KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » KotOR the movie

KotOR the movie
Started by: Shoes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shoes

KotOR the movie

Why not?

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Shoes a Private Message Find more posts by Shoes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Serge
Restricted

Account Restricted

((As in why we wouldn't want it))

The fact that its story really wasn't very good in the first place? Factor in that a lot of its appeal lies in the choice based non linearity behind its storyline, adapting it into a linear storytelling format where the audience has no influence over the story would not be a good thing.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 06:29 PM
Click here to Send Serge a Private Message Find more posts by Serge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

I believe that its more that your average SW fan would go wut? When the trailers appeared on the big screens. Not to mention that Lucas pays very little attention to the EU and even if he did, isn't going to put out the money to make a movie out of a story he didn't write.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2010 07:08 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Serge
((As in why we wouldn't want it))

The fact that its story really wasn't very good in the first place? Factor in that a lot of its appeal lies in the choice based non linearity behind its storyline, adapting it into a linear storytelling format where the audience has no influence over the story would not be a good thing.
I thought that the story was fine. Since he already got b&, can someone who agrees with him please tell me what's wrong with the story? I think that one thing that would be kind of cool is if they released it on DVD, and for each major decision, the movie would pause and you could choose the light or darkside choice. I wouldn't expect them to do this for every little decision though, and they could skip a lot of the fighting, but I think that a more realistic depiction of Taris/Dantooine/Kasshyk/Korriban/Maanan/Tatooine (already done but still...Krait dragon) would be really cool, if they spent time producing it well.

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 09:32 PM
Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Won Fei Fon
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's not so much about what's wrong with the story but rather what little there is right with it. In short: a simplistic, generic story, with little to no depth, mediocre art direction and music, extremely poor comic relief, and a non linear storyline which by its very nature lacks vision and a sense of meaning given events don't necessarily occur in a given way as they are thematically supposed to in accordance with the vision of the storyteller but rather in a number of variables ways in accordance with the player's influence over the storyline, and that's not even touching upon how brainless the different choices that are laid out before you are, each one mirroring a stereotypical and often exaggerated alignment (evil options being over the top evil in completely melodramatic fashion for example).

The second game in the series is the far superior of the two given that it actually possesses what can be considered a strong level of depth in its storyline while also exploring aspects of the SW mythology that haven't ever been explored in an original manner. It's also the weakest game in Bioware's library.

You Shall Be As Gods

New #1 Enemy: Hewhoknowsall

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Won Fei Fon a Private Message Find more posts by Won Fei Fon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Originally posted by Won Fei Fon
It's not so much about what's wrong with the story but rather what little there is right with it. In short: a simplistic, generic story, with little to no depth, mediocre art direction and music, extremely poor comic relief, and a non linear storyline which by its very nature lacks vision and a sense of meaning given events don't necessarily occur in a given way as they are thematically supposed to in accordance with the vision of the storyteller but rather in a number of variables ways in accordance with the player's influence over the storyline, and that's not even touching upon how brainless the different choices that are laid out before you are, each one mirroring a stereotypical and often exaggerated alignment (evil options being over the top evil in completely melodramatic fashion for example).

The second game in the series is the far superior of the two given that it actually possesses what can be considered a strong level of depth in its storyline while also exploring aspects of the SW mythology that haven't ever been explored in an original manner. It's also the weakest game in Bioware's library.
I suppose you're right when you say that it is simplistic, but I wouldn't say that the line of events doesn't make any sense. It's actually a very straghtforward, and well-ordered storyline in my opinion. Like I said, they could cut most of the minor events out, but all Bioware was trying to do was add gameplay time. Admittedly, when cut down to the foundation, it is a very generic storyline, but I thought that it was still well done, and a fun game to play. If Lucasarts ended up making it, I think that the majority of star wars fans would buy it, whether it had a deep and convoluted plot or not. As for your last sentence, did you mean KOTOR 2, KOTOR 1, or the entire series?

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 10:58 PM
Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Won Fei Fon
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's also the weakest game in Bioware's library? KOTOR 1. KOTOR 2's developed by Obsidian Entertainment I believe.

You Shall Be As Gods

New #1 Enemy: Hewhoknowsall

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 11:10 PM
Click here to Send Won Fei Fon a Private Message Find more posts by Won Fei Fon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

KotOR's a simple, straight-forward game, and I can appreciate that they made it so. It's not graphically beautiful, it's not a mind-bending story full of intrigue and mystery, it's not the greatest action mechanics, but it's all around decent. Good voice-acting, simple fighting style, easy menus, interesting stories (and from a Star Wars fan's perspective, it's fun to see how it all relate to the wider mythos), believable characters (as whiny and annoying as Carth/Mission may be, the fact that they pulled it off so well deserves kudos)...

It'll never be hailed as a revolutionary game or the one of the greats, but it's replay value is solid.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Too little information on the characters. For those who played the games, the movie would be ruined. I hate movies whose story line has been altered.

War Doctor

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 11:18 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Originally posted by Won Fei Fon
It's also the weakest game in Bioware's library? KOTOR 1. KOTOR 2's developed by Obsidian Entertainment I believe.
Right, duh...I should have been able to figure that one out. Anyways, It is a multiple award winning game, so BIOWARE must be doing something right.
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Too little information on the characters. For those who played the games, the movie would be ruined. I hate movies whose story line has been altered.
I thought that there was plenty of information on the characters. I got the full story on each one of them, or at least everything that I wondered about them, except maybe Zaalbar, but nobody really minded when they left Chewie undeveloped in the OT. I would also hate it if they altered the story at all in the making of the movie, but if they didn't, I still think it would be interesting to see who they chose to play the characters, and how it would look with live action characters as opposed to animated ones.

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 21st, 2010 12:04 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
I thought that there was plenty of information on the characters. I got the full story on each one of them, or at least everything that I wondered about them, except maybe Zaalbar, but nobody really minded when they left Chewie undeveloped in the OT. I would also hate it if they altered the story at all in the making of the movie, but if they didn't, I still think it would be interesting to see who they chose to play the characters, and how it would look with live action characters as opposed to animated ones.
There would be too little information in a movie. A 3 hour movie couldn't convey what the game does. It would just wind up being another Clash of the Titans: all about the main protagonist and the main antagonist. Little to nothing about the other Gods party members.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2010 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Agreed Lucien.

War Doctor

Old Post Apr 21st, 2010 06:40 PM
Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Going back to my "interactive dvd" post, perhaps there would be a point where you could choose you're two fav. party members, and then those would be the ones with their backgrounds revealed

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 21st, 2010 09:48 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

That'd be fine as a DVD, not as a movie.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2010 10:07 PM
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

So, if it was a DVD, would anyone here buy it? I know that I would.

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 01:11 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

If the movie was still decent, of course. But from a marketing perspective, it would be downright stupid to include buttf*ck nothing on the characters, and then demand people buy the DVD of the shitty movie just so it will be a little less so. And that's called pissing people off to the point where they abandon you.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 01:22 AM
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
If the movie was still decent, of course. But from a marketing perspective, it would be downright stupid to include buttf*ck nothing on the characters, and then demand people buy the DVD of the shitty movie just so it will be a little less so. And that's called pissing people off to the point where they abandon you.
Truth. Plus, its not gonna be made anyways, but based on Lucas and co.'s recent work, I can't really trust them to make a good story anymore.

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 01:49 AM
Shoes

They make Revan female.

Darkside.

RATED R

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 02:28 AM
Click here to Send Shoes a Private Message Find more posts by Shoes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

[Fanboy] In all honesty...Screw Star Wars...[SPOILER - highlight to read]: We Need The Halo Movie!!!!!!![/Fanboy]

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 07:26 AM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Originally posted by mattatom
[Fanboy] In all honesty...Screw Star Wars...[SPOILER - highlight to read]: We Need The Halo Movie!!!!!!![/Fanboy]
Well, that's already coming out so...why screw star wars?

I got everything!

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 10:01 AM