KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Slugthrowers and round caliber?

Slugthrowers and round caliber?
Started by: Zenwolf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zenwolf

Slugthrowers and round caliber?

So because this is bugging me, due to a debate.

But does anyone know if there is any actual noted Slugthrower caliber rounds in SW?

I know there is the .48 caliber, used in the Enforcer pistol. But that's all I know....

So does anyone have any novel or comic that shows various caliber rounds in Slugthrowers?

Also speed at which Slugthrowers fire their rounds?

Because my sourcebooks are kinda turning up empty with that particular info.

Thanks.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 04:39 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kallig

Shatterpoint novel directly states they fire hypersonic rounds, I don't remember if the indication or quality or size of the caliber used is ever mentioned.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 04:45 AM
Click here to Send Kallig a Private Message Find more posts by Kallig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kallig
Shatterpoint novel directly states they fire hypersonic rounds, I don't remember if the indication or quality or size of the caliber used is ever mentioned.

Is that in general for Slugthrowers, or was it a specific rifle/pistol?

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 04:46 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

I know they didn't look particularly large in the Dawn of the Jedi comics for that on feat where that one Je'daii blocked one with her hand.

Been a while since I saw the feat though.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 04:48 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kallig

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Is that in general for Slugthrowers, or was it a specific rifle/pistol?

It was just a general narrative statement, the velocity and travel speed of the bullets/slugs themselves. The model and types being fired from are never specified.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 06:08 AM
Click here to Send Kallig a Private Message Find more posts by Kallig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

It was just a general narrative statement, the velocity and travel speed of the bullets/slugs themselves. The model and types being fired from are never specified.

Hmm...yeah I got the Shatterpoint novel now...yeah, that's pretty insane, hypersonic slugs...jeez..

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 06:36 AM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

And even then for Jedi to block as many as they do is impressive considering they're small, almost impossible to see and a lot faster than blaster bolts.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 06:50 AM
Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by KingD19
And even then for Jedi to block as many as they do is impressive considering they're small, almost impossible to see and a lot faster than blaster bolts.

Where is it said that they are faster than blaster bolts? I have it, them being roughly the same speed.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 06:54 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Where is it said that they are faster than blaster bolts? I have it, them being roughly the same speed.

No where

Some fans just got the stupid notion in their head that because we can see them clearly on screen that we're watching a given scene in real time :maybe

These same fans also don't know how fast asteroids in orbit around a star move either, but what the hell do I know? :lmao

Same with debris around a planet

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 06:56 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
No where

Some fans just got the stupid notion in their head that because we can see them clearly on screen that we're watching a given scene in real time :maybe

These same fans also don't know how fast asteroids in orbit around a star move either, but what the hell do I know? :lmao

Same with debris around a planet

Figures, but just wanted to make sure.

Although...this is pretty interesting now, now that I have that quote, I also have some quotes regarding blaster bolt speed and projectile speed.

Taking into all that now...the speed between the two is now more clear to me.

You may still have to do thinking on it, but now I can see it more clearly than I could beforehand.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 07:00 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Figures, but just wanted to make sure.

Although...this is pretty interesting now, now that I have that quote, I also have some quotes regarding blaster bolt speed and projectile speed.

Taking into all that now...the speed between the two is now more clear to me.

You may still have to do thinking on it, but now I can see it more clearly than I could beforehand.

For the hell of it, here's a pair of blaster speed feats from TCW that stood out as hilariously fast to me back when I was going through it.

This one showcased at least similar speed (really much higher) than the orbital velocity of the debris field around the planet

This one is arguably the fastest one I've found period. I say arguable given some ****ers might want to argue the craft aren't moving that fast despite previous showings making obvious they can

Not saying these are the end all be all, I'm sure there are plenty of slower feats that can contradict these, just thought they were fun examples :maybe

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 07:11 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
For the hell of it, here's a pair of blaster speed feats from TCW that stood out as hilariously fast to me back when I was going through it.

This one showcased at least similar speed (really much higher) than the orbital velocity of the debris field around the planet

This one is arguably the fastest one I've found period. I say arguable given some ****ers might want to argue the craft aren't moving that fast despite previous showings making obvious they can

Not saying these are the end all be all, I'm sure there are plenty of slower feats that can contradict these, just thought they were fun examples :maybe

On a note, I did find a pretty awesome feat for a Jedi Knight(Laranth Tarak) in Courscant Night, she was tagging both blaster bolt and slugthrower rounds with her blasters. It being noted by Den as being utterly impossible.

If Slugthrowers fire bullets at hypersonic rounds, which in Shatterpoint, there wasn't any mention of any special rifles or railguns, it was just as Kall said...was a narrative statement.

Then that is one ridiculous feat, it was a character feat sure so we can't say all Jedi would be able to do this. But....the point being that, she was able to see them to tag them with her blasters, so clearly Jedi can see Slugthrowers, and there is also a quote that Jedi do learn to block/deflect Slugthrower rounds.

Mace as I recall in Shatterpoint was also seeing and reacting to the slugs too.

There's also the case of Laranth, if slugs were indeed faster than bolts, I don't think she would have been able to tag both blaster bolts and slugs simultaneously, yet no slug or bolt passed by.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 12:05 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Archaic weapons fire hypersonic projectiles in Star Wars?

Awesome.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 12:45 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ILS
Archaic weapons fire hypersonic projectiles in Star Wars?

Awesome.

I PM'd ya the quote on CV. :P

But yeah....tis ridiculous.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 12:50 PM
Zenwolf

Btw, one more thing.

Does anyone know any novels or comics, where slugs are shown to be ineffective against armor?

I know in the Han Solo Trilogy there is an instance, where Han uses a Slugthrower carbine and it does nothing to a guy's armor. But I'm curious if there's any other showings, that someone may know of?

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 04:31 PM
Revanchiste

Verpin shatter gun... XD !!

Well if it's a big caliber or an enegectic slug or contain explosiv.... No matter how resitant your arùmord his you are gonna to take some dammages !!

Last edited by Revanchiste on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 07:45 PM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2015 07:43 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

So now that some time has passed, I have learned some interesting things regarding Slugthrowers.

1. They use magnetic pulse accelerators to increase the slug speed/velocity, this fits with the whole hypersonic thing.

2. Slugs are shown to be ineffective against Stormtrooper armor as of Tatooine Ghost, several Stormtroopers were hit from Tusken rifles in their armor spots chest/legs, the same ones that were taking out Podracers in EP 1 and all that happened were said Stormtroopers being knocked down and getting up in an instant. Han and Leia who were also wearing the same armor, were also just knocked down but were able to get right back up.

Still no info on round caliber, will probably never have any noted caliber rounds aside from the .48 with the Enforcer pistol...but oh well I suppose.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 08:12 PM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2015 08:09 PM
Revanchiste

Yhea even the little ACP-repition rifle wich is just a small trandoshan uzi.. Use pulse accelerators XD in rapid fire !!!!

Well for the caliber read republic commando novels again...

"the armor HIS" WTF? What did I write???? If could still edit...

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2015 09:47 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I'm not seeing any noted caliber rounds in the RC novels.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2015 03:37 AM
Revanchiste

It must have a flashback that describe it somewhere....
No?

Old Post Apr 4th, 2015 08:08 AM