KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Most Epic Lightsaber Duel

Most Epic Lightsaber Duel
Started by: Rebel95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rebel95

Most Epic Lightsaber Duel

I'd say either obi wan vs anakin or luke vs vader in ESB
What do you think?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 05:13 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

ESB.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 05:41 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jinsoku Takai
CIT Network Technician

Kenobi vs Darth Vader (RotS)

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 06:28 PM
Click here to Send Jinsoku Takai a Private Message Find more posts by Jinsoku Takai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

For choreography, the Duel of Fates. For emotion, the ESB duel. For both, the duel in the Senate.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 07:49 PM
Click here to Send SlightlyFlaccid a Private Message Find more posts by SlightlyFlaccid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SlightlyFlaccid
For both, the duel in the Senate.
Because we can't help but care so deeply about two cares whose fates we've already seen in the OT. Especially when one of them is two-dimensional, boring old Yoda.

Something about you, Droopy... I can feel an immense love of Palpatine. And I sense something. Something I've not felt since...

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 08:09 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lord Lucien, with addendum
Because we can't help but care so deeply about two carescharacters whose fates we've already seen in the OT and who, unlike Vader and Luke, know how to wield a lightsaber in a battle that directly decides the fate of the galaxy. Thank you for your contribution, Mr. Flaccid; I hope you appreciate my thoughtful response because I'd hate to troll.

You're quite welcome. no expression

quote:
Lord Lucien
Something about you, Droopy... I can feel an immense love of Palpatine. And I sense something. Something I've not felt since...

...This thread, in which you cemented your own love for Palpatine? Projection, son, is a terrible, terrible thing. laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 09:24 PM
Click here to Send SlightlyFlaccid a Private Message Find more posts by SlightlyFlaccid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

ESB duel.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 09:30 PM
Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would also like to submit all of Darth Tyranus's duels in Attack of the Clones for consideration as, in some regards, it marked the beginning of the end of the Jedi order and the Republic.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 09:35 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

You're quite welcome. no expression

...This thread, in which you cemented your own love for Palpatine? Projection, son, is a terrible, terrible thing. laughing out loud
You're skillful use of the color red and acknowledgement that Palpatine is the bee's knees pleases me.

But don't try to frighten us with your Sockerish ways, E-D. You're failed attempt to rationalize the results of Palpatine's duel with Yoda as anything but a foregone conclusion haven't helped you appreciate the fruitlessness of it's choreographically majesty, nor has it helped you to--*ach!* *chokes on massive, but lifeless cock*

"Gobble gobble gobble dead."

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 10:20 PM
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lord Lucien
You're skillful use of the color red and acknowledgement that Palpatine is the bee's knees pleases me.

I'm pleased even moar, so there. no expression

quote:
Lord Lucien
But don't try to frighten us with your Sockerish ways, E-D. You're failed attempt to rationalize the results of Palpatine's duel with Yoda as anything but a foregone conclusion haven't helped you appreciate the fruitlessness of it's choreographically majesty, nor has it helped you to--*ach!* *chokes on massive, but lifeless cock*

"Gobble gobble gobble dead."

Admiral Motti was not, in fact, a turkey. no expression

And because I can't quite think of an iconic scene to mimic... sad

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Because we definitely figured that Vader was going to kill Luke and the rebellion would be smashed, right? The reality of the situation is that I consider the duel in the Senate to be all around more 'epic' because of its vastly more impressive choreography and its importance to the film and the story of the entire saga: The duel in the Senate decided the fate of the galaxy between two Masters of the Force. (The duels arguably as or more important would be the confrontation at Endor [which isn't exactly a duel] or the duel in Palpatine's office [which had absolutely appalling choreography].) The duel on Cloud City was emotionally compelling because of the much more intimate relationship between Vader and Luke, but it was as much of a victim of foregone conclusion as the one between Yoda and Sidious. Why isn't it my choice? The same reason why Mace vs. Sidious isn't: Choreography. Seeing a neophyte punk battle an unimpressive robot with all the skill of what appears to be the least talented special ed. student trying to pick a fight with the second-to-last special ed. student isn't exactly thrilling or epic to me. But don't let my heretic ways interrupt your RLM-induced OT-fanboy delirium. o snap wut now

