KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What do you think of the various EU makers?

What do you think of the various EU makers?
Started by: Q99

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

What do you think of the various EU makers?

Bantam (pre-NJO EU novels), Del Rey (all novels after that), Dark Horse (most comics), Marvel (early comics), Bioware.

Which makers of EU stuff do you like the most? Any you particularly don't like?

Old Post Jul 19th, 2011 08:53 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Bioware. KotOR FTW.

I've started reading the Dark Empire series for the first time and am having a helluva time willing myself to slog through them. So I guess Dark Horse is one I'm not partial to (though I know they improved eventually), because Dark Empire just plain sucks.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2011 12:16 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Bioware. KotOR FTW.

I've started reading the Dark Empire series for the first time and am having a helluva time willing myself to slog through them. So I guess Dark Horse is one I'm not partial to (though I know they improved eventually), because Dark Empire just plain sucks.

Yea, early DH is not nearly on the level of later DH. I would highly recommend their PT era comics (the long-running one called 'Republic', though the trades say either just "Star Wars" or eventually "Star Wars the Clone Wars"), their KotoR and Legacy comics, and their The Old Republic comics.

KotoR comic especially tends to be a lot of people's favs.

Overall DH is my favorite. And of the book makers, Bantam's era was less consistent but had more good stuff than Del Rey's IMO.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2011 12:42 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaedusRules

Originally posted by Q99
Yea, early DH is not nearly on the level of later DH. I would highly recommend their PT era comics (the long-running one called 'Republic', though the trades say either just "Star Wars" or eventually "Star Wars the Clone Wars"), their KotoR and Legacy comics, and their The Old Republic comics.

KotoR comic especially tends to be a lot of people's favs.

Overall DH is my favorite. And of the book makers, Bantam's era was less consistent but had more good stuff than Del Rey's IMO.

I cant remember who wrote them, but Bantam had some of the worst books ever... Children of the Jedi... was the most aweful book I have ever read. But then you have the Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn Duology which are the best....

Personally I like Del Rey better. The stories flow together, the series come out at a regular interval... There arent any really bad books. I guess like continuity and consistance better... But the Thrawn Trilogy is still my favorite.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2011 11:08 PM
Click here to Send CaedusRules a Private Message Find more posts by CaedusRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by CaedusRules
I cant remember who wrote them, but Bantam had some of the worst books ever... Children of the Jedi... was the most aweful book I have ever read. But then you have the Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn Duology which are the best....

And the X-wing series, which were my favs.

quote:

Personally I like Del Rey better. The stories flow together, the series come out at a regular interval... There arent any really bad books. I guess like continuity and consistance better... But the Thrawn Trilogy is still my favorite.

I can see arguments for both. Personally I haven't been a big fan of their huge story arcs (Vong went on too long, and all that), but there is something to be said for continuity.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2011 11:40 PM