeah that's kind of accurate I think. It's pretty fast and long but it's just fairly standard tremolo picking I think, so if you have practiced to get the speed right and have the stamina it is manageable.

A solo like this for example I think is a lot harder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShV....be&t=5m12s

I could be wrong though. Any guitarists still here on the forum? We had a few a while back but that was a long time ago.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2019 05:38 AM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Through the fire and flames is more difficult on guitar hero on expert than it is to actually play on guitar.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2019 07:25 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Honestly not knowledgeable enough on either to make a comparison. Jimi is I believe the more influential guitarist, though Clapton I think comes in second place for his era and possibly in general. Jimi's guitar tricks during live performances also made him way more exciting than Clapton. On a purely technical level? I honestly could not begin to guess. I'm not a guitarist myself and like I said not super knowledgeable on either, and the difference isn't staggering enough for me to clearly say.

I think I overall prefer Hendrix's guitar work though, though I honestly if anything generally prefer Clapton's songs from what I've heard.
Ah thanks. I love Clapton's old band "Cream" "White Room" is one of my faves.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 08:06 PM
P-Geyser is currently offline Click here to Send P-Geyser a Private Message Find more posts by P-Geyser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
P-Geyser
Saraya-Jade Maniac

Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Holy Sh!t....thanks.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2019 08:08 PM
Jmanghan

Does anyone really overrated Dragonforce anymore? Guitar Hero 3 came out twelve years ago lmao.

And yeah that's kind of accurate I think. It's pretty fast and long but it's just fairly standard tremolo picking I think, so if you have practiced to get the speed right and have the stamina it is manageable.

A solo like this for example I think is a lot harder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShV....be&t=5m12s

I could be wrong though. Any guitarists still here on the forum? We had a few a while back but that was a long time ago.

Just re-read this, twelve years ago holy shit man.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2019 06:11 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Jimi is most definitely not overrated. However, he's not my favourite guitarist to listen to, because it's exhausting! If you want to let your hair down and set your mind free, there are few better, though.

My favourite guitarist to listen to is probably Mark Knopfler, simply because I prefer his style. Great music to listen to or just have on in the background. For tapping my toes Shakey Graves is probably my Nr. 1 guy at the moment.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2019 06:57 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I really like the guitar aspects of Jimi's music, purple haze was great, I like it a lot more then "all along the watchtower", but man his voice is NOT for me, lol.

It's not that he's a bad singer at all, that isn't the case, but I just don't enjoy his singing voice.

Old Post May 1st, 2019 03:44 AM
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hendrix revolutionized guitar music as a whole. Is he as technically innovate as others after him? Probably not, but he’s easily more influential. My favorite guitarists are Buckethead and Adam Jones.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post May 2nd, 2019 08:02 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Jimi is most definitely not overrated. However, he's not my favourite guitarist to listen to, because it's exhausting! If you want to let your hair down and set your mind free, there are few better, though.

My favourite guitarist to listen to is probably Mark Knopfler, simply because I prefer his style. Great music to listen to or just have on in the background. For tapping my toes Shakey Graves is probably my Nr. 1 guy at the moment.

thumb up

Knopfler has a really graceful and laid back style of playing. Perfect for enjoying a day of whiskey and sun.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post May 27th, 2019 06:20 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Jimi rox!!!!!!!!

He is one of the best smile

Old Post Jul 4th, 2019 02:57 PM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by Dreampanther

Glad somebody mentioned Knopfler in this thread. Not my favourite artist by any means but his guitar work is phenomenal.

Hendrix basically invented thrash metal though.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Jul 11th, 2019 03:32 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote