KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Rataka, good as they are said?

The Rataka, good as they are said?
Started by: Zenwolf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zenwolf

The Rataka, good as they are said?

So here I'm trying to figure out something, I'm trying to figure as to why the Rakata are somehow better than the later eras of government/organization in regarding technology and the like.

From what I gathered, it's because of 2 things..

1. The Starforge

2. Terraforming planets

Now the 2nd point, ok I get that because as far as I know, no other era has done so because well there really isn't a need.

But this thread is more to the military part of the Rakata. I'm recalling a few old posts on the net regarding whenever they are in a battle that they would just stomp any other era, because their tech was so vast and great, etc and so on.

But the thing is....I'm not seeing any tech that is greater than anything the later eras show.

I mean the only thing the Rakata have...is the Starforge to build stuff...which is great but their ships weren't entirely impressive. Unless I've missed something.

It seems to me, that they only seemed impressive because during their time...they were the big fish in the small pond so to speak as none could really directly challenge them.

I mean hyperdrives, shielding, droids, etc....it's not impressive for them when looking at later eras who have it and also having a more refined and better utilization of technology.

So I have missed something?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:01 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

A lot of their tech used the Force or was powered by Force users. That's why it was so l33t.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:20 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
A lot of their tech used the Force or was powered by Force users. That's why it was so l33t.

Ok...so? How would that make it any better than later tech?

Also wouldn't that kind of be a glaring flaw?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:26 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Re: The Rataka, good as they are said?

Originally posted by Zenwolf
So here I'm trying to figure out something, I'm trying to figure as to why the Rakata are somehow better than the later eras of government/organization in regarding technology and the like.

From what I gathered, it's because of 2 things..

1. The Starforge

2. Terraforming planets

Now the 2nd point, ok I get that because as far as I know, no other era has done so because well there really isn't a need.

But this thread is more to the military part of the Rakata. I'm recalling a few old posts on the net regarding whenever they are in a battle that they would just stomp any other era, because their tech was so vast and great, etc and so on.

But the thing is....I'm not seeing any tech that is greater than anything the later eras show.

I mean the only thing the Rakata have...is the Starforge to build stuff...which is great but their ships weren't entirely impressive. Unless I've missed something.

It seems to me, that they only seemed impressive because during their time...they were the big fish in the small pond so to speak as none could really directly challenge them.

I mean hyperdrives, shielding, droids, etc....it's not impressive for them when looking at later eras who have it and also having a more refined and better utilization of technology.

So I have missed something?

There technology is based on the force everything even their hyperdrive.... They massivly use slave like America ! Yhea and America is doing pretty good on an economic level.

They are all force sensitives (before than a virus show up create by human sientist to especialy exterminate them...)

They ****ing use force knowledge..

They begin to use machine toreplace their slave.. There a Rakattas philosophe who make many tome on how bad it is to try to replace organic by machine....

They rule the galaxy longer than the republic exist !!!! It take time for them to build their own empire !

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:31 AM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The Force is more powerful than that pedestrian shit, bro. It can do all kinds of crazy crap.

Well yeah, its a big part of why their civilisation collapsed iirc. Doesn't make their tech any less sweet though.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:32 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Rakattas are force sensitiv it allow them to prohibite access to their slave......
Vader said than the death star was a toy in comparason of the force...

You forget than they have also the time...
On there side.... They old the galaxy for 20 000 years !!!!

The republic hold the eastern part for 4 000 years....

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:34 AM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

The Force is more powerful than that pedestrian shit, bro. It can do all kinds of crazy crap.

Well yeah, its a big part of why their civilisation collapsed iirc. Doesn't make their tech any less sweet though.

Ok but it's still not answered....how is their tech better than later era tech?....Just being powered by the Force...doesn't cut it, that just means they didn't have another way to power their tech, which is fine.

But I don't see how it makes any of their tech greater than what other era tech has shown.

Unless their is a showing of their tech, that hasn't been already shown by later tech. The whole Force powered tech, doesn't really mean anything other than that it's just a way to power said technology.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:35 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Are you asking for why their tech is better or why we should consider their tech better? Because the answer to the first one is "it's just better", theres no revelation there. It's like asking why our tech is better than the Romans, we're just more advanced. The second one is that the Rakata has the tech to influence whole systems, create infinite armies and fleets, engineer half the prominent species in SW, defeat and contain the World Razer etc etc.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:40 AM
Zenwolf

Are you asking for why their tech is better or why we should consider their tech better? Because the answer to the first one is "it's just better", theres no revelation there. It's like asking why our tech is better than the Romans, we're just more advanced. The second one is that the Rakata has the tech to influence whole systems, create infinite armies and fleets, engineer half the prominent species in SW, defeat and contain the World Razer etc etc.

I'm asking why is their tech military wise is considered better than the later eras.

IE: Shielding, Droids, Ships, etc etc

Because I'm not really seeing why. Sure they can create infinite things...but the quality of it, is what I'm trying to figure out.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:44 AM
Revanchiste

Hum isn't that obvious than Dark side is realy agressive and then most of the benefit are military oriented?
Look at sith technology based on the Dark side and remanant of Rakattan technology as an holonet member... I know than sith tech = quality.

Mandalorian Sith Zabrak Chiss and all those Dark oriented species or factions devlopped powerfull weapons... I've seen 379 guns... And I know each faction that produce the best guns.

Trust me I'm an holonet elite memeber and star wars tech is my domain...

Or you can see this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQhYXhRKl0

P.S : at the end of there empire they begin to devloppe new weapon that needn't the use of the force.... They devlopped the first blaster rifles wich are really powerfull...

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 12:52 AM
The Merchant

They're not lol. They're incredibly over-rated. Star Forge is good and all but really the Galactic Empire should be able to create something similar WITHOUT the need of an outside power-source to feed the machine. The Death Star's power generation is stated to be equal to hundreds of Super-Giant stars. The OT era is way more advanced than the Rakata's era. The only thing they could be superior to is the OR era's Sith Empire and the Republic. They also have teleportation but I recall reading somewhere that the only reason why teleportation doesn't exist in SW has to do with morality rather than them not being able to.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:21 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Oh as for the "quality" of things well originally Leviathan-class ships were supposed to be Rakatan ships and they apparently were equal to a Victory-class Star Destroyer. That was retconn'd however. We see their ships during Dawn of the Jedi and all their orbital bombardments did was cause some forest fires.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:23 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

It is staten than rakatta technology still in competition with new republic era.....

Leviathan or better I say interceptor ARE OLD REPUBLIC DESIGN SHIP !!!!!!!!

Saul Karath brought one to Revan who sacrified the ship to mass produce it.. The star forge eat the ship to obtain the plan and it mass produce it...

You are wrong so wrong !!!
May dueling is your domain technology is my main domain !!!

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:27 AM
The Merchant

New republic era? I'm pretty sure that the only comparison that the Rakata ever had with any other faction was when Malgus said that their tech was better than theirs. And he was amazed cause of some power generator that the Rakata built that was just Hypermatter technology essentially, which the OT era pretty much refined way better than any other era.

Also yeah I know the SF if it gets any plans for a ship it can built and mass-produce it. I know the SF in general is really powerful, but that's the Rakata's crowning jewel. The GE created artificial Planets to give away to their best men, so why is that so impressive? The only reason why the GE never invested in something like that is seriously just cause no one ever took the time to realize that the Empire's industrial capacities is freaking huge.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:35 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by The Merchant
Oh as for the "quality" of things well originally Leviathan-class ships were supposed to be Rakatan ships and they apparently were equal to a Victory-class Star Destroyer. That was retconn'd however. We see their ships during Dawn of the Jedi and all their orbital bombardments did was cause some forest fires.

Q, was that ever sourced? I don't recall any source noting about the Leviathan being = to a Victory destroyer and even then, that equality is kinda vague...equal in what exactly?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:39 AM
The Merchant

IIRC it was in the New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology. Also I shouldn't have said equal, but it was said to be comparable to a Victory-II class Star Destroyer in terms of power.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:44 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by The Merchant

Only forest fires?

Are you sure you're not just citing a low end?

Because this is considerable above "forest fire"

KOTOR1 also shows gigaton level explosions on Taris during your first space battle on the Ebon Hawk

Pay attention to the background event, its easy to miss them

Last edited by ChaosTheory123 on Feb 16th, 2015 at 01:56 AM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:53 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

@ Merchant, I'm not seeing anywhere in the Guide about it.

@ Chaos, ok see NOW we are getting somewhere. Anything else you have? Also I'm speaking of strict Rakata tech, not tech infused with rakata stuff. Just the Rakata tech itself.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 01:59 AM
The Merchant

Pretty sure right after that page of that bombing we see the turbolaser blasts hitting the ground and just causing forest-fires.

I already know about the 2nd one, which I see no problem with them. However Leviathans aren't Rakatan ships.

Last edited by The Merchant on Feb 16th, 2015 at 02:04 AM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 02:02 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Only other thing I can offer you is they were technically able to defeat the World Razer

Hearsay for me, but from what I understand?

Historical records in TOR mention that it was something that was able to wreck planets and stars alike?

I can't really confirm that though, I haven't touched TOR.

They're not just big fish in a small pond, most of Star Wars suffers from technological stasis IIRC. Some advances are made in the EU, but little differentiates the powers of capital ships and super weapons from era to era :hmm

Granted, I imagine the GE would probably do just fine and defeat the Rakata, but they're far from weak.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 02:04 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote