KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What real-world sword fight/s is practically the same as a lightsaber duel.

What real-world sword fight/s is practically the same as a lightsaber duel.
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

What real-world sword fight/s is practically the same as a lightsaber duel.

I always wanted to know this. I think it's a combination of many but which real-world sword fight is the closest.

To me, the way C. Dooku fights looks like fencing with the way he so awesomely does it with one hand against Obi Wan and Anakin in Ep.3

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:39 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Dooku's style is based on Spanish fencing, somewhat. It was altered last minute.

The OT battles were based on kendo and some broadsword techniques.

PT battles combine more Chinese flashiness with unrealistic sword-fighting mistakes like spinning, flipping, casual sword twirls, etc. For weapons that have almost no weight the Jedi always full swing them when instead they could be fighting almost completely with their wrists. (Imagine fencing or fighting with a flashlight with a weightless blade, and that's it. Half of those strikes make no sense, because there isn't enough weight behind a lightsaber to stagger an opponent and break his guard; instead the fights should all be faster and more efficient.)

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:43 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

Whats the point?

They all sense eachothers moves. Its a matter of pure technique when its a Jedi vs Sith. Who is the first to make a mistake will be the first to die.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 03:45 PM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Uh, the point is that the way they fight now is ridiculously telegraphed even for non-Force sensitives. The greatest duel in the series (Obi-Wan versus Anakin) was the fastest (Arguably... Dooku versus Yoda was also fast) and was still horribly pretentious and unrealistic. Now, forgive me for wanting a movie where swordfights are realistic (Tristan in King Arthur perhaps best honors this) but if you're gonna have flashlight handles with light blades on them, have them move like it. Jedi fighting should be a combination of blurred movement and precise strike, parry, etc. etc. Not a bunch of kung fu spinning and flipping and the same two handed strikes over and over again. (Really, any real swordsman who was the master of the lightsaber would not need to use two hands. Of the group, Dooku and Exar Kun best emphasized this.)

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 04:00 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tru_Slice
Pun not included

It says that in ANH, Obi-Wan imitated the kensai-fighting style of the Samurai, while Darth Vader used no style at all, just randomly raising his saber and blocking and swiping.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:11 PM
Click here to Send Tru_Slice a Private Message Find more posts by Tru_Slice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I think they used the I've Got A Wooden Fragile Prop style myself. That fight was worse than two four year olds duking it out with spoons.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:15 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I STRONGLY disagree with the analysis that the moves are telegraphed. In fact, that strikes me as totally ridiculous. The fights in the PT are very carefully designed.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:38 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

They seem silly to moi, like a bunch of flashy crap trying to divert the audiences attention from the poor quality of the PT movies themsleves.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 05:53 PM
Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Really? And when Qui-Gon Jinn does a complete turn before extending his lightsaber to swing at Maul... that's not horribly telegraphed? And when two combatants raise their swords above their heads and exchange meaningless blows... And then the whole needing to hands to do grazing blows at point blank range... Oh, and don't get me started on Sidious and his HORRIBLY obvious stabs.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:14 PM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

I think the style of a lightsaber will be very different of other real swords since a lightsaber can cut to every side. Certainly real life swords styles depend on if they cut only in one side or two, like for example, a katana which cuts only in one side, and because of this its style is very different from a longsword for example.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:14 PM
Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

All the more reason for the fighting styles to be less open and more precise. Dooku's style works best because it utlizes mostly one hand and thrusts and stabs as opposed to chops which are something one does with a one-edged blade.

I would think that lightsaber fighting would be incredibly dynamic because of the possibilities such a blade offers, but that's not the case in-movie.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:39 PM
overlord
OD'd

Yeah I never found Ataru effective either, just cool to watch.
Makashi is probably the best.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:46 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I found Ataru horribly wasteful. I don't like it at all. Yoda spins and flips like a top and the most he achieves is being annoying to hit. It doesn't give him much of a saber advantage. Qui-Gon just looked like a fool spinning like a top. And when Maul actually counterattacked, Qui pushed back on his heels and at a loss for a good defense.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:49 PM
Swirly Girl
Antediluvian

Same in KotOR II. That horrible flurry move where the character does a twirl then hits them. Why!? You would get cut in half!

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:08 PM
Click here to Send Swirly Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Swirly Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I want to feel embarssed for Niam when he does the spinning slash in that hallway.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:10 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

With a lightsaber, no matter where you touch it, your gonna lose some skin. That being, the whole blade is dangerous, there's no one sharp edge.

With that, the wielder should be able to do anything with the blade. Really, any combo. or style. It doesn't matter where they hit because it'll do damage. So with that in mind, any style the Jedi pick are dangerous.

It's just the fact that they're Jedi. No matter waht move you make your opponent sees it before hand. So with their speed it goes from one attack to another, (same with blocks) again and again and again. Until one of them f*cks up and makes a mistake.

Quiggy's twirling and the little "lightsaber twirling contest" Obi-Wan and Vader had in ROTS, in the control room, were just horrible though.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 11:09 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tru_Slice
Pun not included

Remeber that the style of REAL sword fighting is based on the strength and shape of the sword.

Fencing swords are light and sharp and thin, hence making it easier to handle, but not as strong.

Broadswords or big and heavy, and the attacks tend to be either hit or miss.

Katanas are very strong, but the shape of them only allows for short reach.

Lightsabers are indestructable, have good reach, and weigh nothing.

How would you fight?

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 12:36 AM
Click here to Send Tru_Slice a Private Message Find more posts by Tru_Slice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brit
Duchess

It is easy to stab and slash with a lightsaber, whereas there are usually swords designed to stab (fencing swords, rapiers, etc.) and slash (broadswords, katanas, etc.)

Not really that easy to compare fighting styles to real ones. They were all choreographed, rather than training the actors how to fight with real styles, which they would need years of training to do. Like, decades.

Punch your lights out, hit the pavement
That's what I call entertainment
Causing problems makes you famous
All the silence makes a statement

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 12:49 AM
Click here to Send Brit a Private Message Find more posts by Brit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

That's true. In any case, I've heard tell that Soresu is basically made up from Ewan's use of the blade.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 01:55 AM
Lucius
Unknown

The fights were cool to watch but like Deus Ex said...unrealistic.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 02:12 AM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote