KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why Darth Vader Respects Emporor Palpatine..

Why Darth Vader Respects Emporor Palpatine..
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

Why Darth Vader Respects Emporor Palpatine..

Everyone of course knows that Vader respects Palpatine's authority as Emperor and as his Sith Master, but how about personally. This is an excerpt from the book "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" by James Luceno, the same author who wrote "Labyrinth of Evil". I caught this piece while finishing the book. And IMO, I think it perfectly explained why Darth Vader respects Emperor Palpatine.

This is Palpatine initially scolding Vader on why he killed a Senator and not captured him like Vader was told. It seems long but I need to add that part in order for the whole thing to make sense. Oh and Senator Zar’s that old black guy with the long beard who hung out with the other Senators on the Ep. 3 DVD bonus disc

Palpatine: It appears you attended to our little problem on Alderaan, Lord Vader.

Vader: Yes, Master. Fang Zar need no longer concern you.

Palpatine: I know I should feel some sense of relief. But in fact, I’m not entirely pleased with the outcome. Zar’s death could arouse sympathy in the Senate.
Vader: He left me no recourse
Palpatine: No recourse? Why didn’t you simply apprehend him, as I asked?

Vader: He made the mistake of attempting to flee.

Palpatine: But you against someone like Fang Zar? It hardly seems an equitable match, Lord Vader.

Vader: Zar was not alone (Vader said with venom) What’s more, I don’t like the way….

Palpatine moved closer: Ah, what’s this? Allowing your words to trail off - as if I can’t see their destination. As if I can’t see the thoughts behind them!

Vader said nothing.

Palpatine: Perhaps you’re not enjoying you’re new station in life, is that it? Perhaps you tire already of executing my commands. Perhaps you think you are better suited to occupy the throne than I am. Is that it, Lord Vader? If so, then admit as much!

Vader after a moment: I am but an apprentice. You are,. my Master.

Palpatine: Interesting that you refrain from calling me your Master.

Vader: I meant nothing by it, my Master.

Palpatine: Perhaps you wish to strike me down, is that it?

Vader: No, Master.

Palpatine: What stops you from doing so? Obi Wan was once your Master, and you were certainly prepared to kill him. Even if you failed.

Vader, fist clenched: Obi Wan did not understand the power of the dark side.

Palpatine: And you do?

Vader: No, Master. Not yet. Not fully.

Palpatine: And that’s why you don’t try to strike me down? Because I posses powers you lack? (Sidious lifted his arms, hands deployed like claws as if to summon and hurl Sith lightning) Because you know that I could easily overwhelm the delicate electrical systems of your suit.

Vader stood ground: I do not fear death, my Master.

Palpatine: Then why go on living, my young apprentice?

Vader: To learn to become more powerful.

Sidious lowered his hands: Then I ask you one final time, Lord Vader. Why not strike me down.

Vader: Because you are my path to power. Because I need you.

Palpatine: Just like I needed my Master – for a time. Good. Very good. (Palpatine smiled in satisfaction). Your fugitive Jedi, my apprentice, they are traveling to Kashyyk. Go to them. Make them sorry they didn’t hide while they had a chance.

Vader wasn't scared of Palpatine at all. I thought he was. He did what he was told because he wanted to learn to become more powerful. And by succesfully doing and completing Sidious's bidding, he would deem Vader worthy enough to teach him more about the dark side. But I bet Sidious had his pre-determined limit with Vader. After all , he didn't want Vader to commit do what he did to Plegeius.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 10:58 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Very interesting.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 11:01 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Yes, good novel.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 02:39 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I agree. Vader was just putting up with Sidious as long as every Sith apprentice does their master.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 02:47 AM
Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

But towards the end (ROTJ) he became more dependant on keeping him alive(or so i think).

Some men die under the mountain just looking for gold
Some die looking for a hand to hold

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 03:58 AM
Click here to Send calvs a Private Message Find more posts by calvs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I think we all understand the real reason why Vader didn't revolt against Sidious...

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 04:28 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

lol, thats a good sight, eh? I loved the drunk one i put on The Battle Bar.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 04:28 AM
Click here to Send calvs a Private Message Find more posts by calvs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Yeah, I found Georgette's world like last May.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 04:44 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

confused

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 05:05 AM
Ganner Rhysode
Jedi Knight

Hmmm, that's really neat looking. I'll have to pick up that book. Is it reccomended I read The Labryinth first?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 09:30 AM
Click here to Send Ganner Rhysode a Private Message Find more posts by Ganner Rhysode Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ganner Rhysode
Hmmm, that's really neat looking. I'll have to pick up that book. Is it reccomended I read The Labryinth first?

Hm. Sure. I recommend reading Ep 3 more-so though. I mean "Dark Lord" is the Ep. 3 sequel after all.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 09:34 AM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Stephen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Hm. Sure. I recommend reading Ep 3 more-so though. I mean "Dark Lord" is the Ep. 3 sequel after all.

Where do you get these novels, I cant seem to find them anywhere.
I looked down town in all the bookshops (only ottakers and whsmith)
And couldnt find any but our town is sh-it.
any help will do as they sound good to have.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 06:20 PM
Click here to Send Darth Stephen a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Stephen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

There needs to be a disclaimer on how to spell "Anakin" and "Emperor".

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 06:40 PM
steverules
The doctor

I may buy that. Still confused as to why he wanted Luke to help him bring down palpatine.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 06:56 PM
Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Originally posted by steverules
I may buy that. Still confused as to why he wanted Luke to help him bring down palpatine.

Me too, why in heavens name would a Jedi want to take down the Dark Lord of the Sith, it just doesn't make any sense.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 06:58 PM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

They really do muck up things with these books.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2006 07:01 PM
Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Decay

unfortunatly the rise of vader doesnt have as much stuff on vader as id like. id have some cool stuff and is worth buying, but much of it is devoted to some random jedi, who might be interesting in their own right, annoyed me alot becuase i bought the book for vader.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 08:27 AM
Click here to Send Decay a Private Message Find more posts by Decay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote