KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » KOTOR MMO announced

KOTOR MMO announced
Started by: darth fury

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darth fury

KOTOR MMO announced

Portfolio.com just published a short excerpt of its interview with EA boss John Riccitiello who tells the site that it's "got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development" including "the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare." One doesn't need to connect too many dots to arrive at the conclusion that BioWare is returning to the Star Wars universe with a Knights of the Old Republic MMO.

Of course, this product has been rumored for ... well, for a long time. Separately confirming a BioWare / LucasArts collaboration and a BioWare MMO project lead to certain obvious conclusions and countless other rumors and leaks seemed to do everything but confirm (and some denied) the project's existence. Though it would appear Riccitiello wasn't quite ready to put a name on that project – it's Portfolio.com connecting those dots – by referencing that this is the game that "people are dying for us to talk to them about" he clearly seems to be pointing to KOTOR.

[Update: We've just spoken with N. Evan Van Zelfden, the writer of the report, who told us that when asked specifically if this game was "KOTOR Online", Riccitiello responded unequivocally, "Yes." So, there you have it – sounds like we can take off our skeptical glasses.]

from Joystiq.com

I posted it in games discussion thread and this one just to get somemore ideas.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2008 07:34 PM
Click here to Send darth fury a Private Message Find more posts by darth fury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I'm kind of worried about how this will even work...

Old Post Jul 17th, 2008 10:20 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I hope KOTOR III isn't the MMO. I don't want a Star Wars of Worldcraft.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2008 05:18 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Obsidian Fury

MMO KotOR would suck stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 18th, 2008 08:20 AM
Click here to Send Obsidian Fury a Private Message Find more posts by Obsidian Fury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just waiting for this to become absolutely official before I merge it with the previous KOTOR MMO stuff.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 18th, 2008 12:14 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Wow....this seems pretty official, but I'll wait as well. If it is true....I can't explain how upset and simply disappointed that makes me.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2008 03:19 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-FENS

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Rover
Wow....this seems pretty official, but I'll wait as well. If it is true....I can't explain how upset and simply disappointed that makes me.
Agreed. They already screwed with SWG, how much you wanna bet the KOTOR MMO will be exactly the same?

LA confuses the ever-loving shit out of me, once again. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 18th, 2008 11:22 PM
Click here to Send D-FENS a Private Message Find more posts by D-FENS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

While the whole Galaxies situation is part of it, it's definitely not just that.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but, I simply won't have the time to invest in an MMO in the years-to-come. I feel like I'm being alienated from being part of something I'd love to experience.

I'm not really too worried about the quality of the game; I have quite a bit of faith in BioWare. It's the fact that I simply won't be able to enjoy the game that upsets me the most. Kind of selfish, actually, but, hey, at least I'm honest.

Not to mention, of course, that I really wanted a resolution to the overall storyline and some closure. -_-

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 12:29 AM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Icy Ninja
Ninja Sith

While the whole Galaxies situation is part of it, it's definitely not just that.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but, I simply won't have the time to invest in an MMO in the years-to-come. I feel like I'm being alienated from being part of something I'd love to experience.

I'm not really too worried about the quality of the game; I have quite a bit of faith in BioWare. It's the fact that I simply won't be able to enjoy the game that upsets me the most. Kind of selfish, actually, but, hey, at least I'm honest.

Not to mention, of course, that I really wanted a resolution to the overall storyline and some closure. -_-

I completely agree with you on everything

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 12:34 AM
Click here to Send Icy Ninja a Private Message Find more posts by Icy Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Obsidian Fury

I find KotOR as an MMO too limiting.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 01:28 AM
Click here to Send Obsidian Fury a Private Message Find more posts by Obsidian Fury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Grrr. LOL.

Originally posted by Icy Ninja
I completely agree with you on everything

I'm not alone! stick out tongue

Originally posted by Obsidian Fury
I find KotOR as an MMO too limiting.

It certainly could be. Hopefully the community would be....IDK....LOL....

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 03:40 AM
(>^^)>
is it there yet?

i heard about this awhile ago might be cool

Lilypop Shots on XBOX
Lilipopshots on insragram

Old Post Jul 19th, 2008 05:00 PM
Click here to Send (>^^)> a Private Message Find more posts by (>^^)> Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Styles
Papa Bear

You all do understand that the KOTOR label is simply that: A label, meaning this game can take place anywhere from before KOTOR 1 all the way up to the Clone Wars...but any Star Wars game done by Bioware makes me happy.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 05:28 AM
Click here to Send Dr. Styles a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Styles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

exactly true for me too, on every point, especially the first paragraph: By the time i get in a place where i can invest any time in it, it'll be over by and large: kinda like SWG was for me a few years back:

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 05:32 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Croatoa
Back to Owlship.

KotoR II is the best video game I have ever played, with the first not far behind, and I really don't want the third to become an MMO after all has been considered.
And truth about the time investment issue, if it turns out to be an MMO.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 06:16 AM
Click here to Send Croatoa a Private Message Find more posts by Croatoa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exar_Kun11

they need to FINISH the story first.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 02:29 PM
Click here to Send Exar_Kun11 a Private Message Find more posts by Exar_Kun11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I think people might need to accept that there... actually might not be a resolution to that story.

It's easy to leave a plot open-ended, often hellishly hard to close that end. And there has never been any evidence that they really were working to a plan, they were just tinkering.

Meanwhile, Star Wars needs an MMO that isn't as rubbish as Galaxies. Much as I won't play this- because inevitably I will disagree too much with how they portray the Dark and Light Side moraslity issue, and because as we all know the style of it will be ruined by the player base- it's still not a bad idea, if they can get the gameplaty right. It's a much better setting for an MMO than Galaxies is.

Still, I've said all this before in other KOTOR threads, including the one this one will be merged into as soon as it becomes truly official.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 03:05 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: KOTOR MMO announced

Originally posted by darth fury
Portfolio.com just published a short excerpt of its interview with EA boss John Riccitiello who tells the site that it's "got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development" including "the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare." One doesn't need to connect too many dots to arrive at the conclusion that BioWare is returning to the Star Wars universe with a Knights of the Old Republic MMO.

Of course, this product has been rumored for ... well, for a long time. Separately confirming a BioWare / LucasArts collaboration and a BioWare MMO project lead to certain obvious conclusions and countless other rumors and leaks seemed to do everything but confirm (and some denied) the project's existence. Though it would appear Riccitiello wasn't quite ready to put a name on that project – it's Portfolio.com connecting those dots – by referencing that this is the game that "people are dying for us to talk to them about" he clearly seems to be pointing to KOTOR.

[Update: We've just spoken with N. Evan Van Zelfden, the writer of the report, who told us that when asked specifically if this game was "KOTOR Online", Riccitiello responded unequivocally, "Yes." So, there you have it – sounds like we can take off our skeptical glasses.]

from Joystiq.com

I posted it in games discussion thread and this one just to get somemore ideas.

Technically its been confirmed, not announced. But it does feel good to have a reason to return to old KMC here. big grin

"The wait is over."

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 10:46 PM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

1. I hope that it doesn't have a monthly fee and is on the 360. (I know, sweet dreams, but...)

2. It will be AWESOME to have an actually decent Star Wars RP that won't contradict canonicity.

3. The story continues! Yay!

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2008 10:40 AM
Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'll be amazed if there is no fee. Assume there will be one.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2008 11:26 AM