KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Darkside/Lightside - Influences on the Force

Darkside/Lightside - Influences on the Force
Started by: MIŠT

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hazardous

Darkside/Lightside - Influences on the Force

Ok I was just thinking about a few things the Jedi do, and since they are Jedi they are assumed to be 'light side' users. However some of the actions performed seem to be 'bad' but for a 'good' reason. So where does the line of the dark side seep into a Jedi's actions? There are obvious uses, such as emotional attachment, selfish actions, murder etc, but my observations are of little actions.

TPM - Qui Gon using the Force to try and persuade Watto to accept Republic credits.

Now, isn't this a 'bad' action, seeing as Qui Gon is forcing (or attempting) Watto to do something against his free will? It's relatively a small action, in that Watto will be paid the correct amount, but as he says 'Republic credits are no good', so if the Force had worked, he would have useless money.

AOTC - Mace decapitating Jango.

This one isn't as neutral as the above one, since Jango was trying to kill him, but Mace did cut his weapon in half before swinging around to cut his head off. Jango's jetpack was faulty and his weapon was gone, apart from his flamethrower. He wasn't exactly going anywhere. I guess this one is justified, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I had a couple more but I've forgotten them, I'll try and remember sometime, maybe re-watch the movies. Most of them come during the PT era though.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 12:50 PM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Happy_Sith

Jedi have a strange battle philosophy.

It is OK for them to use a lightsaber move to kill somebody, but it is not OK for them to kill an unarmed prisoner. The problem is that a lightsaber move that kills an opponent may be one that he does not see coming, and so he is helpless against it!

Silly Jedi.

I look nothing like a man, but I suppose my previous maleness got me started in Star Wars.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 02:57 PM
Click here to Send Happy_Sith a Private Message Find more posts by Happy_Sith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

The Mist?

I bow to your legendary presence.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 07:13 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alcantur
Dark Side Scholar

what do you call light and dark...i think this debate depends on that point of view.
It is ok that windu killed an unarmed Jango? probably yes; a Mandalorian without a blaster is still a dangerous opponet, that knows many ways to kill a person without using a gun.
Persuading a person to do something against his won will...it has been done to save someone, to prevent further damage, nobody got hurt in the process, so you can considere that in the eyes of Qui-Gon, it was OK.
Some persons says that the dark side is the use of the force powers for own benefit, and the light side is using it for the wellfare of the many. Judge by yourself.

Darkness gives me knowledge, knowledge means power.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 07:44 PM
Click here to Send alcantur a Private Message Find more posts by alcantur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'd say the jedi are stupid hypocrites.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 09:23 PM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Agreed.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 12:17 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

quote: (post)
Originally posted by alcantur
what do you call light and dark...i think this debate depends on that point of view.

That's what I kind of mean, how does a Jedi know what light and dark is? How do they know what point they start performing selfish or aggressive actions, if they believe themselves to be acting in good faith?

Also,
ANH - Obi Wan cutting Ponda Baba's arm off

He cut off the guy's arm so they'd stop pestering Luke, he wasn't armed (or at least didn't pull out a weapon). He could have easily used the Force to persuade them to go away or leave him alone. Going by the PT, the Jedi are peace keepers and diplomats. Seems a bit aggressive to just cut a guy's arm off.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 01:34 AM
sigma-ct42

Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
Agreed.

i second that. well third.

Last edited by sigma-ct42 on Nov 22nd, 2008 at 02:22 AM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 02:19 AM
Click here to Send sigma-ct42 a Private Message Find more posts by sigma-ct42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe its a way of humanizing them as well, so that they aren't like a bunch of little jesuses running around?

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 07:16 AM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: Darkside/Lightside - Influences on the Force

Originally posted by MIŠT
Ok I was just thinking about a few things the Jedi do, and since they are Jedi they are assumed to be 'light side' users. However some of the actions performed seem to be 'bad' but for a 'good' reason. So where does the line of the dark side seep into a Jedi's actions? There are obvious uses, such as emotional attachment, selfish actions, murder etc, but my observations are of little actions.

TPM - Qui Gon using the Force to try and persuade Watto to accept Republic credits.

Now, isn't this a 'bad' action, seeing as Qui Gon is forcing (or attempting) Watto to do something against his free will? It's relatively a small action, in that Watto will be paid the correct amount, but as he says 'Republic credits are no good', so if the Force had worked, he would have useless money.

AOTC - Mace decapitating Jango.

This one isn't as neutral as the above one, since Jango was trying to kill him, but Mace did cut his weapon in half before swinging around to cut his head off. Jango's jetpack was faulty and his weapon was gone, apart from his flamethrower. He wasn't exactly going anywhere. I guess this one is justified, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I had a couple more but I've forgotten them, I'll try and remember sometime, maybe re-watch the movies. Most of them come during the PT era though.
Easy answer: Mace and Qui-Gon are pure awesome. All the others are silly.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2008 08:00 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

This is what happens why you try to apply black and white morals to human beings.

Oh... did I just say that?

EDIT - I almost forgot. *Bows to the might of The Mist*

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2008 05:31 AM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Qui Gon needed to get the ship so that he could save the lives of many thousands. Why care about Watto losing a few dollars?

Jango still had a blaster. Is Mace supposed to just stand there and let Jango kill him?

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2008 04:55 PM
Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-FENS

Originally posted by MIŠT

Also,
ANH - Obi Wan cutting Ponda Baba's arm off

He cut off the guy's arm so they'd stop pestering Luke, he wasn't armed (or at least didn't pull out a weapon). He could have easily used the Force to persuade them to go away or leave him alone. Going by the PT, the Jedi are peace keepers and diplomats. Seems a bit aggressive to just cut a guy's arm off.
Actually, they were armed, and Obi-Wan only cut off the guy's arm AFTER they tossed Luke into a table and THEN pulled their guns out. Seems pretty justified, to me.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2008 05:55 PM
Click here to Send D-FENS a Private Message Find more posts by D-FENS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Hmm, well I need to go watch it again, forgotten stuff like that. Oh well, principle applies (to Hewhoknowsall)

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 01:00 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Qui Gon needed to get the ship so that he could save the lives of many thousands. Why care about Watto losing a few dollars?

Jango still had a blaster. Is Mace supposed to just stand there and let Jango kill him?
MILLIONS of lives. But you're right, who cares about a junk dealer/slaver owner's money when compared to something of such magnitude.

And Jango's death was justified: Infamous bounty hunter fighting with the Separatists shooting at Jedi... killed IN combat, not executed. By Mace of all people.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 04:33 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote