KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Was the Empire really that bad?

Was the Empire really that bad?
Started by: Null ARC Avis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Null ARC Avis
The best, the elite.

Was the Empire really that bad?

Aside from the whole "We'll blow up your planet!!!!" thing, was the empire truly awful? The actions of the emperor and Vader effected very few being really, and the empire did maintain order, generally, and we much more productive than the corrupt republic. So i wonder, was the empire truly an oppressive regime, or was thata just rebel propaganda?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:45 AM
Click here to Send Null ARC Avis a Private Message Find more posts by Null ARC Avis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Based on collective evidence, the Empire -- as a whole -- was just incredibly strict. Taxation and such increased dramatically, but most people who minded their own business wouldn't see the business end of a lightsaber or blaster. It should be noted that Palpatine was extraordinarily popular and, for the most part, so was the Empire. The public would blame their less-than-hospitable actions on icons of fear like Tarkin and Vader, but wouldn't associate the Empire's war crimes with Palpatine himself.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 04:58 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I read somewhere that the Empire was oppressive towards aliens on account of Palpatine being a huge gay racist. Supposedly there were laws against them that essentially made them second class citizens.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar.....

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:49 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Aliens are the minority of the galaxy. Reading comprehension helps, of course: "the Empire -- as a whole -- was just incredibly strict." Of course you have lunatic bigots like Sate Pestage, Ars Dangor, Kinman Doriana and such influencing Imperial High Culture, but, as I say, the Empire remained popular throughout much of its reign. How the hell else do you think it lasted for twenty-something years?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 03:44 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Don't forget Kashyyk, the home world of the Noghri, Byss, Alderaan, etc.
The empire was not truly just either, strictly or otherwise. (remember Tattoine? the jawa's were completely innocent) The empire was also corrupt, allowing crime lords like hutt and Xizor to operate as long as they paid the right people.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 05:13 PM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by truejedi
Don't forget Kashyyk, the home world of the Noghri, Byss, Alderaan, etc.
The empire was not truly just either, strictly or otherwise. (remember Tattoine? the jawa's were completely innocent) The empire was also corrupt, allowing crime lords like hutt and Xizor to operate as long as they paid the right people.

No one is trying to romanticise the Empire or say that they were misunderstood. Palpatine and most of Imperial High Command were easily the greatest collective of corrupt, evil men in galactic history. But the Empire wasn't "LOLZ GRR BLOW UP TEH PLANET" rash like Tarkin. The Empire itself, as a whole, was extremely subtle and remained highly popular. Byss itself was testament to the Emperor's subtlelty. You only named two planets out of millions.

Was the Empire evil? Sure. Were they blatantly so, as a whole? Well hardly.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 05:19 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Note too that it wasn't until Alderaan that many denizens began to question the Empire.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 07:49 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Tangible God
Note too that it wasn't until Alderaan that many denizens began to question the Empire.

Exactly. By the way, Tangible, see my Project Holocron thread. If you're interested, I would like you to be involved.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 07:53 PM
Lightsnake

The majority were happy, sure. But then that's like Nazi Germany-willing to pretend they don't know what happens to those who were undesirable.

The Empire's policies exterminated many species, forced numerous others to extinction...yeah, the overwhelming popularity is kind of obvious: Plenty human were happy and prosperous.

Again, just like Germany in the 30s-40s

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:14 PM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Exactly.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 01:39 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by Lightsnake
The majority were happy, sure. But then that's like Nazi Germany-willing to pretend they don't know what happens to those who were undesirable.

The Empire's policies exterminated many species, forced numerous others to extinction...yeah, the overwhelming popularity is kind of obvious: Plenty human were happy and prosperous.

Again, just like Germany in the 30s-40s

Don't assume the Empire slaughtered other species besides humans, the reason you see a majority of Humans in the Empire is becuase the time, and funds during the making of the OT didn't allow for non-human Imperial forces.

That is also why you see a lot of Human rebels also, ROTJ is a slight exception with the Bothans and Calamari.

Never in the movies did they talk about exterminating non-human beings...this would serve no purpose...in fact look at the senate, so many aliens, to kill them all would make no sense and would be very expensive and time consuming.

Also, if this was true wouldn't almost every alien be on the side of the Rebels?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 02:12 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by sweersa
Don't assume the Empire slaughtered other species besides humans, the reason you see a majority of Humans in the Empire is becuase the time, and funds during the making of the OT didn't allow for non-human Imperial forces.

That is also why you see a lot of Human rebels also, ROTJ is a slight exception with the Bothans and Calamari.

Never in the movies did they talk about exterminating non-human beings...this would serve no purpose...in fact look at the senate, so many aliens, to kill them all would make no sense and would be very expensive and time consuming.

Also, if this was true wouldn't almost every alien be on the side of the Rebels?
All true, but this is EU. We need not worry about queeq killing the thread if something other than movie-making factors is considered.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 05:13 AM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Actually, after reading Allegiance, I started thinkng about this, as well. The Empire, as a whole, as Gideon said, was not really evil. At least not before the destruction of Alderaan. The main characters in the book were stormtroopers who only joined the Empire with the sole purpose of helping others. Aiding people in need. They believed the Empire was righteous and just, until they started to become suspicious when their superiors began doing things which were not exactly noble, or even 'legal', and began questioning the Empire's motives. Probably the Empire's high ranking officers kept lower ranking ones, like stormtroopers and such, in the dark, making them believe the Empire was something it was not.
I assume many of the Empire's soldiers, pilots, etc. eventually left the Empire (or at least tried), after the destruction of Alderaan.

Last edited by Col. Valerian on Aug 31st, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 11:04 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by Tangible God
All true, but this is EU. We need not worry about queeq killing the thread if something other than movie-making factors is considered.

Yeah...the EU is whacked sometimes.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 12:50 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Ok 3 Things...

1 - The Empire are like Nazi's or Communists anyone who they even SUSPECT of being sympathetic to the Alliance or a Threat they ELIMINATE them from existance, Innocent or Not....with no trial and usually the Trials were Corrupt and one sided.

2nd - HAS ANYONE FORGOTTEN THE HUGE CELEBRATION ON COURASANT WHEN PALPATINE AND VADER WERE KILLED o.o and if you notice THEY PULLED DOWN THE STATUE OF PALPATINE infront of his Office.

3rd - Do you not understand that they destroyed Alderaan and all of itts Inhabitants innocent WEMON , CHILDREN , OLD PEOPLE , Men ect. plus without the Death Star they used Star Destroyers and TIE BOMBERS to bomb a civilization into Submission if it showed even a slight bit of Indapendance.

OH YEA and a 4th point.... THEY TORTURED PEOPLE and Killed Luke's Ant and Uncle o.o Brutality , Torture , Genocide , Slave Labor (The Wookies) , Emperialistic = Forcing other planets to side with them.

Now lets talk about the Rebel Alliance and the New Republic

4 points again ill do cons and pros for both actually.

New Republic - PRO's - Diplomatic Society , Freedom , Hired Labor , Volunteer Enlisted Soldiers , Liberators , Senate and Court Trials for Law Breakers , Helps Allies in Wars when possiable , Deosent Force Star Systems to join them.

New Republic - Cons - Corrupt Goverment - An Occasional Psychopath like Jacen Solo , and sometimes it lies but usually for the best interest of the General Population 1 Wrong 1000 Lives Saved

EMPIRE - Pro's - Efficent Governing , Cracks Down on Criminals and Smugglers , Large and Powerful Military thats all i can think of if there are other good things let me know o.o .

EMPIRE - Cons - Slave Labor , Conscription for Armies , Forced Alliances , Dictatorship , Cruelty and Concentration Camps for Aliens , Genocide , Forced Submission , Biased Trials , Corrupted Judges (if the convict even gets a trial) , Torture , They dont care if one of their men dies , Abandonment of Soldiers on Battlefield , Crappy Armor , Horriable Training for Soldiers (NEED TO AIM) , Crappy Non-Shielded Starships with minimum Weaponry (exception for Tie Defender and Tie Bomber) , OH AND GOT OWNED BY A MUCH SMALLER REBEL FORCE o.o.

SO OVERALL ILL GO WITH THE REPUBLIC AND REBEL ALLIANCE ANYTIME big grin

LONG LIVE THE ALLIANCE , LONG LIVE RED SQUADRON , LONG LIVE FREEDOM!!

"I see more Grey than Light or Dark now days." - Jolee Bindo

"I will do what I must Obi-Wan." - Qui-Gon-Jinn

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 02:34 AM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

The New Republic also failed utterly to protect it's planets from the Vong, and lost trillions of innocent people.

*shrug*

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 02:35 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

We are not questioning the Stormtrooper's Actions tho...WE ARE QUESTIONING THE GOVERMENT AND MOTIVES OF THE LEADERS OF THE EMPIRE and the Empire Itself.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 02:36 AM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Sweersa...How the Heck did you come to that conclusion....DONT YOU REMEMBER TARKIN saying "You no longer need to worry about the Imperial Senate the last remnants of the Old Republic have been *SWEPT AWAY* and the Regional Govenors have full control of their Territories" What the heck do you think he means by SWEPT AWAY they fricken KILLED THEM ALL maby not marched into the Senate Building and shot them all but im guessing the Emperor had them Poisoned or some of them had a Mysterious Airspeeder Wreck outside their apartments.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 02:40 AM
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
The New Republic also failed utterly to protect it's planets from the Vong, and lost trillions of innocent people.

*shrug*

Sir...If they had FAILED UTTERLY there would not be any books from the Legacy of the Force or Legacy Comic Books now would there?

They Made a Peace with the Vong and Got their Planets Back....They had Set backs but it was not a failure....Failure is when you lose the war not a few battles.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 02:42 AM
sweersa

Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
Ok 3 Things...

1 - The Empire are like Nazi's or Communists anyone who they even SUSPECT of being sympathetic to the Alliance or a Threat they ELIMINATE them from existance, Innocent or Not....with no trial and usually the Trials were Corrupt and one sided.

2nd - HAS ANYONE FORGOTTEN THE HUGE CELEBRATION ON COURASANT WHEN PALPATINE AND VADER WERE KILLED o.o and if you notice THEY PULLED DOWN THE STATUE OF PALPATINE infront of his Office.

3rd - Do you not understand that they destroyed Alderaan and all of itts Inhabitants innocent WEMON , CHILDREN , OLD PEOPLE , Men ect. plus without the Death Star they used Star Destroyers and TIE BOMBERS to bomb a civilization into Submission if it showed even a slight bit of Indapendance.

OH YEA and a 4th point.... THEY TORTURED PEOPLE and Killed Luke's Ant and Uncle o.o Brutality , Torture , Genocide , Slave Labor (The Wookies) , Emperialistic = Forcing other planets to side with them.

Now lets talk about the Rebel Alliance and the New Republic

4 points again ill do cons and pros for both actually.

New Republic - PRO's - Diplomatic Society , Freedom , Hired Labor , Volunteer Enlisted Soldiers , Liberators , Senate and Court Trials for Law Breakers , Helps Allies in Wars when possiable , Deosent Force Star Systems to join them.

New Republic - Cons - Corrupt Goverment - An Occasional Psychopath like Jacen Solo , and sometimes it lies but usually for the best interest of the General Population 1 Wrong 1000 Lives Saved

EMPIRE - Pro's - Efficent Governing , Cracks Down on Criminals and Smugglers , Large and Powerful Military thats all i can think of if there are other good things let me know o.o .

EMPIRE - Cons - Slave Labor , Conscription for Armies , Forced Alliances , Dictatorship , Cruelty and Concentration Camps for Aliens , Genocide , Forced Submission , Biased Trials , Corrupted Judges (if the convict even gets a trial) , Torture , They dont care if one of their men dies , Abandonment of Soldiers on Battlefield , Crappy Armor , Horriable Training for Soldiers (NEED TO AIM) , Crappy Non-Shielded Starships with minimum Weaponry (exception for Tie Defender and Tie Bomber) , OH AND GOT OWNED BY A MUCH SMALLER REBEL FORCE o.o.

SO OVERALL ILL GO WITH THE REPUBLIC AND REBEL ALLIANCE ANYTIME big grin

LONG LIVE THE ALLIANCE , LONG LIVE RED SQUADRON , LONG LIVE FREEDOM!!

*cough* spell check! *cough*

Just kidding buddy, I like all of your points.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2008 02:56 AM