KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Sidious

Sidious
Started by: Shoes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shoes

Sidious

Palpatine vs Mace

Mace legitimately won the saber duel.

Did he actually hold back Palpatine's lightning, or did Sidious throw the force fight?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 02:59 AM
Click here to Send Shoes a Private Message Find more posts by Shoes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Neither. Mace couldn't handle the power Sidious was putting out. Then Anakin got there. We'll never know what the outcome would have been, otherwise.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 03:15 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Neither. Mace couldn't handle the power Sidious was putting out. Then Anakin got there. We'll never know what the outcome would have been, otherwise.

I'm pretty sure Mace had Sidious beat and was about to deliver the killing blow. Even Sidious was surprised so I'm not sure he could have pulled something out of his ass at that moment.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 03:24 AM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Originally posted by Red Nemesis

Very good answer.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 03:53 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Mace was the superior duelist although it took him some time to defeat him. Force wise however, Sidious overpowers him. Sidious allowed himself to be deep fried to turn Anakin.

War Doctor

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 06:59 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

ive never really agreed with that. it doesnt make much sense that a narcissistic and shallow man such as sideous would allow irreparable damage to be dealt on himself.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 07:01 PM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Wasn't there some nonsense about a superconducting loop in the saber causing the lightning and dark side energy to be reversed upon Sidious, revealing his true form??

Old Post Apr 15th, 2010 07:41 PM
Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Don't know about the true form, but the superconducting loop is true. It's part of Vaapad.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 12:54 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shoes

Originally posted by KingD19
Wasn't there some nonsense about a superconducting loop in the saber causing the lightning and dark side energy to be reversed upon Sidious, revealing his true form??

sad

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 01:04 AM
Click here to Send Shoes a Private Message Find more posts by Shoes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
akpwnz
Master Troll

What about the theory that he needed Mace to win so that Anakin could make his final ascent to the Dark Side?

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 01:20 AM
Click here to Send akpwnz a Private Message Find more posts by akpwnz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shoes

Originally posted by akpwnz
What about the theory that he needed Mace to win so that Anakin could make his final ascent to the Dark Side?

sad

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 02:23 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by akpwnz
Arguable. Palpatine did lose the lightsaber duel due to Mace's shatterpoint, but he was fudging weakness during the Force contest. He wasn't "too weak".

Old Post Apr 16th, 2010 03:27 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Arguable. Palpatine did lose the lightsaber duel due to Mace's shatterpoint, but he was fudging weakness during the Force contest. He wasn't "too weak".
Was it actually stated that the reason Mace won the duel is because of shatterpoint? I'd always figured that was the reason, but didn't know it had been confirmed.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 03:35 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

yes, ROTS novelization. Mace realized that Sidious's shatterpoint was the slippery windsill or someting like that.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 03:47 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Nice. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 03:48 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by truejedi
yes, ROTS novelization. Mace realized that Sidious's shatterpoint was the slippery windsill or someting like that.

Are you sure... I swear Palpatine's shatterpoint was Anakin.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 03:55 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

you are right. And that ended up not being mentioned as a factor in the actual saber win.

So it was vapaad that gave him the win.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 04:04 AM
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

Originally posted by ares834
Are you sure... I swear Palpatine's shatterpoint was Anakin.

"He found a knot of fault lines in the shadow's future; he chose the largest fracture and followed it back to the here and the now... And it led him, astonishingly, to a man standing frozen in the slashed-open doorway. Mace had no need to look; the presence in the Force was familiar, and was as uplifting as sunlight breaking through a thunderhead.

The chosen one was here.

Mace disengaged from the shadow's blade and leapt for the window; he slashed away the transparisteel with a single flourish...

That was when Mace finally understood. He had it. The key to final victory. Palpatine's shatterpoint. The absolute shatter-point of the Sith.

The shatterpoint of the dark side itself.

Mace thought, blankly astonished, Palpatine trusts Anakin Skywalker .
..."

From the ROTS Novel, Anakin was the Shatterpoint.

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Last edited by mattatom on Apr 17th, 2010 at 09:20 AM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 09:14 AM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Vapaad made them equals. A fight according to the novel which could have just kept on going.

However I think the key line was in the novel when Mace says "You fight like a Jedi but your NO JEDI". Thats when he kicks the saber from his hand.

I think that means since they were equals on Technique and Power, but Mace had the advantage on experience. Being a Jedi he was on the front lines continuously fighting, whilst how many fights (let alone saber fights) did Sidious ever get into.

As for the Force fight, Lucas says Sidious was faking being weak. The novel says his FL it was "beyond Vapaad" and Mace culdnt handle it.
So even though Sidious wasnt in the best position to start using his FL(on his rear) I think he still could have taken it.

I mean id find it very odd if Sidious culdnt defeat Mace with the Force. Because that wuld technically make Mace the most powerful jedi of the time, since Yoda culdnt defeat Palps and Yoda did try his best to defeat him.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 09:58 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

I think that Sidious let him self become force fried for PR. He wanted sympathy from the people of the republic, and wanted to tar the jedi name. What better way than to pretend that they had attacked a little old man without cause. Not only that, but also it was a way to persuade Anakin to join the cause.

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 09:37 PM
Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote