KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Force Drain: How's it work?

Force Drain: How's it work?
Started by: ChaosTheory123

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Force Drain: How's it work?

I'll preface this with another "I'm bored"

Apparently this is viewed as some kind of instant win around here (hearsay from one of your own)

Let me give you a hypothetical scenario

Say you have some character with DE Sidious' power, yet absolutely no technique for defending against Force Drain

Would this mean a character, say as powerful as Traya, would be able to sap him dry of all his energy instantly, despite not possessing anywhere near the kind of raw power this Sidious approximate does?

If so... how the hell do you conclude that one? :hmm

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2015 11:56 PM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Honestly I think it depends how much energy they can siphon. At someone like Palpatine's level there would simply be too much energy to draw and it'll take a while in comparison to say someone of Sha'Gi's level.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:01 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Merchant
Honestly I think it depends how much energy they can siphon. At someone like Palpatine's level there would simply be too much energy to draw and it'll take a while in comparison to say someone of Sha'Gi's level.

This is basically what I think

Though given you're somewhat aware of the OBD apparently, I imagine you probably knew some of this about how we treat it already :maybe

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:03 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Yeah I agree with the interpretation that Force Drain isn't an instant one-shotting move, though others disagree.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:14 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I don't see how it matters. Even if it doesn't one-shot, the opponent is left with a large portion of their power drained and is continuing to be drained very rapidly. I don't see how they can fight back at that point. It's still an insta-win button.

Also its debate-able if it is a drain but whatever.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:19 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Hence the purpose of the thread :maybe

I want to understand why they may or may not think that

Seems silly to me, especially once you think about the fact Traya's basically a drop of water compared to the ocean that is Sidious

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:19 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

There are conflicting sources on how it works, mainly because it's ambiguous.

In what you're referring to, KOTOR 2, it's described to work as a reverse battle meditation of sorts; taking energy instead of providing it, and instead of just killing you the technique empties you of the Force all together.

The problem with this, though, is that being severed from the Force in such manner is impossible; and worse than that, the game tends to disagree with itself on whether or not losing the Forcce kills someone.

I find more up-to-date sources concerning the technique to be more reliable in terms of mechanics myself, though.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:21 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by Nephthys
I don't see how it matters. Even if it doesn't one-shot, the opponent is left with a large portion of their power drained and is continuing to be drained. I don't see how they can fight back at that point.

Sidious has the power to conjure force storms able to raze planetary surfaces and destroy fleets of ships with shields with around petatons of energy per IIRC

Traya's best feat is being stronger than Surik, who at the most generous interpretation be said to possess teratons of energy for slaying the Greater Storm Beast

Let's think about WHY someone as strong as Sidious wouldn't even notice the loss in energy and stamina as he prepares to smear someone of Traya's power with TK

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:22 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Traya's basically a drop of water compared to the ocean that is Sidious

Uh, not really.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:22 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by NewGuy01
There are conflicting sources on how it works, mainly because it's ambiguous.

In what you're referring to, KOTOR 2, it's described to work as a reverse battle meditation of sorts; taking energy instead of providing it, and instead of just killing you the technique empties you of the Force all together.

The problem with this, though, is that being severed from the Force in such manner is impossible; and worse than that, the game tends to disagree with itself on whether or not losing the Forcce kills someone.

I find more up-to-date sources concerning the technique to be more reliable in terms of mechanics myself, though.

Take your time, though as you described it, it's basically how I interpret it as working

It's limit is how fast a ****er can consume the force energy

A weaker character has a slower rate given they have less power to work with and all that fun shit

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:24 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Uh, not really.

The "no you" style of debate is kind of leaving me wanting chuckles :maybe

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:25 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

The likely answer to the question you're asking depends on the difference in power between the two characters in question. Were any of the Councillors even in Traya's league, it likely wouldn't have been so easy. The scene was portraying the gap between Kreia and the rest, not how awesomesauce drain is; I think the choice of attack was irrelevant to that message.

On another note, we don't even know that Traya hadn't prepared the spell beforehand. Look at Lord Paladius from SWTOR; he does something very similar to Nox, draining his essence, and effectively severing his connection to the Force-albeit much slower. He couldn't do it without prep, though.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:28 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

The likely answer to the question you're asking depends on the difference in power between the two characters in question. Were any of the Councillors even in Traya's league, it likely wouldn't have been so easy.

I imagine it'd have take a bit longer than an instant, yeah.

quote:
On another note, we don't even know that Traya hadn't prepared the spell beforehand. Look at Lord Paladius from SWTOR; he does something very similar to Nox, draining his essence, and effectively severing his connection to the Force-albeit much slower. He couldn't do it without prep, though.

Why make assumptions?

What you see on screen is what you get, inserting speculative variables isn't exactly worthy of occam's razor.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:30 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Which is why it was a suggestion. On a further note, the belief that Traya couldn't insta-drain Sidious in the same manner is also an assumption.

And I have no clue what Occam's Razor is.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:33 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Sidious has the power to conjure force storms able to raze planetary surfaces and destroy fleets of ships with shields with around petatons of energy per IIRC

Traya's best feat is being stronger than Surik, who at the most generous interpretation be said to possess teratons of energy for slaying the Greater Storm Beast

Let's think about WHY someone as strong as Sidious wouldn't even notice the loss in energy and stamina as he prepares to smear someone of Traya's power with TK

Palpatine doesn't exactly rip the surfaces off of planets and destroy ships with his own power though, he uses his power to create a wormhole that does those things through physics and shit. Its like suggesting I can punch
through a wall because I can light a stick of dynamite.

At best I'd say Palpatine is about twice as powerful as Traya. Recall that she casually killed 7 Sith at once seemingly without effort. That kind of power isn't a drop to most anyone's ocean.

You are vaaaaastly overrating Sidious compared to Traya. He would definitely notice at least 3 Jedi Council Members worth of power instantly sucked out of him and continuing to be sucked out of him. If indeed that is how the technique works as opposed to the alternative description which describes it as severing one from the Force, not draining.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:33 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

According to Paladius's explanation, draining does result in the severing of the Force. Can't say that makes much sense, though.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:35 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Paladius' thing isn't the same though.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:36 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

In what way is it different, exactly?

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:38 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Well for one thing its nothing like it at all so there's that.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:40 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Palpatine doesn't exactly rip the surfaces off of planets and destroy ships with his own power though, he uses his power to create a wormhole that does those things through physics and shit. Its like suggesting I can punch
through a wall because I can light a stick of dynamite.

>He creates them through his own power to destroy
>some how not his own energy doing the work
>Uses physics as some kind of dodge despite feat analysis being dependent on physics in the first place... are you insinuating its a ****ing hax?
>Still the strongest force technique ever seen in the mythos, powerscaling to much lesser feats is kind of a given from what I understand.

quote:
At best I'd say Palpatine is about twice as powerful as Traya. Recall that she casually killed 7 Sith at once seemingly without effort. That kind of power isn't a drop to most anyone's ocean.

And what about these Sith makes them powerful enough to be considered a measuring stick of worth compared to Sidious?

quote:
You are vaaaaastly overrating Sidious compared to Traya. He would definitely notice at least 3 Jedi Council Members worth of power instantly sucked out of him and continuing to be sucked out of him. If indeed that is how the technique works as opposed to the alternative description which describes it as severing one from the Force, not draining.

And your basis for concluding I'm overrating him is?

You said so?

Come on now chuckles, substance is sorely lacking here. Feats, give me a reason to think she can drain the energy he has at his disposal if left defenseless before he just tears her head off with his mind. :maybe

Which is why it was a suggestion. On a further note, the belief that Traya couldn't insta-drain Sidious in the same manner is also an assumption.

Not really how it works

Traya has a shown limit to the kind of power she herself can actually harness.

That amount of energy is dwarfed by how much force power someone like Sidious would have to draw upon.

quote:
And I have no clue what Occam's Razor is.

This

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 12:45 AM