KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How addictive is the dark side?

How addictive is the dark side?
Started by: DarkSideisMeth

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarkSideisMeth

How addictive is the dark side?

My name should tell all my own opinion on the matter. I think you have a 75% chance (for an average willed Jedi) of being addicted from the first moment you call on it. Other opinions?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2009 08:07 AM
Click here to Send DarkSideisMeth a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSideisMeth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Apparently the Dark Side like methamphetamines... stick out tongue

I think what is addicting about the Dark Side is the sheer use of emotions to bring yourself greater power. If the Jedi enjoys the feeling of that greater power or the newfound ability to unleash their emotions to bring about that power, they'll start getting hooked.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2009 04:39 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

And then they find this lacking, so they start looking for something more effective and more powerfull than before just to achieve the same feeling of pure emotion they had when they first tried it. This way they end up in a downward spiral that'll eventually destroy themselves.

Same thing for the Dark Side of the Force.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 12:01 AM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Well, yeah, I suppose it is like a drug.

You can never get enough of it, after all. And it eventually kills you.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 02:33 AM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSideisMeth

Also, like a chemical drug, the dark side does twist and change a person's personality over time. With long term use, this means the dark side user eventually becomes a totally differant individual, this can be best represented by Darth Vader not even recognizing the droid (Threepio) he created when he de-activated him in a comic. (or was it a novel, memory does not serve).

Also dark side users (ROTS showed this with anakin) sometimes show physical symptons such as sweating when they first dive into the force, and the pupil change could also be said to be a physical sympton of immersion in it. Personally I think that its quite amazing some Jedi (Windu) can realize dark force powers without becoming corrutped.

contact me [email protected]
if interested.

"United are all creeds of baser metals, under the ordeal of fire" - Oswald Mosely

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 09:21 AM
Click here to Send DarkSideisMeth a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSideisMeth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sorgo XIII
Restricted

Account Restricted

Freedom through immorality.

Someone once taught me that the world only makes sense when you force it to.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2009 09:05 AM
Click here to Send Sorgo XIII a Private Message Find more posts by Sorgo XIII Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

...I think its like, if you like it your first try, it would be hard to kick off the habit. if you joined it because you felt you had no choice or was pulled slowly into, you have a bigger chance of getting out of it...

or something like that.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2009 11:33 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane99

...I think its like, if you like it your first try, it would be hard to kick off the habit. if you joined it because you felt you had no choice or was pulled slowly into, you have a bigger chance of getting out of it...

or something like that.

Yeah i can see that.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 01:25 AM
Click here to Send darthbane99 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Except for Yoda's speeches about walking the Dark Path and never being able to pull away. But EU shat on that.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 10:47 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah. Apparently there is no addictive quality to the dark side.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 05:29 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

I don't know how Yoda was supposed to come off as wise, his speech to Anakin about death, just no. "OH hey don't worry about it if you have a dying friend, it doesn't matter. There is no death."

Yea, Yoda is a fool with a WIS score of about six.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 07:57 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yoda's perception and wisdom were great, imho, but towards the decline of the Republic, he'd lost sight of what it was he was fighting for.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 09:02 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Gideon
Yoda's perception and wisdom were great, imho, but towards the decline of the Republic, he'd lost sight of what it was he was fighting for.

It just seemed to me, that if he was so wise, he would have realized that the stock answer, was not going to work for Anakin. The Jedi Code works as a mantra in peaceful times. But throw a massive galaxy spanning war into the picture along with a nightmare of Padme dying, it makes sense to me, that Anakin would not accept the stock answer.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 09:05 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

The Dark Side is like every drug you've ever tried....all at once.....on steroids..

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 09:53 PM
Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by KingD19
The Dark Side is like every drug you've ever tried....all at once.....on steroids..

So... it's caffeine? Kinda lame for an ethereal energy field.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2009 02:48 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Originally posted by Autokrat
It just seemed to me, that if he was so wise, he would have realized that the stock answer, was not going to work for Anakin. The Jedi Code works as a mantra in peaceful times. But throw a massive galaxy spanning war into the picture along with a nightmare of Padme dying, it makes sense to me, that Anakin would not accept the stock answer.

Yoda gave him the right answer for a Jedi. Not what Anakin would have considered helpful but in the long run he probably lacked the self sacrificing mentality that Yoda and co. espoused.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2009 03:09 AM
Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Allankles
Yoda gave him the right answer for a Jedi. Not what Anakin would have considered helpful but in the long run he probably lacked the self sacrificing mentality that Yoda and co. espoused.
Until he got to the very end of his run.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2009 03:15 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Until he got to the very end of his run.

True. He got it at the end.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2009 04:19 AM
Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Originally posted by darthbane99

but if you're not careful, you'll be walking the streets selling your body just to get some dirty dark side to hit up on...nasty stuff

it's all about the person that is the center of discussion. the Skywalker family for instance have a tendency to fall, then redeem themselves...pretty much every Shywalker has: anakin; luke; ben; cade.

others however find it a lot more difficult, but it's about self control. all these sith that go knocking on peoples doors handing out leaflets for the new sith gospel are just too lazy or incompetent to trying to at least get off their fat dark sided arses.

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2009 10:30 PM
Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Blaze

I always think that one (Force sensitive) who has or has seen friends or family being killed or tortured by the Sith may start using both Light- and Dark- powers to attain revenge. The whole problem with the definition of Jedi and Sith is that it doen't take into account the rare person like the one I have just described. They would techncally be Sith, but working with a goal that can be justified. But this is where most people start straying off the path, starting to punish everyone in their way. The Dark Side's pull isn't, in many cases, easy to see until one actually comes out of it and thinks back.

Last edited by Lord Blaze on Apr 14th, 2009 at 08:10 PM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2009 08:08 PM
Click here to Send Lord Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote