KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Mechanics of Force Attacks

Mechanics of Force Attacks
Started by: Red Nemesis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Mechanics of Force Attacks

Pretty straightforward:

How do attacks directed through the Force manifest themselves?

Is a Force Push direct force applied to the object or does it push air (compressed or otherwise) at the target?

Is Force Lightning made up of electricity or some sort of physical manifestation of the Force?

These are the only two that come to mind, and I'm mostly interested in Force Lightning.

Discuss.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 11:17 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

I would imagine that Force Lightning is the user drawing energy from the Force to generate a shitton of electrons and somehow get them to arc towards the target.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 11:38 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fan Skywalker

1.Force Push is likely direct force, otherwise the lack of air in space would make tk impossible up there.

2."Palpatine raised his spidery arms toward Luke: blinding white bolts of energy coruscated from his fingers, shot across the room like sorcerous lightning, and tore through the boy's insides, looking for ground." Based on that qoute from ROTJ i assume FL is energy and not electricity.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 11:41 PM
Click here to Send Fan Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Fan Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Re: Mechanics of Force Attacks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Pretty straightforward:

How do attacks directed through the Force manifest themselves?

Is a Force Push direct force applied to the object or does it push air (compressed or otherwise) at the target?
Both. There are at least a dozen examples of someone being described as hurling out or stockpiling and then unleashing "energy" of some sort; Dooku in AotC and Bane in PoD come to mind. Quinlan Vos once hit Rex with a "fist" of compressed air that picked him off of the ground and knocked him out cold in Republic.

So both apply.

quote:
Is Force Lightning made up of electricity or some sort of physical manifestation of the Force?
Dooku describes it as "manifested hatred" in LoE, and I don't think I've ever heard a SW pseudoscientific explanation for it. I guess I would go with a physical manifestation of the Force.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 11:47 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I've always wondered just what FL was.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:39 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Force lightning was a purely energy-based attack used by practitioners of the dark side, especially the Sith. Because of this association, the ability was commonly referred to as Sith lightning. The attack channeled Force energy down the user's limbs, hurling arcing bolts of electricity from the wielder's fingertips or palms; Force lightning could be executed with either one or two hands. Powerful discharges would branch out into dozens of smaller forks; thus, skilled practitioners could target several foes at once.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:43 AM
Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Originally posted by KingD19
Force lightning was a purely energy-based attack used by practitioners of the dark side, especially the Sith. Because of this association, the ability was commonly referred to as Sith lightning. The attack channeled Force energy down the user's limbs, hurling arcing bolts of electricity from the wielder's fingertips or palms; Force lightning could be executed with either one or two hands. Powerful discharges would branch out into dozens of smaller forks; thus, skilled practitioners could target several foes at once.

Quoted word for word from wookipedia.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:56 AM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Yep, I've read enough books not to argue with this thing. I have my own opinion, I'm just lazy right now.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 06:57 AM
Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

They know what Force lightning is; TG's been here for three and a half years. The question was about the mechanics of the attacks, the "scientific" explanation.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 07:07 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Ahhhh, hmmmm, my personal say would be that the practitioner focuses their own Force energy into their arms, and they project it outward with killing intent, or the will to cause their opponent harm. Their connection with the Force senses that they want to harm or kill their target and it does so. Although it's energy, it's effects are similar to lightning. But I know that's not the only way to channel the Force into pure energy.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 07:14 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

My interpretation is that the practitioner uses the Dark Side to "collect" energy from the surrounding environment, heat, light, UV etc. all converted in to electricity and projected through the appendages. The specific nature of the "collection" left unknown to maintain the nostalgic image of the Force being a mysterious entity.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 04:04 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Hmm I wonder if a Force user could create fire by telekineticly accelerating the molecules in the air to the point where a enough friction was created to spark a flame.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 08:07 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I like the idea of that. But I'm also in favour of the idea that to perform such actions at the molecular level, you have to be immensely powerful--corresponding with my personal opinion I talked about in Gideon's EU thread, about Force-user decreasing in ability.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 08:44 PM
Eminence
Boss

Originally posted by Autokrat
Hmm I wonder if a Force user could create fire by telekineticly accelerating the molecules in the air to the point where a enough friction was created to spark a flame.
A toddler Jaina Solo did that.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 08:49 PM
KingD19

Well, it's possible, because in the new Coruscant Nights series, a 14-16 year old Force Sensitve named Kaijin Savaros, was strong enough in the Force to reach his hand inside a repulsor shield that was malfunctioning so much that it distorted the air, and grab the energy as if it were a solid object, then he threw it at an inquisitor. He also reduced another inquisitor to ash with a Force Repulse of unbelievable power.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 08:54 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Mechanics of Force Attacks

Originally posted by Red Nemesis

Direct force applied to the target only.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 11:31 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Both have happened, toolbag.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 03:44 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Koala's are gay.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 04:38 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Blaxican, did the Koala insult me?

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 04:44 AM
Eminence
Boss

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Koala's are gay.
Nuh uh.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2009 04:57 AM