KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How powerful is Darth Bane? [Discussion]

How powerful is Darth Bane? [Discussion]
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

How powerful is Darth Bane? [Discussion]

DISCLAIMER: Trolling or banter will NOT be tolerated in this thread.

There has been a lot of reporting / moderator issues going on lately with members, reporting people for expressing their personal opinions on Bane. This thread will, as a community, gather a respectable and reasonable approach for Bane that avoids bias or trolling. The idea is that, in the future, if a topic is reported for someone believing Bane dies, which happens quite a lot, we can simply link the moderators to this thread to understand that the majority of people do indeed place Darth Bane there, and that the minority is reporting people out of their own incredible bias. I posted some questions below to help start the discussion:

1.) Is Darth Bane the weakest member of the Rule of Two, which is the entire point of well... the Rule of Two?
2.) Does nexus' have a major impact on feats, and should they be used as an indication of power in Bane debates?
3.) Is Darth Bane, well, a powerful and skilled opponent, or was that what he wanted as the end product of the Rule of Two?

Also, just wanted to post some matchups to see where we all stand:

a.) Darth Bane vs Uthar Wynn
b.) Darth Bane vs Asajj Ventress
c.) Darth Bane vs Darth Maul
d.) Darth Bane vs Darth Vader
a). Darth Bane vs rots!Palpatine

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Aug 3rd, 2015 at 02:52 AM

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:37 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

laughing

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:39 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Please do not troll my thread. We want respectable opinions here, not worthless banter.

This is your only warning.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:40 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
laughing laughing laughing I see I pushed more than a few buttons there. umad, Ant? laughing laughing laughing

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:43 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Reported for harassment and trolling.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:45 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Reported for make a troll thread to harass me. That you made it mere minutes after an exchange with me is hysterically transparent.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:46 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Harass you? Where? And lol, we get into exchanges every hour. erm

Is every other thread I made on KMC an attack on you too?

The fact we can't simply discuss Bane without you flipping your shit is the reason this thread was made.

You are only further proving why we need a community effort like this.

Please do get the moderators involved. They admitted they don't really know much about EU characters, and this thread, as a community, will help them figure out where Bane should normally be placed to pick apart trolling from a respectable opinion.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:48 AM
Aurbere

I agree with Ant here. Personally, I'm having trouble placing Bane, so seeing the thoughts of others and where they place him is a good idea.

Neph, try to calm down, please.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:53 AM
Click here to Send Aurbere a Private Message Find more posts by Aurbere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Harass you? Where? And lol, we get into exchanges every hour. erm

Is every other thread I made on KMC an attack on you too?

The fact we can't simply discuss Bane without you flipping your shit is the reason this thread was made.

You are only further proving why we need a community effort like this.

Please do get the moderators involved. They admitted they don't really know much about EU characters, and this thread, as a community, will help them figure out where Bane should normally be placed to pick apart trolling from a respectable opinion.

Right. Maybe you should edit the OP again to make even less specific mentions of me, just to make it more clear how this thread totally isn't about harassing me.

This thread is nothing but an attempt on your part to get mod support behind your trolling and enforce a ruling on the character. It seems you're determined to prove Dmb wrong about how childish you really are.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:53 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I don't recall any mentions of you, unless they are rather broad of purely speculative in nature.

This thread has already established we will not tolerate trolling.

It would be impossible for the moderators to support whatever this "trolling" nonsense you're babbling about unless the majority literally supports it.

Or, perhaps, what you define as "trolling" is, in reality, how people see Bane. Or maybe not, and they are trolling - let's find out together.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:57 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Aurbere
I agree with Ant here. Personally, I'm having trouble placing Bane, so seeing the thoughts of others and where they place him is a good idea.

Someone understands. thumb up

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 02:58 AM
Aurbere

I'm going to make a post regarding the actual content of the thread now.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:04 AM
Click here to Send Aurbere a Private Message Find more posts by Aurbere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurbere

I don't really understand what is going on between you two (Neph and Ant), but it's kind of derailing a thread that can be very helpful. I for one believe that a community should have some understanding of a character if they prove controversial. So, with that in mind, I'll make my own contribution.

1.) Is Darth Bane the weakest member of the Rule of Two, which is the entire point of well... the Rule of Two?

I've always believed that this should be the case. He should logically be the weakest of the Rule of Two, since the point was to create a line to create a Sith strong enough to take down the Republic. And there are quotes saying this.

2.) Does nexus' have a major impact on feats, and should they be used as an indication of power in Bane debates?

They should, obviously, have an impact on his feats. They give him more power to draw on. I don't think they should be used as indications of his power.

3.) Is Darth Bane, well, a powerful and skilled opponent, or was that what he wanted as the end product of the Rule of Two?

He is obviously powerful and skilled, but not in the same league as the end of his line.

a.) Darth Bane vs Uthar Wynn

Win.

b.) Darth Bane vs Asajj Ventress

Win, perhaps.

c.) Darth Bane vs Darth Maul

Loses.

d.) Darth Bane vs Darth Vader

Loses.

a). Darth Bane vs rots!Palpatine

Loses pretty badly.

My thoughts. Maybe now the thread can go in the proper direction.

Last edited by Aurbere on Aug 3rd, 2015 at 03:10 AM

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:07 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I don't recall any mentions of you, unless they are rather broad of purely speculative in nature.

Omg you actually did it and now you're lying about it. Wow.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:09 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Nephthys
Omg you actually did it and now you're lying about it. Wow.

My last edit was 10:52 PM - your post telling me to do so was 10:53 PM.

Unless you didn't notice I mainly added the big bold "DISCLAIMER" thing.

Besides, if I did have your name, it's not there anymore, so no harm done. thumb up

Now please, leave the thread or say something useful to the discussion at hand.
---
@Aurbere: All interesting thoughts. I'll get back to you soon.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:12 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

They should, obviously, have an impact on his feats. They give him more power to draw on. I don't think they should be used as indications of his power.

Honestly feel the benefits of a nexus are over hyped tbh

They're are some fairly notable showings by Jedi on fairly potent dark side nexus that, were nexuses to give exponential/multiplicative growth in power to Dark Siders... would make the Light Siders performing these fairly solid feats ****ing monsters considering the nexuses should probably drop them by the same root/divisor as the exponent/muliplier (why would the opposite side of the force suffer weaker effects, right?)

Thon on Ambria and Bastila's nigh indistinguishable showings in Battle Meditation on the Star Forge pre and post redemption come to mind

Granted, put less than 5 minutes of thought into this the other day, but eh.

Just something to spark discussion because bored.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:15 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aurbere

@Aurbere: All interesting thoughts. I'll get back to you soon.

Take your time. I am very curious what your thoughts and the thoughts of others will be. I've been thinking of using Bane for a vs somewhere, so I'd like to know where people really place him.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:16 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Neph, try to calm down, please.

That's the point of the versus forum.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:18 AM
Aurbere

Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Honestly feel the benefits of a nexus are over hyped tbh

They're are some fairly notable showings by Jedi on fairly potent dark side nexus that, were nexuses to give exponential/multiplicative growth in power to Dark Siders... would make the Light Siders performing these fairly solid feats ****ing monsters considering the nexuses should probably drop them by the same root/divisor as the exponent/muliplier (why would the opposite side of the force suffer weaker effects, right?)

Thon on Ambria and Bastila's nigh indistinguishable showings in Battle Meditation on the Star Forge pre and post redemption come to mind

Granted, put less than 5 minutes of thought into this the other day, but eh.

Just something to spark discussion because bored.

Fair enough. But I never really stated how much the nexus affects an individual, merely that they shouldn't be indications of power under certain circumstances. I mean, we wouldn't say Vjun Dooku is the same as the Dooku who appears in ROTS, right?

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:19 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Thon on Ambria and Bastila's nigh indistinguishable showings in Battle Meditation on the Star Forge pre and post redemption come to mindd.

For Bastila at least, I was always under the impression that somehow Battle Meditation cancels out the effects of a nexus due to BM's empowering nature.

Like, Exar Kun is simply unable to draw on the light side due to the nexus' of Korriban and Yavin IV - both which don't even compare to the Star Forge.

For Thon, interesting thinking. However, the feat is regarded as legendary for a reason, tbh. I also bet it took a lot of effort, energies, strain, etc to do it.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2015 03:19 AM