Last edited by SlightlyFlaccid on Jun 21st, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 10:34 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Oh. I look at it more from a personal emotional point of view. I myself couldn't care too deeply about the characters in the Senate duel, because I went in to it knowing they'd both be fine. I knew what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed. Or surprised.

The fight with Luke and Vader I had no idea. Luke was losing, clearly. He had no help coming, and Vader wanted him dead or alive. I didn't know the fate of the characters in this one, so it was a more compelling and engaging situation to watch.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 10:39 PM
SlightlyFlaccid
Restricted

Account Restricted

Certainly there's much more compelling emotion between Vader and Luke; Yoda's beef with Sidious is just as legitimate, but far less intimate: There's no emotion there other than the desperation of both combatants to win. With Luke and Vader, there is anger, fear, frustration, sadness, defeat, etc. and it runs the whole gamut.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2011 10:43 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I'd say RotJ Luke versus Vader. Even though Vader was clearly just out to piss Luke off and throwing the fight, the energy and emotion surrounding the fight was very powerful and epic in a legend-ending sense.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 02:23 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

RotJ's duel is my favorite. Just so much raw emotion... Amazing!

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 02:25 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I would also like to submit all of Darth Tyranus's duels in Attack of the Clones for consideration as, in some regards, it marked the beginning of the end of the Jedi order and the Republic.

no expression

The duel between Dooku and Anakin was appalling... The worst duel in the entire series bar none.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 02:30 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Very anti-climatic.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 03:07 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Very much so. I understand completely the context in which these fights are taking place, and their in-story significance to the characters and plot, but unfortunately the problems lie in the sub-par writing and execution of the scenes. I've never been able to bring myself to care about any of the characters in the prequels, the exception being Palpatine. But even his duels were cursed with the audience's prior knowledge that he will survive them, and he will emerge as Emperor, no matter what.

No real tension or drama is present in the EP. II and III duels, because I know Obi and Anakin, and Yoda and Sidious will survive. And Dooku in the films hadn't been present long enough, and built in to a identifiable presence for me to care about. Even the Duel of Fates had more---though I knew Qui-Gon couldn't survive the prequels, he was still a character whose fate remained unknown going in to film. I spent much of my first viewing silently wondering just how and when Jinn was going to die, and added a very small, very needed amount of attachment to the character's existence.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 03:19 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

thumb up

Certainly there's much more compelling emotion between Vader and Luke; Yoda's beef with Sidious is just as legitimate, but far less intimate: There's no emotion there other than the desperation of both combatants to win. With Luke and Vader, there is anger, fear, frustration, sadness, defeat, etc. and it runs the whole gamut.

thumb up

ROTJ duel personally.

Other good ones: ESB Luke vs Vader, Bane vs Sirak, Bane vs Kas'im, Bane vs The Jedi, Scout vs Whie (<3 Dark Rendevous), Grievous vs The Jedi Masters, Anakin vs Assajj Ventress (CWC fight), Revan vs Malak, Exar Kun vs Ulic Qel'Droma, Ulic Qel'Droma vs Sylvar and Galen Marek vs Vader (TFU1).

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 12:57 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

honestly who cares if you know they survive? that doesnt really change anything...

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 05:27 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Rebel95
honestly who cares if you know they survive? that doesnt really change anything...
It doesn't change the visuals, but it changes the mood. If there's supposed to be tension and angst conveyed to the audience, it doesn't work if the outcome is already known. Like watching a horror film that you've seen before. The shock value is lessened if you know what's coming.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2011 07:28 PM