KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » palpatine and his power

palpatine and his power
Started by: gundam718

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
gundam718

palpatine and his power

I was wondering can somebody please post all the Evidence that says that palpatine was indeed the most powerful sith lord of all time?Im in a debate with someone who thinks that he was weak compared to kotor sith and jedi.

Also is there any Evidence that says pt jedi where more skilled then kotor jedi?

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 04:31 PM
Click here to Send gundam718 a Private Message Find more posts by gundam718 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Feats.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 04:48 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by gundam718
I was wondering can somebody please post all the Evidence that says that palpatine was indeed the most powerful sith lord of all time?Im in a debate with someone who thinks that he was weak compared to kotor sith and jedi.

Also is there any Evidence that says pt jedi where more skilled then kotor jedi?

Well, just bring up Dark Empire Sidious and you've got it won. As far as Jedi as a whole, GL did say that the PT is the 'prime of the Jedi' or some such.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 04:56 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

Re: palpatine and his power

Originally posted by gundam718

If you search the Eu forum for about 5-8 pages there is at least 2 threads with arguments for palpatine and against him. Both of them have "most powerful sith lord" in their title. The consensus is that Sidious is the most powerful in the force but the opposition in the early stages of those threads would claim that most powerful is referring to everything but personal power (ex political power), and bunch of other stuff. It's fun to read though no expression

EDIT: Btw is the debate online? Also ask your oppenent, what did the kotor jedi oder (as whole no exceptions like Revan) ever do that made them more powerful then PT era jedi who or what feats do they have to their name.

Last edited by Elite Hunter on Dec 28th, 2008 at 05:11 PM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 05:05 PM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

New Essential chronology by Dan Wallace...

"Palpatine is the most powerful sith lord in history"

starwars.com says

"He is the most powerful practitioner of the Sith ways in modern times."

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 05:25 PM
Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

Re: Re: palpatine and his power

Originally posted by Elite Hunter
EDIT: Btw is the debate online? Also ask your opponent, what did the kotor jedi order (as whole no exceptions like Revan) ever do that made them more powerful then PT era jedi who or what feats do they have to their name.

My bad for the spelling mistakes (which I just corrected) also point out that Sidious had access to sith holocrons that debated to the ancient sith and he knew of Malachor's existence.

I know there are quotes out there that refer to him as "the greatest master of evil" and such, which I don't have access to at the moment but like I said a quick search of the EU forum and you will find threads/debates on this topic.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 05:31 PM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

There are countless relevant threads to be found in the EU section and literally dozens of quotes from certain sources and feats that proclaim Palpatine to be the greatest, most accomplished, and most powerful Sith Lord in galactic history.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 09:22 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teck92
Dark apprintice

But palp he just he does not seem powerful

luke
vader
palp

all of the seem like children i just have never heard of them doing that is amazing

Old Republic jedi mesmorize me.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 01:44 AM
Click here to Send teck92 a Private Message Find more posts by teck92 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

Originally posted by teck92
But palp he just he does not seem powerful

You are talking about a man who single handily destroyed a republic fleet and in Revenge of the sith killed 3 of the greatest lightsaber duelists the jedi order has ever produced in a matter of seconds.

quote:
luke
vader
palp

all of the seem like children i just have never heard of them doing that is amazing

Wookieepedia them

quote:
Old Republic jedi mesmorize me.

May I ask for what the old republic jedi order has on the PT jedi order or NJO. There are very few jedi from the old republic (I assume your are referring to kotor) that have any feats that could rival the PT jedi or NJO. (I'll give anyone a cookie if they can name them.)

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 02:12 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Even if you ignore the statements that outright confirm his superiority over every other Sith in the mythos, simply take a look at what the man himself has done:

He blunted Jedi sensitivity on a galactic scale throughout the prequel trilogy; he was the individual responsible for the Jedi's inability to gaze into the future, confirmed by the official databank and RotS novelization.

He defeated three Jedi Masters who were universally regarded as "celebrated swordsmen" according to the Revenge of the Sith Visual Guide. The narrator of the RotS novelization regarded one of them (Agen Kolar) as one of the best ever along with Mace Windu. Obi-Wan Kenobi would personally count them all among the greatest swordsmen in galactic history. Keep in mind: the first two he killed with one swing of the lightsaber each and the third he butchered while simultaneously grappling with Mace Windu. He would also "force the mighty Mace Windu back" according to the official databank before being defeated by Windu's mastery of Vaapad and the shatterpoint charism.

According to The Essential Guide to Characters, his "mind fogging powers" manipulated millions of Coruscant citizens to forget the construction of the Super Star Destroyer Lusyanka.

His Force lightning was enough to disintegrate the flesh of three powerful Prophets of the Dark Side who were well versed in Sith alchemy which, according to the Dark Side Sourcebook, is reserved for high end Force users. The lightning was also sufficient to instantly destroy fifty stormtroopers who attacked him; Palpatine also controlled the bolts to work around the Royal Guardsmen who were embroiled in the melee. It was also sufficient enough to nearly overwhelm and kill Mace Windu who had the advantages of greater strength, mass, leverage, a lightsaber, and the metaphysical conduit of Vaapad.

Lastly, he was capable of summoning hyperspace wormholes that could not only "tear the surfaces off worlds" but also obliterated a fleet of starships equipped with shields capable of shrugging off gigatons of damage.

That doesn't even begin to cover most of his feats. Palpatine is, essentially, the Sith god.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:14 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gundam718

thanks everybody I'v found some of the quotes,but I still got some questions if you guys dont mind.

1.is it true that palpatine killed about a 100 stormtrooper with his force lightning?

2.did palpatine know Battle meditation,if so how good was it.the person that im debating with said that Bastila Shan meditation was more powerful then palpatine.

3.did palpatine use the force to bury a Star Destroyer and then mindwiped the population?

4.was yoda really the most powerful jedi up to rots.I really gotta know this one because if it's true then that means that yoda was more powerful then any kotor jedi master.

5.do any of you think that this new Sith Emperor will downplay all that palpatine has done in his life time?call me crazy but i have a felling that when the new game comes out people are going to call this new guy the most powerful sith.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:46 AM
Click here to Send gundam718 a Private Message Find more posts by gundam718 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

1. Fifty stormtroopers.

2. Palpatine has displayed the most advanced Battle Meditation in the mythos; his death at Endor completely screwed with the entire Fleet. And this was when he was dicking around with Vader and Luke.

3. Imperial engineers buried it; he mindfogged them.

4. Yep.

5. Nope.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:53 AM
gundam718

hey gideon,I may be going to far but would you say that palpatine is a planet level threat like darth Nihilus.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 05:28 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

He's galactic.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 06:21 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Gideon
Even if you ignore the statements that outright confirm his superiority over every other Sith in the mythos, simply take a look at what the man himself has done:

He blunted Jedi sensitivity on a galactic scale throughout the prequel trilogy; he was the individual responsible for the Jedi's inability to gaze into the future, confirmed by the official databank and RotS novelization.

He defeated three Jedi Masters who were universally regarded as "celebrated swordsmen" according to the Revenge of the Sith Visual Guide. The narrator of the RotS novelization regarded one of them (Agen Kolar) as one of the best ever along with Mace Windu. Obi-Wan Kenobi would personally count them all among the greatest swordsmen in galactic history. Keep in mind: the first two he killed with one swing of the lightsaber each and the third he butchered while simultaneously grappling with Mace Windu. He would also "force the mighty Mace Windu back" according to the official databank before being defeated by Windu's mastery of Vaapad and the shatterpoint charism.

According to The Essential Guide to Characters, his "mind fogging powers" manipulated millions of Coruscant citizens to forget the construction of the Super Star Destroyer Lusyanka.

His Force lightning was enough to disintegrate the flesh of three powerful Prophets of the Dark Side who were well versed in Sith alchemy which, according to the Dark Side Sourcebook, is reserved for high end Force users. The lightning was also sufficient to instantly destroy fifty stormtroopers who attacked him; Palpatine also controlled the bolts to work around the Royal Guardsmen who were embroiled in the melee. It was also sufficient enough to nearly overwhelm and kill Mace Windu who had the advantages of greater strength, mass, leverage, a lightsaber, and the metaphysical conduit of Vaapad.

Lastly, he was capable of summoning hyperspace wormholes that could not only "tear the surfaces off worlds" but also obliterated a fleet of starships equipped with shields capable of shrugging off gigatons of damage.

That doesn't even begin to cover most of his feats. Palpatine is, essentially, the Sith god.
I am in love with your sources.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 10:35 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Originally posted by Gideon
He's galactic.

Like Revan if that buttwhipe Malak didn't betray him.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 07:37 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xxxpoppunker182

Originally posted by Slash_KMC

Palpatine's force storms alone are a galactic threat. Name one force power Revan has that is a galactic threat.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 07:51 PM
Click here to Send xxxpoppunker182 a Private Message Find more posts by xxxpoppunker182 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Slash_KMC

Jesus H. Christ, no.

First, Revan is a Gary Stu; he's a joke -- a cardboard cut out of a character. LFL's attempt to make him an engima is simply only making him no better or worse than the likes of Edward Cullen or Bella Swan; both of them Gary Stus -- one designed to be the essence of perfection and the other designed to be transparent so thousands of fat girls with low self esteem across the country can imprint their wanton desires upon this cookie cutter character.

Revan. Is. A. Joke. Period. All those who regard him as some sort of "lolz uber l33t" character deserve no place in modern society. When he's fully explored and given a personality, we'll talk.

Until then, let me just say this: Darth Revan isn't "like Palpatine." Palpatine conquered the galaxy and ruled it as the undisputed dictator for two decades at the head of the galaxy's greatest and most powerful military superpower. Did Revan do that? No. Revan was on-record as being charismatic, but did he manipulate the galaxy into handing him its leadership? No. He opted to try to conquer it by force, and he failed. Did Revan master the Force on an unprecedented level? No. Was he powerful? Sure. Was he on Palpatine's level?

Hell no.

In fact, just to be clear, while Revan is most decidedly an amazing tactition, Palpatine even hands him his ass in terms of military strategy. Palpatine reconquered the galaxy in less than a year by use of Operation Shadow Hand, a strategy that was designed by Palpatine.

Long story short: Revan's great in terms of everything bar personality, but the only thing he has on Palpatine is possibly a greater command of military tactics.

That's. It. Period. Everything else? He doesn't compare.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 08:31 PM
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

I never compared Revan to Sidious, why should I, everyone knows Sidious is supposed to be the mastermind of evil, conqueror of the galaxy and after Return of the Jedi he also became the most powerfull Dark Sider blah blah ...

I'm just saying that I think the Old Republic (galaxy) may have been beaten if Malak didn't betray Revan because

Revan will have probably beaten Bastila and her battle meditation if Malak didn't fire on that bridge. It would not have been that easy to find the Star Forge and destroy it without Revan.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2008 03:27 AM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

I just went on an anti-Revan tangent. Don't take it personally.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2008 05:38 AM