KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » A jedi council on earth no less!

A jedi council on earth no less!
Started by: Bo-Eee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bo-Eee

A jedi council on earth no less!

I've just bought the recent edition of "Starlog" where i read, that some want the religion of "Jedi" to be recognised here on this planet as a christian/islamic religion.

In order to do this there must be 10,000 believers to make this happen, so their aim is to email everyone into doing so by stating "Jedi" on their census forms under the religion section!

Whatever next??

Lightsabres at dawn!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2001 05:45 PM
Click here to Send Bo-Eee a Private Message Find more posts by Bo-Eee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

don't know if it's in the right section,
but I have to say that http://www.swmovies.net has somewhere an article on this...

it won't make a religion (there was a whole part about that wich I didn't got that one right)

Old Post Nov 12th, 2001 05:51 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

As numerous threads have described, the whole idea is nonsense and based on an erroenous grounding.

My advice is to forget about it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 12th, 2001 06:29 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

It is kind of EU related so I let it pass. Now it is pathetic thought though, jedi as a religion. Just as pathetic as the other religions JMHO

Old Post Nov 12th, 2001 10:52 PM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

And Christianity, I mean as if thats ever gonna be reconised eh? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 14th, 2001 10:39 AM
Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bo-Eee

L O L its better staying as it is, religion is just a load of balony which causes too many deaths and divorces lol

Old Post Nov 21st, 2001 01:21 AM
Click here to Send Bo-Eee a Private Message Find more posts by Bo-Eee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Hey...some people happen to like religion. Star Wars is an obsession of mine, but Christianity is a large part of my life as well.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 04:36 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There's no problerm with that. But really, the whole 'Make Jedi a religion' thing was dreadful trivialisation, and people thinking they were clever when they weren't. And it was also utterly, utterly flawed.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 06:30 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
And it was also utterly, utterly flawed.

I can think of other uterly flawed things, but people just get insulted if I speak my mind.

Anyways I wonder what kind of necklesses they make out of a jedi religion? stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 10:01 PM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

A jedi religion...hmmm... a bit much i think.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 10:19 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I didn't actually mean that as a religion it was flawed... though it WAS... what I meant was that the idea that you could use the census to make it a religion was flawed.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 10:28 PM
Julie
The Student

As a religion I do believe that it is flawed....feel free to disagree.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 10:34 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Seeing as I just said that it was, I am unlikely to disagree.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 10:52 PM
Julie
The Student

good....i'm glad

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 11:07 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Good! Then so am I.

Just to explain to people... again... the mistake here was that someone got it into his head that if enough people put 'Jedi' down on their census form then the government would be forced to recognise it as a religion. He thought this was cool, and the idea spread.

But the originator(s?) was mistaken. No matter what, the census CANNOT make a new religion. They simply do not have that authority. What actually happens, if enough people give an asnwer, is that it gets a number given to it, because it has become an officially recognised answer to that question. The numbers are used for administration.

Being an official answer to the census is SUCH a long way from being a legal and recognised religion... it;s almost breathtaking that people thought that was all they needed to do!

Interestingly, it's illegal to lie to the UK census. EXCEPT with the religion question. Hmm.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 29th, 2001 11:15 PM
finti

quote:
legal and recognised religion

who deceide this? just because the other belives have existed for some years it is ok.(Not that I think they should make jedi a religion) but still I wonder.
Is the old Norse mythology considered a religion. If not it is kind of discriminating.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2001 07:43 AM
Julie
The Student

How do you define a religion? What's the difference b/t religion and cult? How do you seperate the believer from the heretic? ....just a few questions to think on.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2001 03:44 AM
Ratcat

Saved me saying this YET AGAIN!!!

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2001 05:52 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

say what again?

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2001 09:02 PM
Julie
The Student

Yeah, what are you talking about?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2001 10:18 PM