KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Matt Stover vs. James Luceno

Matt Stover vs. James Luceno
Started by: Darth Subjekt

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

Matt Stover vs. James Luceno

Who is the better Star Wars author? I know Luceno did LOE and RoDV, and Stover did the novel, but who has a truer vision of SW and perhaps less bias to a certain character? I want to but more books but i don't want to waste my money buying bs.

Or, if there is someone you all feel is even better, then enlighten me please.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 03:42 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Re: Matt Stover vs. James Luceno

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Who is the better Star Wars author? I know Luceno did LOE and RoDV, and Stover did the novel, but who has a truer vision of SW and perhaps less bias to a certain character? I want to but more books but i don't want to waste my money buying bs.

Or, if there is someone you all feel is even better, then enlighten me please.

I like Drew Karpyshyn's Darth Bane books the most. I love both of them and they were so much fun to read.

I also like Jude Watson. (She wrote most of the Jedi Apprentice, the Jedi Quest, and The Last of the Jedi series.)

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 04:11 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Whoever did Shatterpoint deserves a medal for making outstanding non shitty Star Wars EU.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 05:34 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMel
Heh

Re: Re: Matt Stover vs. James Luceno

Originally posted by sweersa
I also like Jude Watson. (She wrote most of the Jedi Apprentice, the Jedi Quest, and The Last of the Jedi series.)

me too !!

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 07:07 AM
Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Matt Stover was responsible for the writing of Shatterpoint and I agree, he deserves major kudos for that book.

But Labyrinth of Evil was also a grand work from Luceno.

A difficult decision.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 08:49 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Re: Re: Re: Matt Stover vs. James Luceno

Originally posted by MadMel
me too !!

Yay! smile

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 12:43 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

Oh, Stover did do Shatterpoint? I hate to admit it, but i haven't read that yet. sad

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 01:10 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Stover is, in my opinion, superior. The RotS novel is f*cking amazing, and is sufficient to completely blow away LoE (which I didn't really like), and to beat RodV, too. While he may, occasionally, geek out on Vaapad and Mace in completely unnecessary points, he can still write a really good, emotional story. And add a believable depiction of characters, too. He wins.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 03:13 PM
Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Stover is pretty good but he also annoys me sometimes so I'm going with Luceno... he may not always be as great but he doesn't piss me off as much either.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 06:39 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

Why does he piss you off so much?

Old Post Aug 7th, 2008 09:26 PM
Null ARC Avis
The best, the elite.

The Darth Bane series is amazing, great star wars, and just great in general, books. I actually like the women who has a love affair with Boba and the mandalorians. I love reading about non-jedi warriors.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2008 06:48 AM
Click here to Send Null ARC Avis a Private Message Find more posts by Null ARC Avis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahsoka Tano
Restricted

Account Restricted

I enjoyed Luceno's, Labyrinth of Evil. It just made, Revenge of the Sith that much better.

*ROTS, movie.

Thanks TGF

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 07:05 AM
Click here to Send Ahsoka Tano a Private Message Find more posts by Ahsoka Tano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

These guys are nothing compared to some of the people at the unofficial KOTOr fan media site. Especially that 'Dark Hero' series. I seriously do love that site.

Oh, and Stover

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 05:47 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent White
No title since 2009-07-25

I like Luceno better, though I think Timothy Zahn is still the best.

I know I'll get slammed by all you anti-NJO and anti-post-NJO people, but Troy Denning's not that bad.

"I'm not crazy! Don't call me crazy! I'm just not user-friendly!"

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 08:43 PM
Click here to Send Agent White a Private Message Find more posts by Agent White Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

What's something that Zahn has written?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2008 12:00 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
What's something that Zahn has written?

The Thrawn Trilogy.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2008 12:55 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Originally posted by Captain REX
Matt Stover was responsible for the writing of Shatterpoint and I agree, he deserves major kudos for that book.

But Labyrinth of Evil was also a grand work from Luceno.

A difficult decision.

I agree with you there. Shatterpoint is outstanding, but Labyrinth of Evil was also surprisingly good. I don't know who should I point my finger at.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2008 05:56 AM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Luceno has brilliant moments, but sometimes I think he fails to capture the depth of certain characters and situations. Overall, I find Stover to be superior (perhaps even the best), but he overuses italics and chokes us with philosophy.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 10:43 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

They are my favorite SW authors. Shatterpoint,LOE,RoDV,ROTS-it doesn't get any better then that.

Originally posted by Null ARC Avis
I actually like the women who has a love affair with Boba and the mandalorians. I love reading about non-jedi warriors.

Lol, your like the only on here that does.

Originally posted by caedusrulesall
I know I'll get slammed by all you anti-NJO and anti-post-NJO people, but Troy Denning's not that bad.

Invincible was certainly the best LOTF book, I liked his version of Ben and actually gave him some type of normal teenage qualities (other than a rough relationship with his parents) instead of the naive jr. officer/assassin role he has been in. I think he portrayed Caedus the best in this book out of all of them, but the epilogue seemed rushed and he didn't kill Fett dammit mad

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 11:01 PM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent White
No title since 2009-07-25

Originally posted by Elite Hunter
Invincible was certainly the best LOTF book, I liked his version of Ben and actually gave him some type of normal teenage qualities (other than a rough relationship with his parents) instead of the naive jr. officer/assassin role he has been in. I think he portrayed Caedus the best in this book out of all of them, but the epilogue seemed rushed and he didn't kill Fett dammit mad

You just know Fett was supposed to die. I mean the whole nanokiller thing, wtf? Karen Traviss probably had a temper tantrum and made Denning change it.

"I'm not crazy! Don't call me crazy! I'm just not user-friendly!"

Old Post Aug 12th, 2008 11:46 PM
Click here to Send Agent White a Private Message Find more posts by Agent White Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote