KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Writing Aspirations

Writing Aspirations
Started by: Greyrobes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Greyrobes

Writing Aspirations

I have the ambition to become a professional Star Wars novelist, because of my love of the movies and their deep philosophies. I'm 18 years old now, living in Sweden, and have already written an amateur short-story trilogy, set in the KotOR era (very average stuff). But now I want to become serious with this. I'm very confused on how it all works; what is allowed, what is disallowed, and so forth. My vision is to write a trilogy set some thousand years after the time of Exar Kun, involving a new conflict between Jedi and Sith, as well as the disillusion therein. But what is permitted? I know I have to go through Lucas to get anything Star Wars published, but is it allowed to write about such times where no comic book, no video game, no other novelist, or any Lucas-related thought has gone? Or do I have to keep myself to the New Republic, Prequel Trilogy etc. ?

Mmm'kay?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 11:34 AM
Click here to Send Greyrobes a Private Message Find more posts by Greyrobes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

If you ever want to work for LucasArts you've gotta establish yourself as a writer first - Lucas would never allow anything that has a risk factor to have a chance these days.

Get sending those drafts away to publishers and see if you get any feedback.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 11:44 AM
Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starwarsfreak34
Grand Admiral

yeh, thats true. i too have ambitions to do just that - though not working in such an era. this is why i have started writing my own series, just to establish myself first... then i am going for the big time!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 12:54 PM
Click here to Send starwarsfreak34 a Private Message Find more posts by starwarsfreak34 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greyrobes

All right, thanks for the information. smile

Mmm'kay?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 02:13 PM
Click here to Send Greyrobes a Private Message Find more posts by Greyrobes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

And surely it would be a good idea to diverse your self in different genres instead of merely sticking to Sci-Fi/Fantasy...

And bear in mind most writers do not even attempt there first book until there middle-aged...

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 03:30 PM
Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

I write a lot of craptastic stories myself but I can say that you don't just write a novel. Just begin with a bit of summary like stories and expend from there.

Also in SW like stories, you should really create an enemy wich stands out as 'strong' in the story by making him kill some main characters. Otherwise the ending won't be nearly as exciting if it's just some bad guy dying. The odds should always be against the good guy.
Ah.. As long as there is a good climax it's okay. smile

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 09:24 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

As long as you dont take liberties with just how strong Jedi are it doesnt matter *cough* NJO *cough*

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 09:26 PM
overlord
OD'd

Yeah, if they would do something like that in a movie, it would suck terribly. (jedi actually already suck terribly evil face )

But then again.. I haven't read NJO, so I don't know what's exciting about them.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 09:31 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I started but then......nothing. not a single desire to carry on after vector Prime.

Its the Vong - they suck! Another travesty for the EU - the Vong!

In other words dont create villains that practically mirror existing ones but with a few new cliched ideas nicked from Star Trek in them.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 09:32 PM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

I don't know why NJO is bashed so much, I don't see anyone complaining about how powerful Exar and Naga are.

Greyrobes, like was said above, don't make the Jedi uber.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 10:01 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Because think of reality now and then think of ancient greek mythology.

The reality is normal OT Star Wars, the mythology is KOTOR era - where theres legendary heroes everywhere etc. and however more cliché you wanna get.

It's just a literary idea (usually in fantasy/sci-fi) that things in the past were greater, stronger and grander than now.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 10:19 PM
Greyrobes

It's hard to describe my vision of Star Wars. But I want to create something that breaks free from the ordinary; i.e. the dogma that has been formed by NJO-novels and other books, which I deem mediocre at best.

I absolutely detest the overuse of... effects, you could say. With über(as you put it)-Yodas that jump around with lightsabers, or huge invasions that may well threaten the whole galaxy (who would've thought?). I would rather have subtlety, instead of noises and lights; emphasis on emotions and the state of the individual, rather than a factual mass of everything.

To be metaphorical, I want to give "Gods" a sense of humanity; that even the mightiest may weep, or that the even the most good of us may turn to darkness. That even the most of evil of us may catch a hint of light, at some point in his or hers life. That not everything is what it seems. That leads me to the main theme of my would-be story: the grey shade between the two prominent presences of light and dark. Is there something like absolute evil, or absolute good? Y'all get the idea.

But as I said - we all have our personal views of Star Wars (at least the entrenched fans). Will I complete my work and see it published? Maybe, or maybe not. We'll see.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 08:29 PM
Lucius
Unknown

Hey a fellow writer! I hope you do manage to do well with your dreams. Mine are still in the works but I have high hopes.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 09:10 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I have ambition of course. But getting A+ coursework like i did does not mean I have the ability to be a writer, I'm not even sure If I'd want to be a writer.

And the ultimate test for any would be Star Wars author would be create a brilliant SW book without including a lightsaber fight, nor even word of the power of the force etc. Forget the flashy set pieces and go for character building.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 09:47 PM
SS_181st_Snow
Flyer of the Wraith.

You have a great vision Greyrobes, for a book we've all probably been dying to read ever since the travesty of the NJO. I hope your reach your goals andthensome. Good luck with it.

HEIL BARON VON RICHTHOFEN! HEIL THE LUFTWAFFE!

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:15 PM
Click here to Send SS_181st_Snow a Private Message Find more posts by SS_181st_Snow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I am a great writer (or so I'm told...sometimes I feel I don't do very well...) myself, and I have yet to step away from the Star Wars genre to make my own, lasting story. Star Wars is a good place to start, because I know it well.

*shrug*

I don't think I'll ever try to get Del Rey or LucasArts to allow me to write for them.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 03:05 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prieda Solo

Good luck with the writting. I am a (pretty bad) fanfic writter and the problem I have is finnishing the darn things. I must have started at least five star wars novels, never finished a single one.

Ideas just keep coming *sigh* and also i'm busy at school and stuff.

The main problem with star wars fanfic is trying to keep it star wars without going cliche. I personally like the characters best, Han, Luke, Liea complemented each other so well. With no proper characters the thing falls flat. (See Attack of the Clones)

Prieda

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:09 AM
Click here to Send Prieda Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Prieda Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Damn.. Everyone is a writer these days.
The problem is that we all get compliments.. I would rather have criticism.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 09:10 AM
Hazardous

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Greyrobes
To be metaphorical, I want to give "Gods" a sense of humanity; that even the mightiest may weep, or that the even the most good of us may turn to darkness. That even the most of evil of us may catch a hint of light, at some point in his or hers life. That not everything is what it seems. That leads me to the main theme of my would-be story: the grey shade between the two prominent presences of light and dark. Is there something like absolute evil, or absolute good? Y'all get the idea.

You've got some good ideas and all, good luckthumb up

If you havent read the Thrawn trilogy, I recommend it. This is a prime example of how a good book is written. The characters are made, not just added in. Each character has their own style, the events are thought out flawlessly and the action is described so well its like watching a movie. You could just feel the story fall into place in the SW universe.

The only thing you'd want to pay attention to writing in that sort of era is continuation. Writing after the OT, you can make anything happen. Writing before though, you have to stick to certain things.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 11:25 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

you go! uddles!

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2005 08:01 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote