KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » New canon, good or bad?

New canon, good or bad?
Started by: WildBantha88

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WildBantha88

New canon, good or bad?

Even though the new canon is only just begun I would like your opinion on whether it is being handled well or poorly. Please explain why you feel this way

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 03:21 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I think it's kinda early even for that.

But eh....it's slippery. I'm digging the Vader solo even if it's only 1 issue in, Rebels is...a mixed bag for me, I like it at times, others not so much.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 03:24 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Love the fact that there's a story group now to keep it all consistent.

Technically there was before as well, but problem was Lucas would ignore them and do his own thing (which he was perfectly entitled to do) when it came to the higher canon mediums.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 03:29 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Son of Dathomir was meh, in all honesty. As the first piece of canon EU it didn't do much in the grand scheme of things, and the one thing we were all hoping for it to succeed in (epic fights between characters who have never clashed blades before), it ultimately failed in.

Rebels I have enjoyed so far, but I also acknowledge that it is nothing other than movie-filler (not necessarily a bad thing for everyone).

The new comics have been solid so far. The essence of the OT crew has been captured well in what will hopefully be a fresh set of stories. Vader and the Emperor are characterized perfectly by Aaron, and by including Boba Fett and a brand-new bounty hunter in Vader's first issue, my interest has been captured perpetually.

The novels appear to be equally if not more interesting, with them exploring lesser-used characters such as Ventress (who has always played the role of antagonist opposed to protag), Quinlan Vos, Tarkin and so on.

I think the success of the new canon hinges almost entirely on how well the movies do.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 03:30 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Yeah, SoD was pretty underwhelming.

Everything else is pretty good for the most part. Rebels, Tarkin, Marvel's Star Wars and Vader, etc. The "new canon" seems promising.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 04:23 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I just caught up on the new Marvel comics and honestly, they're pretty quality. I enjoyed them a lot more than I expected to.

Rebels is another story.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 05:21 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Please share your story, Trocity.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 05:22 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Trocity
I just caught up on the new Marvel comics and honestly, they're pretty quality. I enjoyed them a lot more than I expected to.
How did you react to seeing the Imperial Guards, looking badass and standing and shit?

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 05:25 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Originally posted by |King Joker|
Please share your story, Trocity.

Rebels just isn't... I dunno, serious? enough for me. Granted, I only watched the first few episodes, but in one of the early episodes, the ease with which Ezra tricks the stormtroopers and escapes from his cell and just other little things. It's too geared towards younger children imo, but like I said, I'm sure it gets more serious and interesting later on, I just haven't really stuck with it.

Originally posted by ILS
How did you react to seeing the Imperial Guards, looking badass and standing and shit?

LOL. They really are BA background scenery.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 05:39 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

It's very much like TCW; it's not particularly good right now, save for the episode where Tarkin debuted, but I have confidence that it will improve in later seasons.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 06:03 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Personally I really like it. It isn't super serious, and I don't think it should be. The original movies weren't and I find myself deeply responding to how similar Rebels feels to it in terms of tone. The stormtroopers were kind of derps there as well if you'll recall.

I'm also liking the slightly lower stakes and more personal feel. Again, it's reminding me a lot of ANH where it's not all CHOSEN ONE GREAT HERO EPIC JOURNEY and is more about about people trying to make a difference and their personal struggles against an evil force that utterly dwarfs them.

Last edited by Nephthys on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 06:18 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 06:10 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

ares834 is online now!

Originally posted by Trocity
Rebels just isn't... I dunno, serious? enough for me. Granted, I only watched the first few episodes, but in one of the early episodes, the ease with which Ezra tricks the stormtroopers and escapes from his cell and just other little things. It's too geared towards younger children imo, but like I said, I'm sure it gets more serious and interesting later on, I just haven't really stuck with it.

It's a very good show. Far better than TCW. Yes, the first few episodes weren't all that great. I actually recall being disgusted by the first episode. But it really comes into its own about half away through season 1.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 06:19 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

TCW was a pretty good show though. I might watch Rebels if it's "much better."

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 06:41 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

It isn't. But that's coming from a pretty big fan of TCW so take it as you will.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 08:02 PM
The_Tempest

Trocity

quote:
NewGuy01
It's very much like TCW; it's not particularly good right now, save for the episode where Tarkin debuted, but I have confidence that it will improve in later seasons.

quote:
Nephthys
Personally I really like it. It isn't super serious, and I don't think it should be. The original movies weren't and I find myself deeply responding to how similar Rebels feels to it in terms of tone. The stormtroopers were kind of derps there as well if you'll recall.

I'm also liking the slightly lower stakes and more personal feel. Again, it's reminding me a lot of ANH where it's not all CHOSEN ONE GREAT HERO EPIC JOURNEY and is more about about people trying to make a difference and their personal struggles against an evil force that utterly dwarfs them.

quote:
ares834
It's a very good show. Far better than TCW. Yes, the first few episodes weren't all that great. I actually recall being disgusted by the first episode. But it really comes into its own about half away through season 1.

quote:
FreshestSlice
TCW was a pretty good show though. I might watch Rebels if it's "much better."

quote:
|King Joker|
It isn't. But that's coming from a pretty big fan of TCW so take it as you will.

Rebels is ok. Conceptually, I love the idea of a low-key, low-scale adventure involving cosmically insignificant characters and their struggles against an omnipotent Empire in a galaxy far, far away. Aka Firefly but in Star Wars.

Unfortunately, that's really not what's been delivered. The Empire is portrayed largely as a bunch of incompetent boobs {arguably worse than the Separatists imo} and the inclusion of film characters like Vader, Lando & Tarkin {in a transparent attempt to milk the cash cow} only serves to make the titular rebels more important than what they need to be and consequently make the Star Wars universe smaller. References to major events & characters and, perhaps, eventual cameos by the likes of Vader and Tarkin are all well and good but suffice it to say that these clowns are punching well above their paygrade. Creative issues like shoddy dialogue and questionable pacing that have plagued the franchise for years and years continue to manifest to some degree in Rebels.

On the flipside, the creative authorities behind Rebels aren't suffering from the identity crisis that plagued TCW and have a cohesive, personal narrative that allows for some consistent and engaging character development. So there's that.

Comparing it to TCW, I'd say Rebels is much more consistent in its quality than TCW ever was: it has yet to plummet to the depths TCW did and it's also yet to match its highest points. As lame as some of the episodes are, we aren't getting stories about Threepio & Artoo being kidnapped by bounty hunters in the middle of a shopping spree, thank God. Nor are we getting close to the thrills of "The Lawless."

It's fine imo. Doesn't evoke the same passion in me that TCW did in either its triumphs or failures. My interest in it is mostly clinical. Like most things Star Wars, it's not as good as it could be but it could be worse.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2015 11:51 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Not to mention that, while in TCW we didn't see as much separatist victories as we should have, we did see the republic suffering many casualties, making the "bad guys" seem far more threatening than what we will see from the Empire in Rebels, with it now being aired on Disney, which wouldn't be a problem given that it focuses on a small group rather than the galaxy as a whole, but I feel that the early interference of Tarkin is making the small group out to be much more problematic to the empire at large than what they should be, thus making the GE seem less threatening. Like Temp said, small cameo appearances of the higher ranks is all well and good, but not Tarkin's direct involvement in exterminating these particular rebels. I mean, what's next? Tarkin just leaves after exposing the threat Kanan and crew present? So far, I don't like where the show is heading. Hopefully they pull it off.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Nephthys

Problem is...no, they weren't. The GE and Stormtroopers were NEVER incompetent in the movies.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 02:24 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

ares834 is online now!

Da fuq you talking about?

They got their asses handed to them by Teddy bears and were incapable of hitting the broadside of a farm.

Edit: Look at this display of competence!

Last edited by ares834 on Feb 24th, 2015 at 02:32 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 02:28 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ares834
Da fuq you talking about?

They got their asses handed to them by Teddy bears and were incapable of hitting the broadside of a farm.

Yeah, because it's not like they weren't outnumbered or anything, it's not like their mission wasn't to go and just capture a strike force, it's not like they were just fighting Ewoks, no the Ewoks didn't have help from Rebel SpecForce and the top gunslinger in the galaxy and his Wookiee companion or anything, it's not like one of their heavily armed vehicles wasn't stolen and it turned around the entire battle against them.

Also lol at them not being able to hit anything. You must be joking Ares, otherwise you'd know that Stormtroopers made hella accurate shots, one of which was very impressive.

Also amusing, I swear people don't watch movies anymore to see the context behind scenes even when it's spelled out right infront of them.

Luke and co were allowed to leave the DS, hence the reason why the Stormtroopers missed...do you not recall the dialogue literally right after their escape?

It's not like the Empire wasn't trying to find the hidden Rebel base or anything....yeah, they should just kill the guys heading straight for the base instead, that is a completely smart move.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Feb 24th, 2015 at 02:36 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 02:34 AM
WildBantha88

I'm going to make a thread with my thoughts on rebels

Old Post Feb 24th, 2015 02:41 AM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote