KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Did Darth Bane surpass Freedon Nadd

Did Darth Bane surpass Freedon Nadd
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Merchant

Did Darth Bane surpass Freedon Nadd

I recall there being a quote that says Bane muses whether or not he has reached Nadd's level of power. Anyone have it?

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 05:57 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

The quote says that Orbalisk Bane 'felt he stacked up to legendary Sith like Nadd'

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 05:51 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which we know simply isn't true.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 05:59 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Bane > Nadd. So that would be stacking down or something.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 06:15 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

No.

All of Nadd's showings indicate a much more profound and powerful understanding of the force than Bane. Bane was nice enough to pass on his secrets to the succeeding generations of Sith, but in terms of power Bane has nothing on him.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 06:26 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

What showings?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2015 06:30 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage

All of Nadd's showings indicate a much more profound and powerful understanding of the force than Bane.

A list of Nadd's showings:
Fought and killed his Jedi master when she purposefully left an opening for him.

Beat Naga Sadow, likely in ghost form. Alright, we can agree that's a good start!

Unknown incidents in between perhaps where he racked up a body count? Only known info of these incidents a description of a blaster.

Was attacked by a team of Jedi in a pitched battle, lost.

Nadd's ghost lost to Exar Kun.

We are additionally told that he's well-versed in the force powers of the old empire, just as his master Naga Sadow was.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2015 06:56 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote:

Fought and killed his Jedi master when she purposefully left an opening for him.

He fought fairly closely with an extremely talented weapons master before he became Naga Sadow's apprentice, yeah.

quote:
Beat Naga Sadow, likely in ghost form. Alright, we can agree that's a good start!

Indeed, though sources disagree on whether it was Naga's spirit, or if he had preserved himself via stasis. The latter makes more sense considering his spirit supposedly faced Jedi Master Ovair later on.

quote:
Unknown incidents in between perhaps where he racked up a body count? Only known info of these incidents a description of a blaster.

He probably found himself in multiple skirmishes with Jedi during his travels.

Regardless, I think this makes him pretty interesting as a warrior. I mean, an alchemically enhanced blaster pistol as his main weapon? That's pretty unique, and apparently very effective.

quote:
Was attacked by a team of Jedi in a pitched battle, lost.

I imagine it's much like a TOR flashpoint, yeah. thumb up

In fact, the battle itself was probably very similar in nature to Bane's own battle against the Jedi Strike team on Tython. On that thought, it's very likely that he himself donned a suit of Orbalisks during his reign on Onderon, which is an inherent combat advantage.

quote:
We are additionally told that he's well-versed in the force powers of the old empire, just as his master Naga Sadow was.

Indeed, he even has quotes calling him the greatest Sith Sorcerer that had ever lived, (presumably up to his time) and that he had mastered virtually every Force Power, including many that were thought to be lost or hidden. Even if it's not a feat, I find it pretty cool that both Exar Kun and Darth Zannah and others learned most of what they knew about Sorcery from his knowledge base.

quote:
That's it

Let's not forget that even as a spirit, a shell of his former self, he has some pretty viable feats. When Vodo Siosk Baas-one of the most powerful Jedi Masters-attempted to contact his apprentice through their Force Bond, Nadd reached out from across the galaxy, rebutted his attempts, and forced him to his knees. He also healed Exar Kun after the latter had broken countless bones in a rather impressive showing of mastery.

I'm maybe speaking a bit over-enthusiastically, but I really don't think you're giving Freedon Nadd enough credit.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Mar 11th, 2015 at 07:47 PM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2015 07:42 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

He also broke Vodo's/Kuns telepathic link (which extened throughout the galaxy iirc), shattered every bone in Kun's body, stripped Kun of the force iirc, was able to summon Sithspawn to attack Kun, and created two DS nexuses upon his death. He's shown more power in his spirit form than Bane ever did without his orb armor

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 11th, 2015 07:46 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Wasn't it the Sith spirits of Korriban who cut Exar off from the force?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2015 07:57 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by NewGuy01

He probably found himself in multiple skirmishes with Jedi during his travels.

Regardless, I think this makes him pretty interesting as a warrior. I mean, an alchemically enhanced blaster pistol as his main weapon? That's pretty unique, and apparently very effective.

I do wish they'd attached the story to this rather than just do a weapon blurb and leave it to us on how it fits in...

quote:

In fact, the battle itself was probably very similar in nature to Bane's own battle against the Jedi Strike team on Tython. On that thought, it's very likely that he himself donned a suit of Orbalisks during his reign on Onderon, which is an inherent combat advantage.

Yep, that's how I picture it too.

quote:

Indeed, he even has quotes calling him the greatest Sith Sorcerer that had ever lived, (presumably up to his time)

The question is, who says this? Is it a narrator quote, or the opinion of some Jedi or Sith?

quote:
Even if it's not a feat, I find it pretty cool that both Exar Kun and Darth Zannah and others learned most of what they knew about Sorcery from his knowledge base.

It does establish he knew his stuff, yea.

quote:
Let's not forget that even as a spirit, a shell of his former self, he has some pretty viable feats. When Vodo Siosk Baas-one of the most powerful Jedi Masters-attempted to contact his apprentice through their Force Bond, Nadd reached out from across the galaxy, rebutted his attempts, and forced him to his knees. He also healed Exar Kun after the latter had broken countless bones in a rather impressive showing of mastery.

A fair point!

quote:

I'm maybe speaking a bit over-enthusiastically, but I really don't think you're giving Freedon Nadd enough credit.

I'll admit you raise a solid bit I was forgetting with his ghost feats, so yea.

Last edited by Q99 on Mar 11th, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2015 10:36 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Somebody better get on that long awaited Freedon Nadd book.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2015 10:48 PM
Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

thumb up

Old Post Mar 11th, 2015 10:49 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

@Q99: It's stated in either the Dark Side Sourcebook, or the TotJ companion. Can't remember which it was.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2015 01:00 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by NewGuy01
@Q99: It's stated in either the Dark Side Sourcebook, or the TotJ companion. Can't remember which it was.

http://i.imgur.com/JRX0yZ6.png

Last paragraph of the biographical shit

Notice how it seems like its being told from Nadd's perspective though

Granted, he's sort of vindicated with the kind of powers he learned to wield, but the statement falls incredibly flat were he not to have that accompanying it

Old Post Mar 12th, 2015 01:14 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote